How to hedge against a Voom shutdown and make sure you can watch the Super Bowl in HD

Hoopnoop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2004
I just want to point out an option that I recently took with Voom that can keep your foot in the door at Voom while also pursuing other options that guarantee you will continue to have HD programming for the Super Bowl and beyond. I set up with Voom to have someone come and get my Voom receiver in a few weeks but they will keep my dish and antenna set up going. My cost for programming with Voom stops immediately. I in turn have upgraded to Cable HD which also happens to have an HD PVR (though certainly not as many HD channels as Voom).

So the bottomline is that I get a couple more weeks of Voom programming free of charge and am able to get alternative HD programming as well. If Voom somehow survives and goes to 70 HD channels with an HD PVR then I have an easy reinstall.

Hope this is helpful for those in a quandry!

Yeah, but that theory only holds water if they let you come back with minimal costs... If they stay in business, they may pull the ol' E* trick of considering you a "current customer" and not give you the new equipment for free or a minimal fee...

So you are suggesting stealing the VOOM feed and paying for cable HD, even though VOOM HASNT SHUT DOWN YET!! Nice!

JohnnyBlaze said:
So you are suggesting stealing the VOOM feed and paying for cable HD, even though VOOM HASNT SHUT DOWN YET!! Nice!

You can't "steal" an OTA HD feed :D .

rvsixer said:
You can't "steal" an OTA HD feed :D .

How about getting something without paying for it?

I am just tired of reading all the stuff people are doing, when they(VOOM) havent announed what they are going to do. VOOM isnt just going to shut it off, that isnt going to happen.

JohnnyBlaze said:
How about getting something without paying for it?

I don't see where this is happening anywhere in this thread. He's getting cable, in case his soon to be decommissioned VOOM box won't get the FREE OTA Superbowl signal anymore. What did I miss :confused: .

Hoopnoop said:
My cost for programming with Voom stops immediately. ...

So the bottomline is that I get a couple more weeks of Voom programming free of charge ....

thats what i am talking about

I don't think Voom would agree to this unless it was within a few weeks. I would have been willing to pay for the next few weeks but they said that the programming cost stops immediately.

I do think there is a fair point in the argument that I owe something to Voom. They did my set-up for free and I've really enjoyed the service. However, I think the reality of the situation is that they are very likely to end programming soon. And I don't like hanging out there with all this uncertainty. So, I switched elsewhere but with the hope (however small) that I can do an easy switch back to Voom if it is still around in March.

JohnnyBlaze said:
thats what i am talking about

Satellite portion of VOOM sub is paid a month in advance, you get charged until the box gets decommissioned by VOOM and no way to get it free afterwards.

Hoopnoop want to clarify for us?

I don't understand all the panic about VOOM going dark before Super-Bowl. Worst case, let's say that they stop broadcasting from Rainbow-1 right now. No problem. The SuperBowl will be transmitted OTA by Fox. VOOM won't be able to pick up the STB before SuperBowl. And yes, the STB OTA will work just fine guaranteed. If you doubt it, ask madpoet. At AVSForum he posted:
The channels exist with or without guide data. 45 days or so disconnected from the Dish, and the OTA still worked fine.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=5110678#post5110678

Guys, relax and enjoy the SuperBowl.

I'll have to check my dates of coverage but I just know that I had recently paid my bill and I was told that I would be accruing no further charges after the day I called to discontinue service...

My main concern was to simply discontinue service in a way that I could easily switch back to Voom in the future. I had asked about a seasonal disconnect but that was not available.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)