How to get Canadian TV South of the Border

Uplink

Satellite Guy
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 3, 2004
How to get Canadian TV South of the Border:

1. Send a private message to me. I will tell you which brokers and equipment dealers are the best. Do not buy any equipment on ebay unless it is brand new. Canadian companies require that the equipment be released before sale and does not have a past due balance. When buying ExpressVU equipment make sure it really is ExpressVU (and not dish), sometimes sellers lie in the auction. Make sure that it has the new kind of ExpressVU card so you wont have to deal with buying a new one yourself or having the broker send it to you.

2. Find out what package you want.

Keep in mind on all programming Canada's 7% G.S.T. (goods and services tax) and 7 or 8% P.S.T. (provincial sales tax) apply, depending upon the jurisdiction that you have registered an address. That's up to a 15% added bill for Canadian taxes.

Take a look at: http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/StarChoice/ENGPKG/list.html
for starchoice packages

Take a look at: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=49044 for ExpressVU packages

3. Calling Starchoice/ExpressVU from the USA (only applies if you don't have a broker.

If you have a Canadian who will lend you their address you can call starchoice only via 3-way (with a canadian making the call). The number works in the USA but dont call it from here. 1 866 STAR-WEB (7827-932). When calling them *67 1- and then the number.

As for Vonage VOIP look at the next post

For ExpressVU you can dial directly at *67 wait for dial tone then 1-416-383-6688. This will block your number so they won't see you are in the USA. If questioned about your location just say whatever city on the address you are using. Or the zero is broken on your keypad and you have it set to block your number anyway. Another excuse is to say you are at your job (in canada) and cant dial out to toll free and have no idea why the number is blocked.

If you haven't told them your account info you could pretend not to hear them say hello a few times and hangup.

4. Pointing the dish
If you have a Starchoice system see: http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/SC/point/USAangskew.html

If you have an ExpressVU system see: http://www.kusat.com/install/calculator2.php

You must have a valid Visa, Mastercard, American Express card. If you dont want a credit card check with your bank about an atm card with a credit card logo. Some credit cards will charge $1.00-$2.00 for conversion to american dollars. Check with your credit card company.

as for legalities Mike Kohl of Global Communications explains it: http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/legal.html

ExpressVu uses 2 satellites at their main location. One (Nimiq1) covers the whole US. However, the newer satellite (Nimiq 3) does not cover the west, most of Florida, and the deep south. So if you are in California, Oregon, Arizona, New Mexico, South Texas, etc you will be missing a fair amount of channels)

Here is a map from Canam Satellite's Website, showing ExpressVU coverage in the USA, Starchoice covers the whole usa so forget about that part.

expressvucoverage4sa.jpg

Click on the following image thumbnail for a more detailed and more accurate nimiq 3 coverage map:

Uplink said:
Vonage VOIP offers virtual numbers, you may want a canadian one if you want to buy PPV and call your company. Just make sure that virtual number is on your ExpressVU/Starchoice Account.
This will only work for them calling you.
A vonage canadian virtual number, when dialing out, will flash your primary number on their caller ID display. ALWAYS use *67 when calling on a Vonage line. (exception is if your service is vonage.ca, when your primary number is Canadian). And do NOT connect the reciever to the phone line (if they ever inquire why they're not hooked up, tell them that you're Cell Only).
But Vonage (with a Candian number) is great if you want more than one reciever, that way they can call for location ID if nessesary.

Also, if you want to avoid the 8% PST (7% in some provinces), try and get an Alberta address, no PST in Alberta.

A WARNING TO ALL:
DO NOT GO WITH FREEWAY SUPPORT SERVICES!

THEY CHARGE MORE THAN DOUBLE THEIR COMPETITION AND ARE KNOWN FOR TEMPORARY DISCONNECTS, HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERIVICE, ADDED FEES, REFUSING TO RELEASE EQUIPMENT SO YOU CAN'T KEEP THE SAME EQUIPMENT IF YOU DECIDE TO LEAVE FREEWAY OR IF YOU WANT TO SELL YOUR EQUIPMENT AND SWITCH PROVIDERS.

AND FORGET TRYING TO REACH THEM VIA TELEPHONE IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM...

MOST BROKERS WILL HOOK UP YOUR CREDIT CARD FOR AUTOPAY WITH BEV/*S NOT FREEWAY. YOU PAY THEM AND THEN THEY PAY THE BILL, TONS OF LATE PAYMENTS. BEV IS TARGETING FREEWAY ACCOUNTS AND SHUTTING THEM OFF.

