How to "move"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobgunter

Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Hey folks,

So, I'm in an area where I can receive SD locals but not the HD locals. Okay, so I'm in Ottawa, Canada and receive Baltimore SD locals. The HD locals are dark (almost all zeros on the (s) transponders) and give me the 771 messages. I'd love to "move" to a market with a HD spot that covers Ottawa. Been thinking Plattsburgh, Syracuse, Rochester, Utica or maybe another market with wide-ranging HD locals?

I've been a good customer for years, bill always paid, rarely make requests, almost never have problems and like other Canucks, I don't want to be dictated to by the CRTC and some Victoria-residing, pot-smoking director of documentaries who has the ear of government, about what I can and cannot watch when I want to watch some tube. This is Canada, not China! But, I didn't post this to rant.

What can you suggest about "moving" one's service and what would be the best market to "move" to which would provide HD locals to Ottawa?

I love my DTV and wish I could use the final feature or two that I currently can't (ie: VoD) without fear of being shut down. I esp. love the quality of the HD channels! My wife and I, within minutes of activating my HD receiver... MINUTES.. looked at each other and wondered aloud "Why did we put up with SD for so long? It's awful compared to HD!" The HD xtra pack is well worth the $5!

Hey folks,

So, I'm in an area where I can receive SD locals but not the HD locals. Okay, so I'm in Ottawa, Canada and receive Baltimore SD locals. The HD locals are dark (almost all zeros on the (s) transponders) and give me the 771 messages. I'd love to "move" to a market with a HD spot that covers Ottawa. Been thinking Plattsburgh, Syracuse, Rochester, Utica or maybe another market with wide-ranging HD locals?

I've been a good customer for years, bill always paid, rarely make requests, almost never have problems and like other Canucks, I don't want to be dictated to by the CRTC and some Victoria-residing, pot-smoking director of documentaries who has the ear of government, about what I can and cannot watch when I want to watch some tube. This is Canada, not China! But, I didn't post this to rant.

What can you suggest about "moving" one's service and what would be the best market to "move" to which would provide HD locals to Ottawa?

I love my DTV and wish I could use the final feature or two that I currently can't (ie: VoD) without fear of being shut down. I esp. love the quality of the HD channels! My wife and I, within minutes of activating my HD receiver... MINUTES.. looked at each other and wondered aloud "Why did we put up with SD for so long? It's awful compared to HD!" The HD xtra pack is well worth the $5!

I'm surprised that the Baltimore spotbeam covers that far north, but never the less, I would think the Plattsburgh hd signal has the best chance for you since it's the closest to Ottawa. The hd spots are smaller than the sd ones, so it's possible that it won't reach you.

Just go about it the same way you did to get SD locals and you should be fine.

Do you get ANY signals on the sat transponders where locals would normally be?

If you have zero signal on every transponder for 99s and 103s, then you have no hope in that venture.

If you have signal over 50 on some transponders, then you just have to guess the right market as to which locals are on that transponder (there is no index at this point).

Just go about it the same way you did to get SD locals and you should be fine.

Do you get ANY signals on the sat transponders where locals would normally be?

When I hooked up for the SD locals, I had permission to use an address. I don't know anyone in the Plattsburg area (or Syracuse, etc) though. How do others "move" to an area when you don't know anyone there?

I will get the transponder signal strengths later this evening, but if there's no map of transponder to market I guess that's not much help?

How do others "move" to an area when you don't know anyone there?

So I've heard...

Use Google and find an apartment complex in the area you want to "move" to. See that it goes to only say, "200" apartments and then "move there to apt. 201!!! (or any higher number) That way you are safe to know that that address is not in use currently.

So I've heard...

Use Google and find an apartment complex in the area you want to "move" to. See that it goes to only say, "200" apartments and then "move there to apt. 201!!! (or any higher number) That way you are safe to know that that address is not in use currently.

That or a mobile home park. Plentiful down here. Either way will work fine

Hey folks,

Thank you for the good tips!

Even though I'm on paperless billing, doesn't DTV send at least one invoice to the service address (to basically confirm that it's real)? At both of the previous addresses I'd used, a bill or two was sent after the address change (and I'd been on paperless billing at the time).

If they don't do that anymore, how would I make an address in a mobile home park? How does addressing work in one of those?

(jtwex: LOL!)

Cheers!

Hey folks,

Thank you for the good tips!

Even though I'm on paperless billing, doesn't DTV send at least one invoice to the service address (to basically confirm that it's real)? At both of the previous addresses I'd used, a bill or two was sent after the address change (and I'd been on paperless billing at the time).

If they don't do that anymore, how would I make an address in a mobile home park? How does addressing work in one of those?

(jtwex: LOL!)

Cheers!

This is a good question....I also have wanted to know for those who choose to "move" dont you risk some kind of penalty???

I cant even remember if I got the original invoice in the mail, If i did that was the only one and happened before I moved.
ALl I know is both companies rarely question this practice.

When signing up for new service there is a bill sent almost immediately after activation, because they always bill one month in advance. So you'll pay a couple prorated days, and your first full month.

If you activate paperless billing, it probably won't hit in time to stop the first bill.

When I most recently "moved," my bill continued coming to my billing address, without interruption. Had it gone to my new service address, I would have known.

Mobile homes are usually addressed:
Name
Street #
Lot #
City, State Zip

Good point, and I am not sure why i forgot that. Very important to NOT change the BILLING address. If you keep it as it was you wont have any problems. Thats what I did.

Mobile homes are usually addressed:
Name
Street #
Lot #
City, State Zip
Very true, however I used a mobile home park to "move" to and didnt have to give a lot number. I just used the general address for the park

Hey folks!

Noted down the signal levels. It was raining a bit so the levels are a bit lower than normal. I also have lower signals on tuner 2 vs tuner 1 so these are tuner 1 signals only. I've also not spent a lot of time tweaking the signal on the dish since the levels seemed pretty good (and time was a factor when I mounted the dish).

Based on these signals, which market do you think would be the most likely candidate for receiving locals?

Code:

1-8      95  88  91   0  93  99  91  98
9-16     92  91  92   0  94  99  88  99
17-24    91  100 94   0  95  100 91  99
25-32    95  85  95  37  96  100 93  100

1-8      NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  79
9-16     NA  60  NA  79  NA  NA  NA  NA
17-24    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA
25-32    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

1-8      NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA
9-16     NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA
17-24    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  83  100 80
25-32    0   85  83  84  0   83  96  85

99c

1-8      89  89  86  89  86  85  83  88
9-16     86  85  85  86  91  86  NA  NA

99s

1-8      0   0   0   0   0   0   NA  NA
9-16     NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  0   0
17-24    53  38  0   0   97  93  0   0

103c

1-8      91  87  85  82  86  83  80  81
9-16     84  81  83  83  85  83  NA  NA

103s

1-8      99  0   0   0   99  0   NA  NA
9-16     NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  0   0
17-24    0   0   0   0   95  0   0   0
Cheers!

I 'moved' tonight and was told by the CSR that "Doing this to try to get locals is a federal offense." Everything was going great until I told her not to change my billing address as I still was getting mail there for awhile. I didn't realize I could have just let her changed the billing address and logged into my Directv.com account and changed it back until after I got off the phone with her. Now I am probably going to federal prison and I want to cry.

I 'moved' tonight and was told by the CSR that "Doing this to try to get locals is a federal offense." Everything was going great until I told her not to change my billing address as I still was getting mail there for awhile. I didn't realize I could have just let her changed the billing address and logged into my Directv.com account and changed it back until after I got off the phone with her. Now I am probably going to federal prison and I want to cry.

Nah you not going to prison.

Status
Please reply by conversation.