How to hook HD OTA to Directv's HD DVR?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
During periods of rain fade, I use the OTA feed to my television for the local channels, primarily during primetime, and to check the weather sub-channels.

To each his own!
Not only that but if you live close enough to another metropolitan area, you might be able to pick up their signals. I live in the Wash DC area and get the Baltimore stations using my OTA. Not only is a OTA good for rain fade, but if a program I want to watch on a DC local is preempted for whatever reason and I can get it via Baltimore.

I have it for rain fade but, more important I have it so if we have to go in the basement due to bad weather and satellite is out, I can see what exactly I'm in for.

I am a resident of salt lake city and I have the HD package with a DVR. I am planning on loading up the RV and heading out to Florida this winter for a couple of months, and I would like to take my DTV DVR with me. I am planning on buying a new Slimline 5 dish and putting it on a tripod. I have done this in the past when I only had SD and it worked just fine. I have a couple of questions.

1) If I buy one of these AM21 units, can I pipe the OTA channels into my receiver and use the DVR features, or is it not going to work since I am out of my local area.

2) Will I be able to pick up the HD channels in general? I know the locals are not beamed across the entire country, but I am confused if I will be ok for the HD ones.

thank you for helping an old (and confused) man

First of all, welcome to the forum.

What model DirecTV DVR/HD DVR do you have?

1) If I buy one of these AM21 units, can I pipe the OTA channels into my receiver and use the DVR features, or is it not going to work since I am out of my local area.

The AM21 unit will allow you to get OTA signal from any area you are in regardless of your local area. The channels will be integragted into your DirecTV receivers guide. Keep im mind the AM21 only works with the HR21 and HR22 HD DVR models.

2) Will I be able to pick up the HD channels in general? I know the locals are not beamed across the entire country, but I am confused if I will be ok for the HD ones.

Your Salt Lake City "home" locals on your receiver will simply be a black screen when you tune to that channel. If you have the AM21 connected to the HR21 or HR22 HD DVR you will see those channels in your recievers guide. You will see them listed as "2-1". Keep in mind, while traveling you will need to run the antenna setup every location you stop to get the OTA locals in that area.

Thanks for the quick response, NutFlush920!

I just went and looked and it is an HR22 DVR.

So it sounds like I just need to buy this AM21 box and life will be good. It will not care when I put in an Orlando zip code into the AM21 and my DTV receiver is set to Salt Lake City zip? It will actually merge the channel guide into my guide? That sounds like it will work perfectly, if I am understanding it correctly.

Beyond my locals, I will still be able to get the other HD channels ok?

Is there anything else I need to think about? I haven't bought the dish yet. I guess I can order it from some of the site sponsors on this site? I am also set up for only one cable out of my RV at the moment. I read on some other posts that I can buy a SWM8 multiswitch and then I will get full functionality on my DVR using just the one cable. I can get that from site sponsor's here as well?

Anything else that I need to think about? I have a while before I hit the road, but I would like to start ordering soon and test this out at home first.

thanks again

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)