OTHER BROKERS DONT HAVE PROBLEMS WITH EXPRESSVU SHUTTING THEIR CUSTOMERS OFF.

A Letter sent by Freeway Support Services to their Bell ExpressVu
Customers

FREEWAY SUPPORT SERVICES 1-888-223-4702
1774 St. James Street Email
freewaysupport@[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manitoba R3H OL3 Website
www.freewaysupport.com

SICK OF SERVICE INTERRUPTIONS?
Switch to STAR CHOICE!!!

Many of our customers have become increasingly frustrated by ExpressVu's
phone check policy,
which has resulted in the temporary loss of service. We have lodged
complaints with the provider,
but due to Bell's strict policies unfortunately there is no way around the
phone checks.
If anything we anticipate the problem to worsen.

In order to eliminate this ongoing inconvenience to our valued customers,
we
have negotiated a
seamless switch-out of accounts from Express Vu service to Star Choice
service. If you are
interested and would like more information please read on for further
instructions.

NOTIFY US OF YOUR INTENTION TO SWITCH SERVICES.
THERE WILL BE TWO OPTIONS YOU CAN CHOOSE FROM ON THE SWITCH OVER.

OPTION 1
** Send your existing Express Vu receiver to Freeway Support PREPAID.
** Upon receiving your receiver we will immediately send you a Star Choice
Model 305,
FREIGHT COLLECT (approximate equivalent to Bell Model 2700 or
3100).
** Your new receiver will be pre-authorized with programming of your
choice.
(similar to your Express Vu package)
** Once you have installed your system the programming could take up to 24
hours to
download completely.
** There will be a one-time transaction fee of $50.00 in Canadian Funds.

OPTION 2
** We will send you a new Star Choice Model 305, FREIGHT COLLECT.
** Keep your Bell receiver until you have received and installed your Star
Choice system.
** Return the Bell system PRE-PAID to our office.
** Before shipping yo the Star Choice system we will charge your credit
card
$200.00 Canadian.
Upon receiving your Bell system we will refund your credit card
$150.00 Canadian.
** Please call us when you have shipped the Bell receiver with the
tracking
number.
** If we do not receive the old system within a 7-day span from the
shipping
date,
no credit will be issued.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS WILL COME WITH YOUR NEW RECEIVER, FOR THOSE WHO
WISH TO DO
A SELF-INSTALL. IF SELF-INSTALL IS NOT FOR YOU, CALL YOUR LOCAL SATELLITE
DISH INSTALLATION
COMPANY, PREFERABLY ONE WITH A HISTORY IN THE C-BAND BUSINESS, AS THE
TECHNOLOGY IS
CLOSELY RELATED. GLOBAL COMMUNICATIONS (link on our website or call
1-608-546-2523) WILL PROVIDE
TECHNICAL SUPPORT AND INSTALLATION REFERRALS FOR A SMALL FEE.
CERTAIN GEOGRAPHICAL AREAS MAY REQUIRE DISH UPGRADES.

WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE THIS SWITCHOVER MAY CAUSE YOU, BUT WE
SEE
IT AS THE
ONLY WAY TO ENSURE TROUBLE FREE FUTURE SERVICE. YOU ARE IN NO WAY
OBLIGATED
TO SWITCH
OVER YOUR SERVICE. WE WILL KEEP YOUR EXPRESS VU SERVICE GOING FOR AS LONG
AS WE ARE ABLE,
PERHAPS INDEFINITELY, BUT WE ARE NOT ABLE TO PREVENT THESE SERVICE
INTERRUPTIONS.
OUR STAFF IS AS FRUSTRATED AS OUR CUSTOMERS, BUT WE CONTINUE TO DO OUR
BEST.

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO UPGRADE YOUR SYSTEM PLEASE CONTACT OUR OFFICE FOR
FURTHER INFORMATION
AND PRICING.

PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOW ABLE TO OFFER PHONE-IN PAY-PER-VIEW SERVICES WITH
STAR CHOICE.

Uplink said:
3. Calling Starchoice/ExpressVU from the USA (only applies if you don't have a broker.

If you have a Canadian who will lend you their address you can call starchoice only via 3-way (with a canadian making the call). The number works in the USA but dont call it from here. 1 866 STAR-WEB (7827-932). When calling them *67 1- and then the number.

