How painless and quick was your "move"?

I'm tired of getting the run-around from Dish over HD LiLs in Vt or when the rest of HD DNS are coming, so I'm seriously thinking of "moving" far enough south to get the Boston LiLs.

Two questions: Are the Boston LiLs (which now include HD LiLs) on spot beam and if so, how far into Vt does it reach? I think a couple of the southern counties in Vt are part of the Boston DMA and years ago I used to get the distant nets from Boston but they may not have been on spot back then.

i was thinking of moving to new jersey to pick up the nyc hd locals. right now i live in central pa. and get the johnstown/altoona dma locals along with the nyc and la distants. if i were to call and change my service address to northern nj and then go online to the add local channels site and add the nyc locals, do you think i will immediately lose my current local and distants or do you think it will slip by for some time. also would i lose my current foxsports pittsburgh? thanks for any help.

does anyone know if salt lake citys HD locals are on spotbeam? how do i find this out? what about denver hd/sd locals?

Last edited:
dead3ye said:
I'm considering "moving" from the Harrisburg DMA to somewhere in the Washington DC/Harrisburg DMA.

I was wondering how quick the move is and how long it takes to get the new locals activated. Of coarse my phone number will not change and I'm looking at upgrading to a Vip211.

Is there anything I need to do in advance or answers to questions that might come up?

I actually moved from Colorado to Florida...%$%#^$ CSR can't speak English and now I live on "fouest" Road (actually it is Forrest)...

Sheesh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

waltinvt said:
I'm tired of getting the run-around from Dish over HD LiLs in Vt or when the rest of HD DNS are coming, so I'm seriously thinking of "moving" far enough south to get the Boston LiLs.

Two questions: Are the Boston LiLs (which now include HD LiLs) on spot beam and if so, how far into Vt does it reach? I think a couple of the southern counties in Vt are part of the Boston DMA and years ago I used to get the distant nets from Boston but they may not have been on spot back then.

IF the spotbeam is s04, it looks like that extends from Maine (where I am) to Maryland.

http://www.echostaruser.com/

Last edited:
if you qualified under a whte area and move to any other area that has LIL you automatically lose permanetely your distants.....

if you have distants pay your bill, avoid unnecessary program package changes and dont move.

since any of these will cost you your distants permanetely

woohoo!!! WHAG approved my NBC waiver, now I'm finally 4 for 4 :D
I love you Chambersburg :up
Well, except next month when I have to go there for a "teambuilding" exercise for work on a Saturday. Unfortunately my idea of Paintball & Beer was overruled and we have to do something "structured".

Bob Haller said:
if you qualified under a whte area and move to any other area that has LIL you automatically lose permanetely your distants.....

if you have distants pay your bill, avoid unnecessary program package changes and dont move.

since any of these will cost you your distants permanetely

Yea, I know but I'm starting to think Dish is going to bag out of HD DNS or at least not bother until they've done all they're going to do with HD LiLs for a while.

So if I can "move" and pick up Boston LiLs (which now include the 4 HD nets), then I don't really need the NY SD Distants anymore. So back to my original questions:

Are Boston LiLs on spot beam and how far North can they be picket up?

This thread and this board has been great. Here is my situation and what I have done.

First of all, I live in Austin, TX. I am a Texas Rangers fan (not sure why) and only get the games on my RSN which is FoxSW. FOXSW only shows half of the games, the other half are on the Dallas UPN station. The Austin UPN station also carries the Ranger games from the Dallas affiliate but Dish Network does not include the Austin UPN station as part of the local package and I am too far away to pick it up OTA.

Secondly, my finace' just moved last summer from Philadelphia. She is really homesick and getting the Philly locals would be a good thing for her and for me!

I wanted two things. 1) To be able to see all the Ranger games instead of half and 2) get the Philly locals for my finace'.

So, I did some research. I figured out what satellite the Dallas locals where on and it was probable that I was well within the spotbeam coverage for that satellite. I also figured out that the Philly locals were on spotbeam and I had no chance of getting them. However, the Philly HD locals were on 61.5 and NOT spotbeam.

Step 1: I called the customer service line and requested that my service address change to an address in Dallas. I used my cousin's address but I suppose that I could have just looked in the phonebook and used any address. I requested that my billing address and phone number stay the same. I don't own a home phone, haven't in some years so there is no phone line hooked up to any of my receiveres.

Step2: After they changed my service address, I logged onto my online account and went to the add programming section. It said that the D/FW locals were available. So I added them. Within a minute or so, I had the D/FW locals. The Austin locals were still there too!

Step3: About 1 week later, I removed my DishPro Dual from my Dish 1000 that had been looking at 129 and hooked it up to a Dish 500. Pointed the dish to 61.5 and locked on to the satellite.

Step4: I called customer service again and moved my service address to my finace's parents address in Philadelphia. Again leaving the billing address the same.

Step5: Logged back on to my online account and added the Philadelphia locals. I am not able to get all the locals but am able to get the ones that are in HD on 61.5. That includes FOX, CBS, ABC, NBC. Those are the ones I care about.

In conclusion, I have the Austin locals, Austin HD channels via OTA, Dallas locals and Philly HD Locals. I lost my RSN, FOXSN, by moving to Philadelphia but I bought the MLB EI package and now receive all the Ranger games that way.

In hindsight, I probably should have moved only once to Philly (skipped the Dallas move) and added the MLB EI package or after I added the Philly chanells, moved back to Dallas, regain the RSN, and avoid paying for the MLB EI package.

It was a lot of work, and will be kinda expenseive but its worth it.

waltinvt said:
Are Boston LiLs on spot beam and how far North can they be picket up?
None of the HD LiL's are on spot beam yet.
But Rainbow 1 @ 61.5 does have spotbeam capability, so the HD LiL's there can go spotbeam whenever Dish feels up to it. 129 does not have spotbeam capability until Ceil puts their bird there late 2007.

Anyone hook up their phone line after moving to avoid the dual receiver fee? I have mine plugged in, but set it to dial 2 as a prefix effectively disabling the dialout.

j.vo said:
Anyone hook up their phone line after moving to avoid the dual receiver fee? I have mine plugged in, but set it to dial 2 as a prefix effectively disabling the dialout.

I had two 942's that were never hooked up to a phone line. I now have a 622 and do have it hooked up to a phone line. Still do not have the 942 on a phone line. Have never had any problems. With the way phone numbers work these days, I do not think it should be an issue.

should I wait until after my 622 install to change my "service address" because of the installer going to the wrong address? Thanks any help would be great

Does anyone know if I "move" from St. Louis to Chicago, will I be able to pickup Chicago HD LiL's? I was trying to determine what satellite they are on and the spotbeam coverage. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)