How Often do D* Receivers Dial Out?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DodgerKing

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
SoCal
I just got an Ooma and one nice feature is that I can go on-line and check my call log. I noticed that I get about 10 to 20 calls made to an 800 or an 866 number. When I called the number myself I just got a modem. I researched and found that these numbers are the numbers the DirecTV DVRs and receivers call out to.

My question is, why do they call out about 10 times a day? Shouldn't one time be enough? Each call is about 20 seconds in duration.

I just got an Ooma and one nice feature is that I can go on-line and check my call log. I noticed that I get about 10 to 20 calls made to an 800 or an 866 number. When I called the number myself I just got a modem. I researched and found that these numbers are the numbers the DirecTV DVRs and receivers call out to.

My question is, why do they call out about 10 times a day? Shouldn't one time be enough? Each call is about 20 seconds in duration.

The issue is OOMA and not the receivers. They keep redialing as there not completing the call. the only problem is I know it can be fixed by dialing the ooma fax press which is like *99 or something like that before hand. only problem is I havent looked in ages but I dont think our receivers give a option to dial a prefix like that .

I'd just unhook the phone line. I haven't had any receivers hooked up in over seven years (haven't had a land line in that time) and I've had no issues. All three of my HRs are connected to the 'net, though, which fulfills the same purpose for PPV/reportbacks AFAIK.

I want my phone line hooked up because of caller ID. I like to see who is calling so I know not to go around the house looking for the phone to pick it up for telemarketers. The phone is never near me when it rings.

I digress. Shouldn't it NOT call out when you have Ethernet hooked up?

Reasons to have a phone line hooked up

1) Caller ID - only benefits those who use it and like it.
2) Ordering pay per views - benefits customers who do this as it is easier and cheaper then calling D* for a movie. However, you can order through the internet too. - Benefits D* as you are more likely to order movies if all you have to do is push a button on the remote.
3) Security - if all the receivers dial out the same #, D* knows they are in the same place. This obviously only benefits them.

Just disconnect the phone line since you have an ethernet connection unless you want caller ID.

what is this phone line you speak of?

Is that the power cord I plug into my cell to recharge it? ;)

Reasons to have a phone line hooked up
Just disconnect the phone line since you have an ethernet connection unless you want caller ID.
I want my caller ID, because most of the time the phone rings I am watching TV and the phone is no where to be found. I get up to find it and it ends up being someone or something I do not want to answer.

Nice to see who is calling so I know if I need to get up and find the phone to answer it. :p

Figured out the problem. The hub that I had both my DirecTV and HAVA box attached to went out, so my DVR lost its connection to the network. That is why it kept trying to dial out. This means I am one port short and can only plug one of the devices into my Router

Cool solution. The Ooma box is made to go between the modem and the router (it has an Ethernet in and Ethernet out port). I put it after my router instead because it was slowing down my network. This used up the one extra port I had left on my router. Because I was without a port for my DVR, I plugged the DVR's Ethernet connection to the Ooma Ethernet out port, and it works. I am able to still access the network and internet on my HR20.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts