How the Patriots (and their fans) can get back some level of respect

I still remember the infamous "tuck" play against the Raiders...Oh, I mean the incomplete pass. The Pats really should have never won their first title. That call was complete Bull Sh*t. Don't make comments about the refs giving other teams the calls and letting them get away with penalties. We could also go back to the AFC championship against the Colts three years ago when the Colts receivers were being held on nearly every play...with none being called.

Did the Jets spy on the Patriots, too? -- Newsday.com

Now that is classic when the snitches actually did the "crime", too.

Here are some quotes from Jimmy Johnson, Great former coach of the Cowboys.

Jimmy Johnson: Howard Mudd 'Was the Best in the Entire League at Stealing Signals' - FanHouse - AOL Sports Blog

Who is Howard Mudd, well he is the offensive line coach of the Vatican, errrr, Indianapolis Colts.

Audio Link
WFAN - The Fan - 9-28 Jimmy Johnson

Quotes from the Interview.

Q: Did you ever steal signals? JJ: Oh in a heartbeat, yeah.

Yes I did. Q: Via video, Jimmy?

Or no? JJ: Oh yeah, I did it with video and so did a lot of other teams in the league.

Just to make sure that you could study it and take your time, because you're going to play the other team the second time around.

But a lot of coaches did it, this was commonplace. Q: But did you do it by taping the signal caller? JJ: Yeah. Q: Oh you did. JJ: That's what I'm saying.

So are the Cowboys 3 titles in the 90's tainted, absolutely NOT!

Jimmy Johnson: Howard Mudd 'Was the Best in the Entire League at Stealing Signals' - FanHouse - AOL Sports Blog

Who is Howard Mudd, well he is the offensive line coach of the Vatican, errrr, Indianapolis Colts.

You missed the two most important parts of that story (never mind the fact that most of my original post in this thread had nothing to do with spygate):

1. He said Mudd "was" the best when he was with KC, but didn't say anything about him now, and he never said Mudd used video.

2. This quote:
Johnson and Patriots coach Bill Belichick are buddies -- Johnson says during the interview that the two of them go fishing together every off-season -- so it's no surprise that Johnson would try to minimize Belichick's transgressions.

This smacks of a guy trying to make his friend look better by calling out the team "on the other side" - the team that most of the country views as the antithesis of his buddy's team...

Then again, I'm a Colts fan, so it doesn't really matter how I feel about how the Patriots conduct themselves. I don't have to apologize for anything my team does, and that's what I care about. If you guys are ok with the way your team handles it's business, good for you.

I still remember the infamous "tuck" play against the Raiders...Oh, I mean the incomplete pass. The Pats really should have never won their first title. That call was complete Bull Sh*t. Don't make comments about the refs giving other teams the calls and letting them get away with penalties. We could also go back to the AFC championship against the Colts three years ago when the Colts receivers were being held on nearly every play...with none being called.

Oh and how you forget to list the Pats mystery late hit on the Raiders in the 70's which cost the Pats in the playoffs!

The tuck rule is a rule and it still applies today. Because you Danny decide its a BS call I guess its true.

Oh so now what, we are complaining about non calls?

I think you all should sit back and enjoy greatness and bow down and thank the Pats for allowing you to witness the greatest team post salary cap era team to play football.

You can question the past (after all they were caught trying to tape), but you cant question THIS season.

Now all together bow down in awe of the greatness that is the 2007-2008 New England Patriots! :bow:clap:bow:clap:yes

:down:river:down:river
Then again, I'm a Colts fan, so it doesn't really matter how I feel about how the Patriots conduct themselves. I don't have to apologize for anything my team does, and that's what I care about. If you guys are ok with the way your team handles it's business, good for you.

Could be worse. I could be a Colts fan. A fan of a team who abandoned a city in the middle of the night. Pack up the Mayflower trucks baby Indy or bust!

Then be saddled with that whiner Bill Polian. Oh lets start emphasizing rules that help MY team! Lets complain to everyone that will listen.
That guy is one giant d$ck mitten.

