How to get rid of hacked FW on Coolsat 8000?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Unfortunatly the box is out of production, so it looks like going used or on ebay is the only way to get one.

They do have a new version, the 8100, but the information on it does not provide any insight as to whether it does DVB-S2. Then again, there was no information the 8000 did either.

The CS8100HD includes a USB port and PVR capabilities. The other specs are identical to the CS8000HD. My understanding is that Coolsat wanted to be the first to market a HD FTA receiver so the CS8000 was released without the USB functionality. I saw on another site there is also a newer factory bin (11192A), however, I didn't see that listed on the Coolsat web site. There may be some fixes/updates on that bin as well. They did update the motor controls and switch support in the 11176A bin which I was quite happy about. Has anyone tried the 11192A bin yet?

choices

...I wonder if it can be updated through firmware...
Okay, I'm building them and I have two choices:

1). provide free firmware update to the existing boxes in the field.

2). sell a new box, which may be identical inside, using the new firmware.

In some cases, these "manufacturers" as we think of them, just contract with a factory in Korea or China, to make the boxes.
How much actual engineering some companies put into the process varies a lot.
It may be no more than a shopping list of features.

From what I see, the reason the new family of Coolsats are incompatible with the old ones, is that they have a new factory building them.
What does that tell you about Coolsats engineering input?
Sounds like mostly a Marketing-driven company.
Not to pick on just them, the Visionsat comes from the same factory as another similar box, just with a few feature differences.
And I'm happy with both, so these companies are doing something right. ;)

Yes it is true that they are using a new factory for the latest Coolsat FTA receivers. This may be an issue with clone boxes that were finding their way into the market. I read also on Coolsat's website that they are no longer offering warranty on receivers sold after October 2007 (CS6000), again I believe due to the problems with clone boxes. All the new receivers in the CS-x100 line are from the new factory, as well as the CS7000 PVR and CS8000 HD.

Note: The latest factory software for the CS8000 is 11169A or 11170A depending on which version of the site you go to (Canada/USA).

I think it is mostly in the initial setup, like auto detect for satellites, which isn't much use for me since I use a motorized dish. It also has the beep on scan for the signal and some other minor changes, but it seems to cause problems for EPG so I reverted back to the earlier version. There was some minor issues with manual motor control (not displaying east/west) and DiSEqC selection that was fixed in later versions, again not really a big issue using USALS. Have you ever had much luck getting any FTA manufacturers/importers to update/bug fix/add features (like blindscan) for the official factory software?

Last edited:
Visionsat seems to be committed to their nice PVR box. They release bugfixes and additional capabilities on a more-or-less regular basis...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)