how to get local channel info?

framer

Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
IL
i have the vip612dvr receiver. i get local digital channels through the dish reciever, but i dont get any of the channel info, like i'd normally get when the antenna is hooked to the tv directly.

is it possible to receive the channel info on the dish receiver?

also, i can manually hit the record button to record a local channel show, but how could i create a future record date, when there is no channel info on the guide?

so, i can watch locals for free with an antenna hooked to the dish reciever, but i need to pay $5 a month for the locals guide?

Use YouR PC

Obviously you have a PC and since you dont want to pay for Locals thru Dish ,Just go online and look up TV schedule for your Local channels,Not that Hard !! Is 5 dollars a month that big of an expense ?

Before cable and before satellite TV when the only way to get TV was via antenna, many people would pay 50¢ a week for a TV Guide. :)

Guide info was never "free", and it still isn't--you have to pay for an internet connection or a Sunday paper.

See ya
Tony

i thought maybe a feature could be turned on so that i could at least receive the channel info directly from the tv stations, like when i use my actual tv to tune and watch the locals. but i get the dish receiver blocks that out.

Nope

i thought maybe a feature could be turned on so that i could at least receive the channel info directly from the tv stations, like when i use my actual tv to tune and watch the locals. but i get the dish receiver blocks that out.

It doesn't block out the info. It just doesn't accept PSIP (program system information protocol) data. Tha's how your TV gets the info most likely. Yep the feature can be turned on it's called E* ain't no fool and wants $$ for it. They have to pay for the guide data and want to get paid back for the purchase. Just like when you pay for TV guide or the local paper.

Last edited:
It doesn't block out the info. It just doesn't accept PSIP (program system information protocol) data.
Dish's receiver certainly do read the PSIP data, they just ignore 99% of it. What they do read is the station's "ID" number (it's transmitted in hex) and then use that number to "map" the guide data.

As for using PSIP data, especially with a DVR, I don't believe any OTA-capable DVRs do this either. It's simply not reliable enough.

Bottom Line:
- Either subscribe the the Satellite Local channels to get the OTA Guide data
OR
- Set manual timers for future events.

That's your only options.

As Cold Irons said - you can manually set a timer for a future recording. (Hit DVR button 3 times, go to times, manual timer and enter in the info - ever recurring timers). I record a show for my kids every morning on PBS that way.

There also is an option to get the guide info for free using the OTA antenna connected to the DTV-Pal and directly into your TV. Mine downloads all my local channel guide info once a day and I can see what's coming up (but I can't DVR it directly from there.) I guess you could use a splitter on the antenna to feed the Dish receiver and a DTV-Pal ($8 with coupon including shipping). Then you could switch back and forth on inputs but that's cumbersome.

I just got the locals through Dish and I'm beginning to see that the $5/month is worth it for the ease of viewing local events and recording them. You can always try it for a month or 2 and see if you like it.

Hall try a DISH DTV PAL DVR $299 from DISH Network it is an OTA DVR with HDTV capabilities.
According to the owner's manual, you input your zip code and if you don't, "the information in your on-screen Program Guide will be inaccurate or incomplete". Take a guess why it needs to know this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)