Status
Please reply by conversation.

SatinKzo

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 22, 2004
Louisiana
Just curious how often you guys scan satellites for new (or wild) feeds? Any satellite seem to be more fun to scan than others?

Just curious as I just got my FTA setup on IA5 and have yet to add a motor (probably in the fall) so I want to setup stationary on a sat that warrants scanning.

note: I have only rescanned IA5 a couple times since setting up.

IA5 seems to change alot

Depends on the day...During college football season on a typical Saturday I scan SBS6, AMC5, G11, and IA8 constantly (about once an hour)

I usually scan SBS6, IA8, AMC5 and AMC2 on occasion.

For news feeds I have scanned IA6 once an hour at night (depednign on how much time I have)

At least once a day for IA5 (it seems to constantly change). For G10R, AMC3, and AMC4, I might miss a day (not very often). For IA7 at least once a week, and rarely for ECHO 7.

Optical Serenity said:
How do you handle the channels? Do you delete your channel list then go scan?

I pop the SD card out and rearrage by sat with channel master on the PC then pop it back in. I hate using the remote for channel editing.

I used to scan various birds about once a week when I had the sg2100, but after my motor died a while back, and I now just got the dish going as a stationary on g10 over the last 48 hours, I won't be doing that much, if ever since g10r stations don't change often. When I was doing this stuff often, I'd randomly blind scan SBS6, IA6, IA8, AMCs, and on rare occassion the echostars and nimiqs.

Hated blind scanning Echostars and Nimiqs since there were so many blasted tps, and almost the majority of them were encrypted... however, blind scanning 148 and 91 and a couple of other echostars did get me a few channels on occassion. Most of those channels came and went within 2-3 weeks or less. I think right now there's a bit of a hacker vs dishnetwork war going on. I'm no hacker, and don't advise you to be either... but sometimes, in war there's casualties and pows...

I think sometimes on occassions as Dishnetwork and Bell Expressvu keep changing their tactics on the chess set to keep the hackers from getting encrypted channels through less than legal methods there's an occassional channel or two that will end up being unencrypted and be in the clear a while when it should really be encrypted and will go back to being encrypted as soon as they find it. You'd think their protocols and procedures would keep that from happening, but I guess, like all things on this world, when humans get in the mix things are not perfect.

Last edited:
I scan a satellite about once a week. Although in the 2 weeks or so that I have had IA5 (maybe its only been a week), I have scanned it several times.

I know on the Foretec ultra, if you find a new channel it will just tack it on the end of the list, it won't re-add any channel you already have. This makes it real easy to drop anything that disappears.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)