How to copy Wally recordings to a new Hard Drive

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Is there any way to copy from one hard drive to a larger drive. I only want one drive.
I have done this using two already-Dish-formatted 1.5TB disks for my VIP receivers... I have no idea if you can do this for the Wally that has a lot more folderol on it to store the guide, the buffer, and possibly other stuff I don't even know about.

How big a disk do you want to add?

Not so much about size vs procedure. On Hoppers, or any other system with a built in hard drive, you can move from external to Hopper to new drive. I've done this a couple times and currently moved from a 2 TB to 4 TB on the Hopper. My Wally has a 1 TB and I want to upgrade to the 2 TB. But where does one temporarily store as you move from one to another ??? I have a feeling it can't be done.

My Wally has a 1 TB and I want to upgrade to the 2 TB. But where does one temporarily store as you move from one to another???
You don't. You use a computer running LInux to move programs from one hard drive to another.
I have a feeling it can't be done.
Don't give up! I have never done this for a Wally or 211, so I don't know for certain. But I recommend trying the following.
  1. Attach your new 2TB drive to your Wally and let it format it.
  2. Detach again and plug it into your PC runing Linux, letting Linux mount whatever partitions it finds. Familiarize yourself with the partitions.
  3. Plug your old 1TB disk into that same PC running Linux and look around. You are looking for the programming folders. Once located, copy them (as root!) to the new 1TB disk.
  4. Let us all know how it goes. :D

Not so much about size vs procedure. On Hoppers, or any other system with a built in hard drive, you can move from external to Hopper to new drive. I've done this a couple times and currently moved from a 2 TB to 4 TB on the Hopper. My Wally has a 1 TB and I want to upgrade to the 2 TB. But where does one temporarily store as you move from one to another ??? I have a feeling it can't be done.
Do you have any hard statistics on how long it takes you to transfer content of a given size between internal and external drives? I've done that dance quite a few times, but I avoid it as much as possible because it is so interminably slow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts