How Much Local Programming is in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tds4182

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Kingwood,Texas
If this has been covered before I apologize in advance.

My question is this, how many local stations are broadcasting their programming (not the network feeds during prime time) in HD?

I would think the bigger market local stations such as NY or LA may already be doing this, but I wonder how many of the small to mid-size local market stations have begun to broadcast their local news or other local interest programs in HD. Many brag about sending out a digital signal, but that's not always an HD signal.

Is there anyplace to find out?

W*USA (CBS) in DC and K*USA (NBC) in Denver are both broadcasting local news in HD if I'm not mistaken.

NETV - Nebraska PBS has a mobile HD truck that covers Cornhusker games and some other events, I think. No other local HD content that I've seen on other stations though.

WRAL-DT - Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville, NC - broadcasting 1080i
WRAL offers local newscasts and original HDTV productions, including Wilderness North Carolina, Pops in the Park, the moving of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, and documentaries on North Carolina's water quality and The Sistine Chapel. In July and August 2000, WRAL Digital teamed up with Japan's NHK to provide the first live gavel-to-gavel HDTV coverage of both the Republican and Democratic national conventions. WRAL also carries the full CBS HDTV line up.

KING-DT - Seattle - broadcasting 1080i
In addition to NBC HDTV, KING also produces local news and a local news magazine in HDTV.

KOMO-DT - Seattle - broadcasting 720p
In addition to ABC HDTV, KOMO also produces local news and a local variety show in HDTV.

KSL-DT - Salt Lake City - broadcasting 1080i & 480i SDTV
In addition to offering NBC HDTV, Music and the Spoken Word, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's syndicated weekly program is produced in HDTV. Eyewitness News and other news-related local programming is produced in 480i 16:9 widescreen.

WDIV-DT - Detroit - broadcasting 1080i
In addition to carrying NBC HDTV programming, WDIV-DT initiated local HDTV production with coverage of the 2002 Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade

KUSA-DT - Denver - broadcasting 1080i
In addition to broadcasting local news in HD, KUSA also carries NBC HD programming. They recently became the first local station to broadcast live HD video from a helicopter

WJW-DT - Cleveland - broadcasting 720p
In addition to FOX HDTV, WJW also produces local news in HDTV

WUSA-DT - Washington DC - broadcasting 1080i
In addition to CBS HDTV, WUSA offers local news in HDTV

hdtvtechno said:
WRAL-DT - Raleigh-Durham-Fayetteville, NC - broadcasting 1080i
WRAL offers local newscasts and original HDTV productions, including Wilderness North Carolina, Pops in the Park, the moving of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, and documentaries on North Carolina's water quality and The Sistine Chapel. In July and August 2000, WRAL Digital teamed up with Japan's NHK to provide the first live gavel-to-gavel HDTV coverage of both the Republican and Democratic national conventions. WRAL also carries the full CBS HDTV line up.

KING-DT - Seattle - broadcasting 1080i
In addition to NBC HDTV, KING also produces local news and a local news magazine in HDTV.

KOMO-DT - Seattle - broadcasting 720p
In addition to ABC HDTV, KOMO also produces local news and a local variety show in HDTV.

KSL-DT - Salt Lake City - broadcasting 1080i & 480i SDTV
In addition to offering NBC HDTV, Music and the Spoken Word, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's syndicated weekly program is produced in HDTV. Eyewitness News and other news-related local programming is produced in 480i 16:9 widescreen.

WDIV-DT - Detroit - broadcasting 1080i
In addition to carrying NBC HDTV programming, WDIV-DT initiated local HDTV production with coverage of the 2002 Detroit Thanksgiving Day Parade

KUSA-DT - Denver - broadcasting 1080i
In addition to broadcasting local news in HD, KUSA also carries NBC HD programming. They recently became the first local station to broadcast live HD video from a helicopter

WJW-DT - Cleveland - broadcasting 720p
In addition to FOX HDTV, WJW also produces local news in HDTV

WUSA-DT - Washington DC - broadcasting 1080i
In addition to CBS HDTV, WUSA offers local news in HDTV

Thanks to hdtvtechno!

Thanks for the post, hdtvtechno.

But you missed the easy one: WGN-DT Chicago does home White Sox, Cubs and Bulls games in HD, too. ;)

(WTTW-DT Chicago produces Sound Stage as well, but that might not count as they feed it to PBS nationally.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)