How to mount on a balcony

derekcentrico

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
Florida
Okay, my sister is living in a townhouse and the only place I can put her DISH is on the backside on the balcony.

However, it cannot penetrate the 1/2 by 6 boards that act as the fencing.

The only way to achieve signal is for the DISH to hang out 2 feet from the balcony to get around an overhanging wall obstruction.

I've search Google like mad to find some sort of mounting system that would extend horizontally, to no avail. Any ideas?

extended pole in large bucket of concrete.

might ask townhouse to become a MDU E will install a master dish and all.

helps appearance a lot

hmm. they won't do that, i tried that idea before.

regarding the bucket of cement, that would also require a T pipe as well as a 90 degree angle piece on the end to support the dish.

what would the pipe size need to be for mounting the dish onto? or will i have to obtain some special types of brackets?

Take a wide angle picture where the dish needs to be mounted. I just might have a few suggestions as I have mine installed on my upstairs balcony.

Allright, I couldn't do wideangle with my phone, so here are a few shots.

Basically I just have to get it to stick out past the wall that the balcony is around.
Directly on the other side of that wall is a Dish customer...

Attachments

• DSCF3150.JPG
    DSCF3150.JPG
    476 KB · Views: 241
  • DSCF3151.JPG
    DSCF3151.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCF3152.JPG
    DSCF3152.JPG
    251.6 KB · Views: 220
  • DSCF3153.JPG
    DSCF3153.JPG
    478.4 KB · Views: 222
the building owner might give you a hard time over it having to stick out so far.

PLUMB is most imporant. exponentially so for one sticking out.....

Well I wouldn't mind giving it a try, so long as it is flush with that wall it has to get around. So like, if it were strapped to the balcony and hanging out that 1.5ft to get around, I don't think that would be so problematic...

Thoughts on how to accomplish that?

I should note that on the images provided, the DISH would be placed on the left side. Two images detail the small wall I have to get past. I can't have any penetration of the wood; that's the only stipulation.

Derekcentrino you sent me a PM but I couldnt respond:( system says your name isnt a valid user name:(

In any case claude grenier is the dish stores real name and owner.

a local metal shop should be able to fabricate the mount, you will need a larger than normal & heavier bucket of concrete.

they won't let her do a tripod on the ground just outside the balcony? I'd have to re-read that FCC sheet, but my porch area didn't offer quite the line of sight I needed, so my dish is on a tripod in a planting area just in front of my porch in order to the get the roughly SW angle it needs. the apartment complex I'm in really didn't care as long as it wasn't permanent, and really oddly they even let the dish installer drill a hole to run the cable in through.

Use 2x12's and long nut/bolts to "clamp" to the railing
you may need a few 1 for the foot plate and 1 each for support braces
I would use a straight pipe to extend out then make adjustment for the mast not being plumb

any chance of running a cable between units somehow?

you pay for the dish upgrade, to facilitate the added receiver.

they each have seperate accounts no stacking, they just share the dish which is allowed.

That occurred to me too. If the neighbor has dish, it would be simpler to run an additional cable from their Dish if they approved and just share the Dish. A tripod would work too. Considering the amount of ice on the ground now in Oklahoma and more snow coming in, it is not something I would be doing today though.:cool: My sister would just have to read a book.:eek:

Yes, I have a temporary line from her neighbors satellite. They got it last week and the tech was kind enough to run an extra.

The problem is that those neighbors will be leaving in 6 months so I'm thinking I might lose the satellite connection and need to start devising a method to restore it for her.

So, I'm trying to get a headstart while I have time. While I'm not deploying with my unit to Afghan in March, I will be activated and possibly busy depending on problems they run into.... So want to knock it out...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)