How sad... and big time girls basketball prospected gunned down due to mistaken identity...

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
...it is so sad to see things like this happen. :(

Top girls hoops prospect shot dead in NYC housing project

By Cameron Smith
Mon Sep 12 08:15am EDT

In a tragic turn of events on the 10th anniversary of the most tragic day in New York City history, one of the top girls basketball prospects in the nation was gunned down in her Manhattan housing project in an incident that family members and friends contend was a horrific case of mistaken identity.

According to the New York Daily News, New York Post, ESPN New York and a variety of other sources, 18-year-old Tayshana Murphy (who was nicknamed Chicken), was shot and killed in Harlem's Grant Houses housing project around 4:10 a.m. on Sunday morning. The Daily News reported that friends and at least one witness told officials that she was attempting to out run a gunman in a hallway of her building when she was killed.

Murphy, a 5-foot-6 senior at New York (N.Y.) Murry Bergtraum High, was considered one of the top guard prospects in the nation and had received recruiting interest from a variety of collegiate programs. The teen planned to use her basketball talents to improve her future and help her family leave the projects which eventually claimed her life.

Yet the circumstances around her shooting are so tragic and troubling that they may threaten to overshadow many of the accomplishments of her bright life. According to the Daily News, Murphy was wearing a hooded sweatshirt at a party with friends from her project when she was chased by the gunman in question. According to some who were at the party, Murphy was mistaken by her assailant for a boy who was wearing the same sweatshirt, and protested her innocence to the gunman.

"She was pleading for her life," Teka Taylor, one of Murphy's close friends, told the Daily News. "She was saying, 'No, please, I don't have nothing to do with it.'"

Top girls hoops prospect shot dead in NYC housing project - Prep Rally - High School Blog - Yahoo! Sports

now just out of curiosity why do they need to mention "housing projects"....like that really makes a difference?

Here in Minneapolis we have "housing projects" too yet on the news they say "________ neighborhood" not "___________ housing projects"

Good point... But does it really matter if they are out at 4:00am or not... ? :-(
Salsa, more crap like this occurs around those hours. The Cincinnati paper reports a story like this almost every day. I tell both my daughter and my son to get their partying done and get home before 2AM. I know this won't always happen (I didn't do it...but was a different world then), but it sure decreases the chances of this type of thing.

I hate to read things like this.

Salsa, more crap like this occurs at these hours. The Cincinnati papers have a story every day like this. I tell both my daughter and my son to get their partying done and get home before 2AM. I know this won't always happen (I didn't do it...but was a different world then), but it sure decreases the chances of this type of thing.

I hate to read things like this.

Yeah, it's like Herm Edwards says at his symposium for NFL rookies...a lot of bad things happen after midnight.

Sandra

When I was in high school I wasn't aloud to be out past 11pm, there is no reason a high school kid to be out that late, if you're out past midnight you're up to no good.

When I was in high school I wasn't aloud to be out past 11pm, there is no reason a high school kid to be out that late, if you're out past midnight you're up to no good.

I wasn't allowed out past then either unless it was the weekend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)