How to get Distants from NPS

I have a feeling a LOT more people will qualify once they get people's smart card #s. I know I should be able to get CBS and FOX, I never even needed a waiver for FOX.

Funny thing is, KHQA has place on their website that says they are on dish. If this a local for me then Dish should have offered it.

No, NONE of the Quincy/Hannibal locals are local for YOU, at least where DBS is concerned - YOUR market (Kirksville) is a completely separate DMA from the Quincy/Hannibal, which is it's OWN separate DMA. DISH DOES offer the Quincy/Hannibal locals, but never did offer KTVO-ABC. It probably could have as an SV local, but since it cannot offer ANY SV locals, it's a moot point now.

I see where you "moved" on another thread - that probably is the easiest & cleanest way to get a full set of nets right now on E*... ;) ;)

Last edited:
I have a feeling a LOT more people will qualify once they get people's smart card #s. I know I should be able to get CBS and FOX, I never even needed a waiver for FOX.

Chris, I really agree with that. I think there is a problem with the actual data base sent by Dish. If NPS is willing to get the SOO number and then contact Dish for the service address, if you are in a white area you should then get the channel(s).

I got home from work and have all the DNS except CBS. When I signed up via the website this morning, it indicated that I was avaialble for all four. CBS is however a grade B signal(however one would need a 100' tower to get it though because of the terrain). I just filed for a waiver for CBS. I have gotten one before so I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

The PQ is not as quite as sharp on some of the new DNS channels as what we were used to with the NY & LA feeds. Not too bad just not as good. At this point half a loaf is better than no loaf so I'm happy.

Now I have to decide if I'm keeping TWC which was here last week and hooked us up or cancelling my Dish account and just keeping these new DNS feeds.

I got home from work and have all the DNS except CBS. When I signed up via the website this morning, it indicated that I was avaialble for all four. CBS is however a grade B signal(however one would need a 100' tower to get it though because of the terrain). I just filed for a waiver for CBS. I have gotten one before so I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

The PQ is not as quite as sharp on some of the new DNS channels as what we were used to with the NY & LA feeds. Not too bad just not as good. At this point half a loaf is better than no loaf so I'm happy.

Now I have to decide if I'm keeping TWC which was here last week and hooked us up or cancelling my Dish account and just keeping these new DNS feeds.

Do some of the NPS distants look better than others? Do they look similar to Dish's local markets in general? The PQ is a big reason I am persuing obtaining these channels from NPS, but if the PQ is similar to the local channels from Dish, it's pointless for the most part.

Can't answer that because I never had locals(our DMA is one of the 35 Dish hasn't uploaded). I can tell you this however: 5737, Fox Atlanta is the clearest and sharpest. 5738 Fox SF actually appears a little blurry like it's out of focus. It has the worst PQ of the bunch. Both NBC's and ABC's are in between. I don't have CBS so I can't comment on that.

So if the PQ is not much better than LiLs, I can't see many customers canceling their Dish LiLs and signing up for these even if they could qualify. Other than maybe time shifting or an occasional football game, there isn't that much of an incentive.

No, the real ball-buster here is the loss of CBS-HD.

I'm reading between the lines here (as I so often do and get it totally wrong:) ) but I think when congress reconveins and takes up the Leahy bill, someone is going to add language that clears up the Bullsh!t qualification / signal testing rules for digital once and for all.

Then it will hit the fan, because any reasonable person knows that qualification for distant digital signals (HD DNS) should have nothing to do with whether you can get analog signals or not (from any source). That's like saying you're not allowed color TV if you qualify for black & white.

SHVERA and it's implementation has favored the TV stations, not consumers and congress and the FCC know this. The more scrutinized it gets, the more likely the public will learn about things the NAB would rather stayed quiet.

