How the Patriots (and their fans) can get back some level of respect

Wow we agree twice in the same thread. I had an older relative send it to me who thought it was funny a couple weeks ago.

I had to politely laugh.

By the way back to the Pats and this season. To quote Rick Pitino. I think this whole thing sucks.

I hate the fact that Rodney Harrison was caught and suspended with the HGH crap, I hate the fact that the Pats were caught cheating or at the very least trying to cheat.

In my mind while the Pats are smashing records and could have one of the greatest seasons in NFL history there is a taint to it.

While I may believe that the signal thing doesnt affect this year because they were caught early on, most other people do.

As for the signal stealing thing Ive always wondered how extensive a library the Pats now have. Does it matter that they were caught because they have a library on these coaches? How often do coaches change their hand signals? Do coaches use the same ones game to game or year to year?

I ASSUME that coaches have changed their signals when playing the Pats but then again there are some really dumb organizations out there.

What bothers me about the whole thing is these things are self inflicted stupidity. I dont care whether everyone was stealing signals or not. I dont care if everyone is using HGH.

The point is it is against the rules so you dont do it.

I still belive the Pats might be the greatest post salary cap team in football history. Im just disappointed that they put themselves in a position to have the season and their past questioned.

OK, will you please stop saying things that make sense? Makes it really hard for me to support my "all Pats fans are clueless homers" mentality. :)

Actually, I know every team (including mine) has good and bad fans, but I agree with this post - I've never liked the Patriots, but I've had a lot of respect for them in the past - especially for Brady (kind of like I hate the Yankees but respect Derek Jeter). I just can't separate all the things they've done and said the last couple years from their accomplishments on the field. As you said, that's a real shame, for them and the game.

I think Pats fans have to view their (our) Patriots as you would view players in other cities.

I cant look at Shaun Merriman and berate him for taking 'roids and then put on the red, white, and blue glasses for Harrison and condone it.

Being a Pats fan over the last six-seven years was phenomenal.

We were the have nots for the longest time. A laughing stock who were on the brink of having the team move to St Louis.

Then we went to the Super Bowl and dealt with the Parcells fiasco, and the moving to Hartford fiasco.

Then we had Belicheck and it seemed that finally we were what sports was supposed to be.

In '01 when those Patriots ran onto the field as a team you had to have goosebumps. I read stories where Christian Fauria was at home watching the game and called his dad and said something like I know the Pats are going to win this game I want to play for them next year.

It was special. The underdogs against the juggernaut Rams. Last second heroics in a very Patriotic time, made you feel special.

The following years things were done the "Patriot way", they didnt cave into the demands of players. It was all about "team" The Patriots were doing things the "right" way.

Being a Patriot fan was good. You could look down on everyone else and say "why dont you do what the Patriots do?"

After all it wasnt a special formula was it? Just get a bunch of guys who work towards being a good team and that will overcome gaps in talent. That was the Patriots motto.

Well here we are now. The Patriots arent the underdogs anymore, they are the bullies on the block. The Patriots arent squeeky clean we have HGH users on our roster. The Patriots were even nabbed cheating.

Im sure there was a lot of jealousy out there and now people get to point and say "see youre not as good as you thought you were." Many Pats fans justify this. They can say Rodney was only using HGH to come back from injury..for the good of the team. They will say everyone is doing it. Listen to WEEI which is streamed online. There are countless Pats apologists out there.

The topic was why does America hate the Pats and their fans now and the reasons above are why.

It's lonely on top! Welcome to one of America's favorite pastimes: building up hero's and tearing them back down. America will kick you whether your up or down. It's what we do. Ignore the jealousy and enjoy the success. Being a Lions fan, I'm hoping I live long enough to enjoy the same. Probably wont.

The topic was why does America hate the Pats and their fans now and the reasons above are why.

I deleted the rest of your post only to save space, but it was, again, very well said. And, as you said, that was the original point of this thread - to try and make people understand what I have seen that has turned me off to the Patriots as an organization in recent times... I never liked the Patriots, but I did appreciate how they did business when they were winning those first couple of SB's.

Sorry, man - I don't really find it funny... but I did over-react a bit in calling it stupid. Well, no, I don't think I did. It is stupid. But that doesn't mean I think you're stupid. :)

Never took it as you were calling me stupid. To be honest I could not care less if you did call me stupid. You don't know me, I don't know you. I do not value your opinion on jokes because I don't know you. I thought it was funny and I am sure several other did as well.

I obviously didn't create it. I found it and thought some would get a kick out if and thought it fit with this conversation since so many were knocking the Pats. I bet the die hard Pats fans at least smirked when reading it. :D

Just remember, It's only a game! :rolleyes:

Sorry to have hijacked your thread.

Back to the original topic...

Just remember, It's only a game! :rolleyes:

Sorry to have hijacked your thread.

Yes, it is only a game. Hard for some of us (myself included) to remember that sometimes.

I don't think it would be a true SatGuys thread if it wasn't hijacked at least once.... :)

And I am a fan of no team in particular. I watch whoever is on. I live in Columbus Ohio so it's not like I can get behind the Browns or Bangels. I watch whoever is on TV when I go looking. But I could give a sh*t less who wins. I just enjoy watching football. I found that joke on another page and thought it fit.

It's all in fun. Relax.

I realized it was a joke...I just meant that I thought it was kinda, well, not funny and thats why I said that. I guess I should have clarified more. Looking back, I can see why you thought I didnt see the sarcasm. Too bad you cant type the tone you would say something in. Unfortunately, when typing, the message is often lost in translation so to speak.

Either way, I couldnt agree more with the OP and Boston area dtv. You both make very good points and I couldnt agree more. Its nice to see someone actually agree during the posting of a thread. This may be a first......quick delete the whole thing before anyone else sees...................:D:D