So dont peddle that Colts holier than thou thing in this house. The Colts sold out their fans for a couple of bucks. Even John Elway couldnt stand the thought of being a Colt.

Oh and how you forget to list the Pats mystery late hit on the Raiders in the 70's which cost the Pats in the playoffs!

The tuck rule is a rule and it still applies today. Because you Danny decide its a BS call I guess its true.

Oh so now what, we are complaining about non calls?

I think you all should sit back and enjoy greatness and bow down and thank the Pats for allowing you to witness the greatest team post salary cap era team to play football.

You can question the past (after all they were caught trying to tape), but you cant question THIS season.

Now all together bow down in awe of the greatness that is the 2007-2008 New England Patriots! :bow:clap:bow:clap:yes

Actually, I DID give the Pats credit for their efforts this season as you will see on my first post in this thread on page 2. I only made a comment about bad/non calls because others said it was the only reason the Colts won last year. The tuck rule I was referring to was reversed because of the refs interpretation of the rule. Every sports analyst, former football player, and fan of any team not named the Patriots thought it was a bad call. Even Brady himself was surprised the call was reversed.

:down:river:down:river

Could be worse. I could be a Colts fan. A fan of a team who abandoned a city in the middle of the night. Pack up the Mayflower trucks baby Indy or bust!

Then be saddled with that whiner Bill Polian. Oh lets start emphasizing rules that help MY team! Lets complain to everyone that will listen.
That guy is one giant d$ck mitten.

So dont peddle that Colts holier than thou thing in this house. The Colts sold out their fans for a couple of bucks. Even John Elway couldnt stand the thought of being a Colt.

Lucky for me, I'm not old enough to remember any of that. To me, they're the Indianapolis Colts and always will be.... maybe it doesn't make it right, but it's not something I've ever had to worry about.

What I'm talking about is the Colts organization I have followed for the last 15+ years, and especially in the Dungy era. Jim Irsay is not his father. Yes, Polian is a bit of a whiner and yes, he asked the league to enforce a RULE. But, as you say, a rule is a rule... your team just got lucky and they called it right on the field the first time so your team didn't have to appeal to the league.

When you quit whining about "face guarding" (isn't that complaining about a non-call?) and the NFL's non-existent desire to "give" the Colts a championship, or talk about something that happened in the last decade, I'll start caring. Maybe.

In the meantime, let's all bow down to the biggest bunch of crybabies (maybe outside of Baltimore) and sourpusses yet assembled in the history of post salary-cap football: the 2007-2008 New England Patriots. :clap:bow:clap:bow:clap

In the meantime, let's all bow down to the biggest bunch of crybabies (maybe outside of Baltimore) and sourpusses yet assembled in the history of post salary-cap football: the 2007-2008 New England Patriots. :clap:bow:clap:bow:clap

Cry babies? Suirely you jest!

I think you mean bow down to the Pats who throughout all of the negativity and jealousy directed towards them, continue their march to immortality.

Next up 14-0. They are going to wipe out Manjudas.

After that, Mercury "crackhead" Morris is next on the list. That guy is awesome. Running around talk show to talk show, blabbering away. I think the Pats coaches would like to shake his hand at tossing kerosene on a game that many might consider a trap game.

Last edited:
Next up 14-0. They are going to wipe out Manjudas.

After that, Mercury "crackhead" Morris is next on the list. That guy is awesome. Running around talk show to talk show, blabbering away. I think the Pats coaches would like to shake his hand at tossing kerosene on a game that many might consider a trap game.

In the interest of lightening up the discussion a bit... I actually agree with both of these points.

If the Pats don't score 70 this weekend I'll be surprised.

As for Morris and his mates, I am tired of hearing from them every year (never more so than when the Colts were the ones chasing them down), but you can't blame him for all the shows he's on now. I think he just senses that he needs to milk it while he still can. No chance the Pats get beat in the regular season this year. The only hope for civilization as we know it (and the '72 Fins) are the Colts in the AFC title game.

NFL Installs Special Rules For The Patriots

New Patriots Rules in Effect
In order to address the complaints and hurt feelings of the rest of the NFL, the commissioner has adopted 10 new "Special Rules" for all New England Patriots games. They take effect immediately, and are as follows:

Special Rules for the Patriots
1) In the course of an NFL game, if the Patriots go up by more than 31 points, they are not allowed to play offense until the opposing team draws to within one score . (Pats will kick-off after an opposing team's touchdown or FG). Once the team is within one score, the Pats offense may play, but Tom Brady may not, unless:
The Pats play with 8 players (including Tom), or the Pats play with 9 players, but 1 player for the Patriots is chosen by the opposing team from the stands. No Patriots linebacker is allowed to play offense, unless that LB is inserted at quarterback. However, Mike Vrabel cannot be quarterback.

2) If an opposing player states "It's like we’re playing 7-on-5s" (7 offense, 5 defense during practice), such as indicated by Justin Smith, DE, Cincinnati Bengels 10/1/07, the Patriots must take a time out and serve ice cold lemonade or hot tea (weather dependent) to the opposing team. Scones are optional.

3)Once the 31 pt rule is in effect, Patriots may challenge any play, but the opposing team gets veto power over the referee.

4)Once the Pats offense is allowed back onto the field (7 pts), for any forward pass the Pats QB must point to the receiver and call out his number BEFORE passing. IfTom Brady is quarterbacking at the time, he must do that, plus turn the opposing team's water cooler into wine BEFORE passing.

5)Belichick must diagram any Patriots play to the opposing defense and ensure they understand exactly how to disrupt the play. This all must be done within the play clock. If this process is not complete prior to the play clock expiring, the Patriots will be assessed a delay of game and double unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

6)Randy Moss must play with 10lb ankle weights on each ankle. An additional pound will be added for each TD this season.

7)Wes Welker is not allowed to have "that crazy look" in his eyes. 10 yd, "crazyeyes" penalty assessed.

8) Tom Brady must immediately stop dating supermodels as he will not be allowed to date anyone that is more attractive then the least attractive significant other of an opposing team member (including coaches).

9) Bill Belichick is not allowed to be within 100 yds of any infant, for fear that his evil super-genius powers would assimilate such a defenseless creature into the Patriots System. We have already seen this effect on an inordinate amount of chipmunks, squirrels, and ' possum that commit suicide while crossing Rte 1 to reach Gillette Stadium.

10) Patriots must respect all opposing players feelings and apologize for every first down. Touchdowns must be followed by a written apology and a fruit basket presented with a hug.

In the interest of lightening up the discussion a bit... I actually agree with both of these points.

If the Pats don't score 70 this weekend I'll be surprised.

As for Morris and his mates, I am tired of hearing from them every year (never more so than when the Colts were the ones chasing them down), but you can't blame him for all the shows he's on now. I think he just senses that he needs to milk it while he still can. No chance the Pats get beat in the regular season this year. The only hope for civilization as we know it (and the '72 Fins) are the Colts in the AFC title game.

I actually agree with YOU! I thought the Pats were lucky to beat Indy. Indy's defense looked like it handled the Pats quite well. They had the speed on defense to cover the Pats.

The offense of the Colts moved the ball well and that was without Harrison. If he is back then offensively I think the Colts can comopete.

However, losing the pass rush of Freeney, is HUGE. Sooo the only team that an beat the Pats is............the Cleveland Browns!

In order to address the complaints and hurt feelings of the rest of the NFL, the commissioner has adopted 10 new "Special Rules" for all New England Patriots games. They take effect immediately, and are as follows:

1) In the course of an NFL game, if the Patriots go up by more than 31 points, they are not allowed to play offense until the opposing team draws to within one score . (Pats will kick-off after an opposing team's touchdown or FG). Once the team is within one score, the Pats offense may play, but Tom Brady may not, unless:
The Pats play with 8 players (including Tom), or the Pats play with 9 players, but 1 player for the Patriots is chosen by the opposing team from the stands. No Patriots linebacker is allowed to play offense, unless that LB is inserted at quarterback. However, Mike Vrabel cannot be quarterback.