I just wanted to point out something you may not be aware of (actually you probably are, since you gave the advice to do a 3-way call via a Canadian, but some who read this may not be). When you use *67, it will NOT block your number on calls to a toll-free number (1-800, 1-888, 1-877, 1-866, etc.) The reason is that toll-free numbers can receive ANI in real time. For most residential lines, ANI and Caller-ID are the same number (technically, ANI is the BILLING number, which for example might be the first line of a multi-line hunt group). So even if *67 blocks the Caller-ID, the company will still receive the ANI. And it's worse than that - depending on what kind of connection they have to their serving long distance carrier (that provides their toll-free service), they may in fact receive the Caller ID information, but with a "privacy" flag set. In effect, the serving long distance carrier is saying, "Here's the caller's phone number, but you're not allowed to look at it." :rolleyes:

HOWEVER, if you have a friend that has a "PRI" connection to their carrier (in effect, they are acting as a mini-phone-company), it is POSSIBLE for them to set the Caller ID and ANI to any number they want to on outgoing calls. Some bill collectors are starting to use this to their advantage - for example, when you apply for credit you usually give the names and phone numbers of some references, usually friends or relatives. The bill collector has this information and therefore can program his phone system to show the name and number of your friend rather than "ACME COLLECTIONS", which he knows you might not answer. It's deceptive but so far there have been no laws passed against this (at least not to my knowledge).

Now, I've never personally had a subscription service (my entire experience with satellite has been big dish and free-to-air) so I don't know if the user can reprogram the number that the receiver dials out (rather than the 1-800 number of the satellite company). If that were possible (to change the number), you could send the call to a regular number in the U.S. that would call forward to the 800 number, but present a Canadian area code and number on the Caller ID and ANI. That would not be that difficult, I know a guy that has the capability to do that. The only problem is that it would likely not be a VALID ANI or Caller ID number. As he said to me, it would be easy enough to take the incoming phone number and change the area code to a Canadian one before forwarding it, but if they ever tried to call back on that number it certainly wouldn't be valid, and might well be someone else's number.

Also, of course, since the new number the receiver would be dialing would not be toll-free, you'd probably want to limit the number of outgoing calls it makes - plug it in maybe once a week or once a month and force a call, perhaps.

If you know anyone that runs the "Asterisk" PBX software ad has the right kind of connections they might be able to set something up. Again, at present I'm not aware of any specific laws against munging an outgoing number in this way, although it would not surprise me if this "breaks" at some point in the future if people abuse it (although the way the phone system is set up, it would be a very difficult thing to prevent this from taking place, probably for reasons similar to why it's impossible to fully block spam from your e-mail).

One other thing, even if it were impossible to change the number the receiver dials, there are ways around that also (for one thing, do a Google search on a "Mitel Smart-1 dialer"). It all depends on who you know and how badly you want to do it, I guess.

Derwin0 said:
A vonage canadian virtual number, when dialing out, will flash your primary number on their caller ID display. ALWAYS use *67 when calling on a Vonage line. (exception is if your service is vonage.ca, when your primary number is Canadian). And do NOT connect the reciever to the phone line (if they ever inquire why they're not hooked up, tell them that you're Cell Only).
But Vonage (with a Candian number) is great if you want more than one reciever, that way they can call for location ID if nessesary.

Also, if you want to avoid the 8% PST (7% in some provinces), try and get an Alberta address, no PST in Alberta.

I just wonder if you or anyone has tried a company called WhistlerTel - it appears they offer numbers in Alberta, and also in British Columbia and Ontario. And it appears that their lowest-priced plan is $5.95/month (I'm assuming that's in U.S. dollars) and includes unlimited incoming calls and 100 minutes of outgoing calls (other plans are available at higher rates). I do not know if toll-free calls are counted against the 100 minute allowance or not. IF the quality of their service is good enough, and that is a very big IF, one could make calls directly to a Canadian service provider to make account changes, or even possibly hook up their receiver and order pay-per-view (or use multiple receivers) since it would show the call as coming from a Canadian number. But of course this assumes that the receiver will communicate over a VoIP service, and I've heard mixed reports on that even with big, well-known VoIP companies like VoicePulse and Vonage.

WhistlerTel says you can sign up and pay no monthly service charges for the first 2 months, but then adds that "set up, shipping, and out-of-plan charges apply." I do not know if they will let you use your own VoIP adapter, such as a Sipura purchased from someplace like Voxilla, but since WhistlerTel has a Florida address I would HOPE that adaptors shipped to a U.S. address would be shipped from the U.S., even if you are getting a Canadian number.

There's also a Vancouver-based company, DolphinTel, that offers a similar service but at a higher rate ($10.95 per month Canadian for the 100 minute package). This might be a good choice for someone who wants a purely Canadian-based company.