It is in congress's best interest to straighten this whole digital versus analog issue out now. Otherwise it could come back to bite them in the butt in '08, which BTW will be happening shortly before the analog shutoff deadline.:D

Can't answer that because I never had locals(our DMA is one of the 35 Dish hasn't uploaded). I can tell you this however: 5737, Fox Atlanta is the clearest and sharpest. 5738 Fox SF actually appears a little blurry like it's out of focus. It has the worst PQ of the bunch. Both NBC's and ABC's are in between. I don't have CBS so I can't comment on that.

Hmm, well I'll still sign up for whatever they'll let me have but from this I have to assume NPS isn't using fiber. I really shouldn't complain about my locals because they do look pretty good, just not as good as the usually stellar New York distants.

Yes, the S.F. Fox has some ghosting and the NBC has some analog grain - both look like analog cable.

The Fox Atlanta is pretty good, it's roughly as good as either the Fox NY or the Fox L.A. (neither of which was top notch). The NBC Atlanta is good, too. They just fixed the picture and sound problems on those two channels, by the way, and all the channels look a little better than this morning, so I think there are engineers who are actively working on these channels today.

Well I just called and spoke to a live rep and was told that since my phone number is not in the system I am not elgible for DNS from NPS! :(

I was told to call dish network but I really do not see the point. Since I receive my locals via LiL I am SOL for DNS. What sucks is that other people here have said they have gotten DNS from NPS and they receive LiL from Dish.

Yes, the S.F. Fox has some ghosting and the NBC has some analog grain - both look like analog cable.

The Fox Atlanta is pretty good, it's roughly as good as either the Fox NY or the Fox L.A. (neither of which was top notch). The NBC Atlanta is good, too. They just fixed the picture and sound problems on those two channels, by the way, and all the channels look a little better than this morning, so I think there are engineers who are actively working on these channels today.

I guess when referring to the "stellar" New York channels, I meant WNBC. That channel was always great looking. The rest of the NYC channels were usually very good though. My locals I am getting now are similar quality to the LA distants I had.

What sucks is that other people here have said they have gotten DNS from NPS and they receive LiL from Dish.

No, I think you are confusing the situation.

I said that you can get Distants from NPS even if Dish provides LIL in your area. That's not the same as you actually being a LIL subscriber prior to the Distants shutoff.

I think from the posts here that NPS does not sell Distants to people who already have LIL from Dish - even though that makes no sense, since the whole point of the service is that they are a separate entity from Dish.

Then it will hit the fan, because any reasonable person knows that qualification for distant digital signals (HD DNS) should have nothing to do with whether you can get analog signals or not (from any source). That's like saying you're not allowed color TV if you qualify for black & white.:D

That is a spot on analogy. Maybe this whole fiasco will turn a bright light on this issue. We all keep hearing this hue and cry from the FCC about 2009 HD and yet the NAB appears to be doing everything it can to thwart the mandate.

Last edited:
I live in a rural area and have been ok'd for cbs and nbc but not for fox and there is no fox within 100 miles from here so I don't understand that. She did not say she would ask for a waiver however. Wonder why? I might have to call again. I have an abc affiliate here so I can't get it on sat. Never could. This is such a pain!

I live in a rural area and have been ok'd for cbs and nbc but not for fox and there is no fox within 100 miles from here so I don't understand that. She did not say she would ask for a waiver however. Wonder why? I might have to call again. I have an abc affiliate here so I can't get it on sat. Never could. This is such a pain!

You can go to their website and under the FAQ, you can request a waiver by clicking on the link found there.

Thank you. I can't even get to their website. I have AOL and it says it is not available. I thought maybe it was because everyone is trying to access it.

Thank goodness I found this site. I ended up not qualifying on the website but did qualify when I called. Funny thing is, I have yet to see any of the channels in my guide. The nice lady told me that I would have them within the hour last night so I'm going to have to make another call over there. Anyone know what their hours of operation are?

Chris, I really agree with that. I think there is a problem with the actual data base sent by Dish. If NPS is willing to get the SOO number and then contact Dish for the service address, if you are in a white area you should then get the channel(s).

And that will be the unraveling of this plan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts