How much of an improvement would I see from a 31" to a 36" or 39"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

qwert1515

SatelliteGuys TheList
Original poster
Sep 26, 2005
Los Angeles CA
I currently have a Fortec 31" dish and I can pick up most KU band FTA, but I can not get some of the weaker transponders, I can pick up most KU FTA with a quality of 40 - 70 % how much of a quality improvement would I see upgrading to a 39" vs. a 36" the price is about 70$ more. Is it worth to upgrade to a 39" or will the 36" be fine. I live in Southern California.

Thanks

I use a 36" dish and Invacom LNBF, with signal quality in the 70 to 99% range, so the bigger dish will really help with weak signals and during rain storms. Rain has never really been a problem for me since moving to the 36" dish and using "Kings Rain Shield" on my dish and LNBF.

Check the FTA review section.

I think Ice did a review of a bigger dish some time back.
The general comments in that thread pushed me to get a 36" over a base 30" when I ordered mine.
At the time, the cost difference was modest.
Shipping for the 39" was a joke.

Got a better LNB at the same time (again, see review of Invacom LNB).
Figured a little extra up-front cost was minor for a long-term gain.

...as for the overpriced snake oil, I think that's been adequately debunked (explained) if you'll just do some searching. ;)

Last edited:
the 36" will help but some transponders it just wont pickup due to the low level :)

I use a 36" for G10 and a 30" for everything else (sounds weird but the way I have everything mounted a 36 wont work on the roof. Not evnough clearance)

Anole said:
...as for the overpriced snake oil, I think that's been adequately debunked (explained) if you'll just do some searching. ;)

Another person who has never tried it :rolleyes:

Rain Shield WORKS!

http://www.psbsatellite.com/Rain_Shield.html

Its GOOD enough for Scott the owner of this forum (who got a case) , Sadoun and many many thousands of users who actually HAVE the product who have actually seen it work!

Last edited:
Iceberg said:
the 36" will help but some transponders it just wont pickup due to the low level :)
I use a 36" for G10 and a 30" for everything else (sounds weird but the way I have everything mounted a 36 wont work on the roof. Not evnough clearance)

Thanks PSB, Anole, and Iceberg,

Iceberg you stated that you have a 30" and a 36" could you roughly tell me the quality levels you get on (g10r 11720 V) The Tubes old Ku transponder with those dishes.

Thanks

with the 30" on my Pansat 1500--roughly a 30-33
With the 36" on the same receiver--about a 42-45

Here in Laguna Niguel, I would go to 39". On a 40X30 Primestar dish, AMC 9 and IA 8 pick up 99% of the signals. You put a 36X27 Primestar dish on those birds, you get maybe 20% of the signals. IA 8 is a new bird and 40X30 works great, but the smaller dish stunk.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)