How often is Dish Network using my phone line in each 24hrs>

This is a very curious question for me. Honestly, I thought when connected to a phone line it dialed in once a month. Ethernet seems to be more frequent, even daily. When did you notice it being more frequently? What kind of phone usage is it seeing in a 24 hour period? You mentioned in 24 hours, so I assume it is more then twice and not at the nightly update time. I do not remember seeing a software update to change frequency, and that is why I would like to look at this. How did you come to determine the receiver is using the phone?

This is a very curious question for me. Honestly, I thought when connected to a phone line it dialed in once a month. Ethernet seems to be more frequent, even daily. When did you notice it being more frequently? What kind of phone usage is it seeing in a 24 hour period? You mentioned in 24 hours, so I assume it is more then twice and not at the nightly update time. I do not remember seeing a software update to change frequency, and that is why I would like to look at this. How did you come to determine the receiver is using the phone?
\
I have two receivers, a 622 & 722. One is set to "Update" at 2AM and the other at 3AM.
I have a signal light in my office/shop room that lights up when phone line is in use. The 622 is in my bedroom and is easy to hear "hardrive" spinning when phone line is in use. In past it would run for about a minute--that changed about 1 1/2 or 2 years ago to a few seconds. I now see the phone line in use as much as 3/4 times during the daylight hours. When I pick up the phone I get odd sounds like a computer is connected, which I assume is Dish Network??

Best part is that Dish is downloading the recorded and view data and sell the information ... LOL.

No phone or Internet line is needed at all. Mostly BS from Dish to make $$ by essentially spying on you. Since they also have the receiver number, hence name & location, they have demographic information making the data much more valuable.

Mine isn't connected and it won't be. Dish can take it or leave it and I won't (and don't) pay a "fee" for it either.

Now I'm sure your local CSR will deny everything ... I wonder why?

rexlan said:
Best part is that Dish is downloading the recorded and view data and sell the information ... LOL.

No phone or Internet line is needed at all. Mostly BS from Dish to make $$ by essentially spying on you. Since they also have the receiver number, hence name & location, they have demographic information making the data much more valuable.

Mine isn't connected and it won't be. Dish can take it or leave it and I won't (and don't) pay a "fee" for it either.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

"rexlan", I don't understand your post. Are you saying the only reason for my phone line being plug in to the receiver is for Dish to spy on me and me to receive PPV stuff from them?
I also have no idea what "Jimmerinwi" is posting on this thread for--maybe a mistake?

tin-foil-hat.jpg

TonyT@DISH Network said:
This is a very curious question for me. Honestly, I thought when connected to a phone line it dialed in once a month. Ethernet seems to be more frequent, even daily. When did you notice it being more frequently? What kind of phone usage is it seeing in a 24 hour period? You mentioned in 24 hours, so I assume it is more then twice and not at the nightly update time.

More like 993 times a day via Internet.

"rexlan", I don't understand your post. Are you saying the only reason for my phone line being plug in to the receiver is for Dish to spy on me and me to receive PPV stuff from them?
I also have no idea what "Jimmerinwi" is posting on this thread for--maybe a mistake?

If you do PPV you probably need a phone or an Internet connection.

I don't and would not do PPV ... hell I already give them over $100/month now.

If you don't do PPV you don't need a phone line or an Internet connection except to let Dish collect your viewing data and sell the information to 3rd parties. Jimmerinwi was just agreeing. Cosmno Kramer ... humm - not sure if he has shorted out or not.

Could you give a source for this “information”? Or is this something happening in your paranoid imagination? Who would they sell this information too, how much would they pay, and why?

Could you give a source for this “information”? Or is this something happening in your paranoid imagination? Who would they sell this information too, how much would they pay, and why?
The information is most likely marketed, but we're talking about total numbers, counts of viewers, etc., not personal viewing habits. For someone to be that concerned that a provider with 14 million subscribers is spying on them, there would have to be some sort of psychosis involved, or maybe some program viewing that they're embarrassed about.

It seems like the usage is a lot more than it was a year or so ago?

I can tell you on the boxes I have connected to only a phone line, they call in EVERY DAY! I know this by checking the counters menu. Now, it is in the wee hours of the night and toll free and only for like less than a minute, so there is no impact on my phone usage or cost. So, in short: I don't care that it calls everyday as it does. In my case I have 6 boxes, so I guess Dish is very is very interested in me. I've noticed the daily calls for almost a year now.

What land of Ozz did you say you lived in? Come on -- no one is that naive are you?

The information is most likely marketed, but we're talking about total numbers, counts of viewers, etc., not personal viewing habits. For someone to be that concerned that a provider with 14 million subscribers is spying on them, there would have to be some sort of psychosis involved, or maybe some program viewing that they're embarrassed about.

Exactly

What land of Ozz did you say you lived in? Come on -- no one is that naive are you?
My wife uses the phone line much more than I do and she notices it much more than I do. The phones we have in our home don't allow you to punch in the 10 digit number you are calling while listing for a dial tone. With Dish using the line multiple times during day it messes up some calls.

More like 993 times a day via Internet.

Internet is ok. This is phone usage though, and its strange. It almost sounds like the box isn't making a happy connection and keeps trying later on. If you press Menu-6-1-4, it will take you to Phone System. What does it say for prefix code and dial type? Also, who is the phone provider and do you have to enable fax/data?

TonyT, As you ask, I have "Prefix 256--Touch tone highlighted --At&t service". The 256 prefix was added this year in my area. In other words I have to dial a 10 digit phone number for local calls, even. Some calls in the 256 area are long distance call and I have to add 1 before dialing. I hope all this makes sense, it sure doesn't to my 5 wireless phones as they have numbers stored in them, that are not valid. Thanks for your help!!

Internet is ok. This is phone usage though, and its strange. It almost sounds like the box isn't making a happy connection and keeps trying later on. If you press Menu-6-1-4, it will take you to Phone System. What does it say for prefix code and dial type? Also, who is the phone provider and do you have to enable fax/data?

That would be the issue right there. Prefix is the number that the receiver has to dial to get an outside line. That being said, the receiver is dialing 256, then dialing the 800 number. Too many digits and it isn't working, which is likely leading to the receiver trying multiple times. Empty the field for prefix, as it should be blank, and you should be good to go. It will stop dialing out as often. AT&T is not the issue on this. Thanks for letting me know.

Next round of an old problem, 722K terminating recordings early

External Hard Drive Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)