But as I noted above, it seems that letting a receiver dial out over a VoIP line can be a hit-or-miss proposition. For some people it seems to work well enough, for others it doesn't work at all (see, for example, this thread at BroadbandReports.com but note that the thread is a year old). Three things you should ask any VoIP provider are, what CODEC do they use (you only want G.711 - there are a couple variations of it, namely G.711a and G.711u, but if it's not some form of G.711 it is far less likely it will work with your receiver), do they allow outgoing calls to Canadian 800 numbers, and do calls to 800 numbers count against your outgoing minutes.

Oddly enough, When I try to sign up for WhistlerTel.. I can only get a Florida phone number, specifically in 305, 561, and 954 area codes...

Uplink said:
How to get Canadian TV South of the Border:

For ExpressVU you can dial directly at *67 wait for dial tone then 1-416-383-6688. This will block your number so they won't see you are in the USA. If questioned about your location just say whatever city on the address you are using. Or the zero is broken on your keypad and you have it set to block your number anyway. Another excuse is to say you are at your job (in canada) and cant dial out to toll free and have no idea why the number is blocked.
this option worked great for me as i wanted to change my billing addy
dial the toll # all my concerns were taken care of no questions asked

Uplink said:
Keep in mind on all programming Canada's 7% G.S.T. (goods and services tax) and 7 or 8% P.S.T. (provincial sales tax) apply, depending upon the jurisdiction that you have registered an address. That's up to a 15% added bill for Canadian taxes.

If you can set yourself up with an Alberta address, there's no PST here. :)
(saves you the 7-8% anyways)

Hart5150 said:
Can you set the guide and time to a different time zone than your address?

nope. The guide is set for your address

On my SC system, I got use to the time being off by an hour (Eastern "address" but I'm in Central time zone)

Iceberg said:
nope. The guide is set for your address

On my SC system, I got use to the time being off by an hour (Eastern "address" but I'm in Central time zone)
When I had a more expensive, less responsive broker, they asked which time zone I was in at the time of activation.

It is my understanding that they have addresses all over the place because you have the option of getting Movie Central, which is only available in Western Canada, so the time would be off, if you lived in the Eastern USA.

But again, they were more expensive and hardly ever responded to email, only phone calls to Canada.

miguelaqui said:
When I had a more expensive, less responsive broker, they asked which time zone I was in at the time of activation.

It is my understanding that they have addresses all over the place because you have the option of getting Movie Central, which is only available in Western Canada, so the time would be off, if you lived in the Eastern USA.

But again, they were more expensive and hardly ever responded to email, only phone calls to Canada.
What broker?

CanAm is who I had before. They even have a nice $25 disconnect fee, if you decide not to renew. It was also hard to get them on the phone, lots of busy signals. But, I had no outages due to EV cutting the service off, as I have heard about from others using a different popular broker. They released my equipment so that I could sell it without any problems.

I would consider using them again, if they start allowing PPV,as they said they were going to do last year.

I'm with TVM now. My emails are answered within 1 day! Action is taken immediately! If you disco, they only charge $10. I would rather have my time off, which it is not an issue at my location, and have quality service.

Beware of brokers who say, "You pay us and we'll pay them. You will get what you order and possibly even more!" One of them tried that with me. What they were doing is adding receivers to existing accounts and pocketing the money. That is what, from my understanding, SC and EV really want to stop. If you use one who gives the company, SC or EV, your credit card and you will pay SC or EV directly, that is much safer!

no phone line-ok?

I have had one receiver for 5 years in US with no problem (friends address and bill to my credit card).

I want to add a second reciever. Will I have problems with not being connected to a phone line?

Also, I notice on the setup screen a "location ID". Questions:
1. Will this cause a problem when I register?
2. How do they get a location on a one-way transmission anyway?

What happens if I have two and they call and want the location ID's?

I have had one receiver for 5 years in US with no problem (friends address and bill to my credit card).

I want to add a second reciever. Will I have problems with not being connected to a phone line?

Also, I notice on the setup screen a "location ID". Questions:
1. Will this cause a problem when I register?
2. How do they get a location on a one-way transmission anyway?

What happens if I have two and they call and want the location ID's?

What system? StarChoice or ExpressVu?

StarChoice allows you to have 2 receivers not hooked to phone line with no issues (heck, the SC205 receiver doesn’t have a phone jack). Plus since they use DCII encryption, they really don’t worry about theft.

ExpressVu on the other hand, does (did) have a problem with theft. I know if you had more than one receiver, they sometimes call the number on file and have you read off the numbers to make sure you aren’t “account sharing” (add a receiver and give it to your buddy).

I would be kind of wary with EVu if you have more than one receiver. SC shouldn’t have an issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)