How to increase UHF Pro sensitivity on 522

buckwild

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Aug 24, 2004
the second remote doesnt work so well from the other room at times and i was wondering if anyone knew this procedure. i seem to recall seeing how to do it with an older box, but if anyone knows how to do it on the 522, i would be greatful.

Well, it seems obvious, but you DO have the UHF antenna attached to the receiver, yes?

If so, some people have reported good results by extending the antenna above the box (and whatever other junk is around it) using a short piece of coax.

yes of course i have the antenna hooked up. one problem could be the fact the the enclosure is only a few inches taller than the box, so the antenna cannot stand straight up. i could extend it with a short piece of rg6, but i would like to keep it where it is and out of site if possible. again, my original question still stands...

Well, having answered this question several times, and finding that most of the time the antenna wasn't connected, i always ask. ;)

Anyway, a big part of the problem for sure is the antenna blockage.

If you're looking for an option setting in the box, there isn't any.

And BTW, Welcome abaord!

I had this problem with the earlier UHF remotes which had a range of 1/2 that of the new UHF/Pro remotes . What worked for me was to make an antenna from a small length of RG6 with an F connector on one end . Remove about 6" of the insulation/braid/plastic core from the other end so that only the bare copper wire is exposed . Attach to remote input and situate the copper wire end as high and far away from your equipment as possible . If it still doesn't work, add a signal amplifier ( not an expensive one, a cheapo from Radio Shack ) .

i'll try it out. thanks for you help guys, and thanks for the welcome.

I simply played with the positioning of my antenna(s). One on my 522 and one on my 322. I didn't extend them with coax ... just tilted their angles. One worked best cocked off at about xxx degrees, the other cocked more like yyy degrees (the other way). Just try moving them around a bit, that may be all you need.

What frequency are the UHF remotes operating at?
My guess is they're either around 430MHz or 49MHz. It'd be fairly simple to make a colinear antenna from co-ax to improve reception.

Hmmmm

Before I got too creative Buckwild, make sure the bats are fresh. Don't trust the batteries that came with it. If still having problems I would readress that remote to the receiver. If still not working...then make the pig-tail.

Well I had this problem and the second room is less than 30 ft away, so I decided to not deal with any $hit, we have an old UHF tv antenna in the attic so i found the old UHF cable that went to it, hooked it up with an adapter and hey, now u can control it from outside!!
eheeh

For a moderate distance moving the whip antenna is usually enough. If you're not using the 6' length of RG-59 that came with the receiver you can attach one end to the Remote Antenna Input jack of the receiver and use a barrel connector to attach the wand to the other end. Put the wand as high as possible. It will generally work better if it is vertical.

For a longer distance, you can put a splitter on each end of the TV2 RF ("To TV2") output and put a wand or UHF loop or bow tie on the other leg of each splitter. Sometimes an inexpensive RF amplifier at the remote end helps. Don't try to amplify the remote input to the receiver.

For one very large house I replaced the little wand antenna supplied with a Silver Sensor (Zenith ZHD-TV1 or Phillips PM-HDTV1) with the elements rotated vertically and it worked great. I have a 3rd TV connected in a garage accross a big yard using the splitters and additional antennas described above and it works well, too.

buckwild said:
the second remote doesnt work so well from the other room at times and i was wondering if anyone knew this procedure. i seem to recall seeing how to do it with an older box, but if anyone knows how to do it on the 522, i would be greatful.

Is this the procedure you were referring to? :http://ekb.dbstalk.com/33
No idea if it works on newer boxes though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)