2) If an opposing player states "It's like we’re playing 7-on-5s" (7 offense, 5 defense during practice), such as indicated by Justin Smith, DE, Cincinnati Bengels 10/1/07, the Patriots must take a time out and serve ice cold lemonade or hot tea (weather dependent) to the opposing team. Scones are optional.

3)Once the 31 pt rule is in effect, Patriots may challenge any play, but the opposing team gets veto power over the referee.

4)Once the Pats offense is allowed back onto the field (7 pts), for any forward pass the Pats QB must point to the receiver and call out his number BEFORE passing. IfTom Brady is quarterbacking at the time, he must do that, plus turn the opposing team's water cooler into wine BEFORE passing.

5)Belichick must diagram any Patriots play to the opposing defense and ensure they understand exactly how to disrupt the play. This all must be done within the play clock. If this process is not complete prior to the play clock expiring, the Patriots will be assessed a delay of game and double unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.

6)Randy Moss must play with 10lb ankle weights on each ankle. An additional pound will be added for each TD this season.

7)Wes Welker is not allowed to have "that crazy look" in his eyes. 10 yd, "crazyeyes" penalty assessed.

8) Tom Brady must immediately stop dating supermodels as he will not be allowed to date anyone that is more attractive then the least attractive significant other of an opposing team member (including coaches).

9) Bill Belichick is not allowed to be within 100 yds of any infant, for fear that his evil super-genius powers would assimilate such a defenseless creature into the Patriots System. We have already seen this effect on an inordinate amount of chipmunks, squirrels, and ' possum that commit suicide while crossing Rte 1 to reach Gillette Stadium.

10) Patriots must respect all opposing players feelings and apologize for every first down. Touchdowns must be followed by a written apology and a fruit basket presented with a hug.

WTF is this and why is it in here?? Talk about going out into left field during a thread.....

WTF is this and why is it in here?? Talk about going out into left field during a thread.....

You must not be versed in sarcasm.
The thread is complaining about the Patriots. My post is a light hearted joke about the Patriots. Relax.

And I am a fan of no team in particular. I watch whoever is on. I live in Columbus Ohio so it's not like I can get behind the Browns or Bangels. I watch whoever is on TV when I go looking. But I could give a sh*t less who wins. I just enjoy watching football. I found that joke on another page and thought it fit.

It's all in fun. Relax.

Boy, I've only seen this about 23 times now... and it's still stupid.

Boy, I've only seen this about 23 times now... and it's still stupid.

Wow we agree twice in the same thread. I had an older relative send it to me who thought it was funny a couple weeks ago.

I had to politely laugh.

By the way back to the Pats and this season. To quote Rick Pitino. I think this whole thing sucks.

I hate the fact that Rodney Harrison was caught and suspended with the HGH crap, I hate the fact that the Pats were caught cheating or at the very least trying to cheat.

In my mind while the Pats are smashing records and could have one of the greatest seasons in NFL history there is a taint to it.

While I may believe that the signal thing doesnt affect this year because they were caught early on, most other people do.

As for the signal stealing thing Ive always wondered how extensive a library the Pats now have. Does it matter that they were caught because they have a library on these coaches? How often do coaches change their hand signals? Do coaches use the same ones game to game or year to year?

I ASSUME that coaches have changed their signals when playing the Pats but then again there are some really dumb organizations out there.

What bothers me about the whole thing is these things are self inflicted stupidity. I dont care whether everyone was stealing signals or not. I dont care if everyone is using HGH.

The point is it is against the rules so you dont do it.

I still belive the Pats might be the greatest post salary cap team in football history. Im just disappointed that they put themselves in a position to have the season and their past questioned.

But if you favorite team was the winning team this year and you plugged your teams players in, it would be funny sh*t, right? Whatever dude.

:rolleyes:

Sorry, man - I don't really find it funny... but I did over-react a bit in calling it stupid. Well, no, I don't think I did. It is stupid. But that doesn't mean I think you're stupid. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts