How to change local channel market

This is probably a dumb question, but I will ask it any way. If I wanted to "move" to Pittsburg or some other market in the eastern time zone, but I am in the central time zone is there any way that I can keep my receivers on central time?

Reactions: pattykay
This is probably a dumb question, but I will ask it any way. If I wanted to "move" to Pittsburg or some other market in the eastern time zone, but I am in the central time zone is there any way that I can keep my receivers on central time?

No the clock is set by the signal and if the signal is Eastern time zone, that's what you get.

they would not have to sell stuff out of there van if the retailers were not ripping them off....

Please explain what Retailers have to Do with Dish Network Techs??? If you had bothered to read what I said, you would have seen that I was not putting techs down.. I was talking about most being honest..

Does telling them you moved when you actually didn't just to change your locals really work? Has anyone with Dish Network actually succeed doing this? I moved 6 years ago from the New York market to the Philadelphia market (while remaining in New Jersey) and I despise the Philadelphia locals almost as much as despise Philadelphia! (Ima New Yawker at heart), but i digress...I would love to get back the New York channels, I miss them terribly!!!

Does telling them you moved when you actually didn't just to change your locals really work? Has anyone with Dish Network actually succeed doing this? I moved 6 years ago from the New York market to the Philadelphia market (while remaining in New Jersey) and I despise the Philadelphia locals almost as much as despise Philadelphia! (Ima New Yawker at heart), but i digress...I would love to get back the New York channels, I miss them terribly!!!

There are a ton of people who have done this. It looks like the New York locals are on 61.5, transponder 15, spot-beam 3. They should reach you just fine.

SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - DISH Network 61.5°W

I have never understood with DTV you can give them 1234 (your) last name. and the zip and BINGO you are good to go. For some reason with DISH it has to be am almost legit address...

Actually Bruno, even with D*, you still need a "legit" physical address when you give them the physical addy to put on the account - at least if you don't want any questions asked later. All it has to be is a legit physical address according to the USPS, & with the internet, it's VERY easy to find & use one of those. ;) ;)

Now when someone is doing a check for a local channel lookup on D*'s website, then you only need the zip, & in some cases it DOES actually ask for the county, as some zips DO cross county lines, & DMA boundaries usually do NOT. But the D* account then actually requires a correct, full address as I described above.

Now when someone is doing a check for a local channel lookup on D*'s website, then you only need the zip, & in some cases it DOES actually ask for the county, as some zips DO cross county lines, & DMA boundaries usually do NOT. But the D* account then actually requires a correct, full address as I described above.

My zip, 22735, is the perfect example. I live in the Culpeper county part of the zip code that is in the Washington DC DMA on the Eastern arc. A short drive down the road to Madison county in the same zip code is the Charlottesville, VA DMA, which is on the Western Arc.

Actually Moving

So I actually am moving, and had the dish mover set up only to cancel it when my locals (Currently Pittsburgh) switched over to Rochester (Where I'm moving).

I'd like to reschedule the move and if there is a way to set it up so I can actually get the Rochester locals before the actual move that would be great. Can someone point in the right direction?

Does telling them you moved when you actually didn't just to change your locals really work? Has anyone with Dish Network actually succeed doing this?

Yes.

I'm probably in the same boat as the OP. I live in PA, but we are in the Youngstown, OH DMA. However, Youngstown gives precedence to the Cleveland Browns when there is a conflict between the Browns and the Steelers schedules, and that's just not OK if you're a Steelers fan. So via chat, I told a CSR that I was going to be out of town for an extended period of time on business and gave them an address in the Pittsburgh DMA. The whole process took about 2 minutes, no questions asked, and now I know that I can watch the Steelers on KDKA every week regardless of what the Browns are doing.

Time Warner Cable in town here offers stations from all 3 of the DMA's (Youngstown, Cleveland and Pittsburgh) so that people can choose whether they want to watch the Browns or Steelers games. Why are they allowed to offer neighboring DMA's while satellite providers are not?

Similar situation with Comcast in NW Indiana, they give you the Chicago locals plus CBS / NBC South Bend so you don't miss the Colts when there is conflict.
While E* only provides most of the Chicago locals, no sub-channels and only the big 5 in HD.

For some reason local affiliates are not able to restrict cable as much as they restrict satellite. But if they could, they would.

The fact is, affiliates want you to only watch their ads.

Yes... Unless you have the Sports Pack. Then you get them all.

To take this one step further, do you the games that would be blacked out of other regions? If I "moved" from Western NY to Pittsburgh, would I actually see the Penguins games on Fox Pittsburgh that I can't watch now?

I've been considering "moving" for a long time now....

wherever you "move" to you get those RSN (s) as your local

Example...my local RSN is FSN North so I get the Twins, Wild & Wolfies....I "moved" to Northeastern MN (different DMA) and I keep those teams and gained the Brewers (not the Bucks)

If you moved to the Pittsburgh DMA you would get the Pens games on FSN Pittsburgh but lose whatever teams you would get on your normal RSN

To take this one step further, do you the games that would be blacked out of other regions? If I "moved" from Western NY to Pittsburgh, would I actually see the Penguins games on Fox Pittsburgh that I can't watch now?

I've been considering "moving" for a long time now....

Yes, you could watch the Penguins (watching the game right now). If you have multisport, you get the Cavs on FoxOH.

I would check with Sobongo (formerly All American Direct) who take care of all distant networks for Dish. You may have to obtain an RV title to do it but they are more liberal than Dish. You could purchase a junk old travel trailer to get the title. With that you can get distant networks and keep your locals. If they are the ones you want your are in business.
M

it was more than just that. Dish was giving folks DNS channels when locals were available in the market. Heck I'll admit I was one of them. The address for the cabin (legally....as in no waivers) qualified for all nets BUT CBS as there is a full powered CBS within 50 miles or so. So back when Dish could offer DNS I legit (well according to Dish it was legit) sub to 3 nets + keep the locals (Minneapolis). The FCC thought otherwise as once locals are available you couldnt get DNS but Dish still offered them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts