How often do you power cycle your Hopper?

kevinsickles

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
I have the original Hopper. It seems more often it is getting very sluggish and by sluggish I mean frequently 2 to 5 seconds between button pushes, If I hit multiple commands they even que up but execute slowly. A hard power off/on fixes the problem for a while. 3 or 4 days? What is annoying is that if it gets sluggish while recording several shows, the reboot of course messes up the recordings, so I typically wait until a time window i am not recording to reboot.
Is it just me or are others experiencing these issues?
I have an x10 system, so perhaps I should schedule a regular power on/off?

Last edited:
Now that you mention it my Hopper was also very sluggish. It never occurred to me to reboot it. I though that was only a Windows requirement. When changing it out for my new HWS I did notice it was more snappy. I have been switching back and forth "trying" to transfer 1.2 TB of programming to my EHD.

I haven't noticed any issues until the latest S418 update and a couple of times, it got extremely sluggish. It was during PTAT though, so I didn't want to reboot it then. It got better but it slowed down again.

When we had the 622, I would reboot it once a week (if I remembered).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I never reboot my Hopper. Its has gotten sluggish and sometimes has delayed response to the remote. All since S418 was downloaded.

I have never had to do it since my Hopper and HWS install almost a year ago. However, I have noticed my Hopper is a little less responsive and I am also getting black screens on my joey's since the last software updates that are linked to the HWS.

You really don't need to restart the hoppers, however this is normally the first thing a CSR will tell you to do when you call in about an issue. It won't hurt them to do so but just keep in mind that just like any thing else with a moving part that starting and stopping only makes it hard on the parts. If you have a traditional computer with a HDD then just leave it turned on but have it turn the monitors off and that's it, if it has a SSD then its ok to turn it off and on as the parts are not moving aside from the fans but do keep in mind there is a fan in the PSU and just like the Hopper's fan can fail or even worse that HDD could fail from a continues restart. I suggest putting the hoppers on backup batteries when I install them and advise the cost of them is pretty good when you figure out its basically a computer itself and will help keep it stable and clean power vs brown or dirty power abusing it.

I have never had to do it since my Hopper and HWS install almost a year ago. However, I have noticed my Hopper is a little less responsive and I am also getting black screens on my joey's since the last software updates that are linked to the HWS.

This is the exact same problem I had yesterday. The Hopper 2000 was less responsive, then a few hours later the Joey's screen went back. Also, every day or two the Caller ID quits after the first call of the day.

Before the recent problems, I would never reset the Hopper. Now, it does well to make it more than two days.

Dave

Mine got quite sluggish when S418 was installed. I even had two recordings interrupted. I was close to calling Dish about a possible replacement Hopper when the problems went away. It has been fine for at least the last week. I assume that they sent a bug fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts