how to hook up HD tv and receiver to the internet?

If you are only going to do one or 2 networked items, just run the cables. But keep in mind that the networking needs for your entertainment area will probably grow. I ended up with enough networked stuff that I use a small 4-port ethernet switch at the TV location; long ethernet run from the main router/WAP to the TV location's switch. Then the switch can connect multiple things as your systems grow; in my case a networked HDTV, Dish 722, networked HTS, and my Apple TV2.

Yeah. I have to say, I moved my router to the entertainment center years ago... Wii, 360, Dish 622, Desktop computer... when I need a new tv it will have internet capability, same with a blu ray... it does just keep growing.

You're right, the reviews on most of those cables are dismal, so I'm looking at this one at $11.99,

Amazon.com: Mediabridge - Blue RJ45 Computer Networking Cat5e Ethernet Patch Cable - (100 Feet): Electronics

The other cable may well be junk, but take amazon reviews (both good and bad) with a grain of salt. It's obvious at times, and I have seen it on multiple occasions that the reviews listed are not for the product in question or even the vendor in question, even for "amazon verified" reviews. Amazon seems to aggregate reviews for similar products, not sure what the criteria is, maybe the UPC or part number provided by the vendor, but it happens and happens often. Considering a review has to be obviously wrong to be noticed, I have to wonder how much more common it really is.

I make liberal use of amazon's return policy. If a product is even marginally questionable it goes back.

Cat6 is certified for gigabyte speeds, Cat5 is not. Won't make much difference in your application now, but might "future proof" you to run the 6 if the price is similar. If the 5 is good quality it may work at gigabyte anyways, just can't be certified as such.

If you're still considering a switch instead, Newegg has a Zuni 8 port for $9.99

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts