How to point my dish at 129

TJ22

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 31, 2005
I wanted to check to see if I can pick up Voom on 129. I want to turn my 110/119 dishpro plus 500 dish to 129. How do I do that? Do I adjust the skew or evelation or just spin it around the pole toward 129? What is the best way to do this? Do I use the point dish app in the receiver? Also after I point it to 129 will it download the guide again so I can see if I get voom of not?

Thanks alot.

That #@!$ 811 what a POS. I tried moving my sat around it wouldnt refresh and would keep saying no signal but I went and used my 322 instead very responsive. So I got my sat back to 110/119 but was never successful pointing it to the 129. any tips?

I used my 311 to find 129, my 811 will not display any signal for 129 until I did the check switch.

Cover the eye for 110 with aluminum foil and use the eye for 119 to find 129. With the eye for 110 covered find 119 first and then move the dish to your right (standing behind) or to the West. Once you see signal on 129 run a check switch on the 811 and 129 should be there.

So I should not have to adjust the evelation or skew? Just spin it to the right?

Which is 110 and which is 119? I have the dishpro plus 500.

3f_1_b.JPG

Just wrap foil around the 110?

About how far to the right do you turn it?

Looking at that picture 119 is to your left and 110 is to your right. Just cover the 110 eye so you don't get mixed up. The elevation is almost the same if not the same as 119. Leave the skew alone, don't mess with it.

What's your zipcode? Scott posted the elevation angles for the D1000 in a PDF document. Let me see if I can find it.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=87403&page=5&highlight=dish+1000

Post #71

Again that's for the D1000 so don't mess with the skew. Just look at the elevation angle and azimuth.

One question, why do you want to lose 119 and 110 for 129? Do you just want to see if you can get 129?

I just wanted to see if I can get it. If I can I will activate and just swing the dish until I get the 300.

I was unsuccessful. I turned it very slow and picked up nothing...this is no easy task.

TJ22 said:
I was unsuccessful. I turned it very slow and picked up nothing...this is no easy task.
Actually, it's quite easy - once you've done it a few times. ;)

You probably need to drop your elevation a couple of degrees. And even "very slow" may be too fast - it takes several seconds for a receiver to respond. Satellite beepers/meters are cheap and really take the frustration out of it. I prefer the beeper (toner) myself. You can swing that dish around and at least get a basic lock in just a couple of seconds.

SimpleSimon said:
Actually, it's quite easy - once you've done it a few times. ;)

You probably need to drop your elevation a couple of degrees. And even "very slow" may be too fast - it takes several seconds for a receiver to respond. Satellite beepers/meters are cheap and really take the frustration out of it. I prefer the beeper (toner) myself. You can swing that dish around and at least get a basic lock in just a couple of seconds.

What beeper do you like and where can I get it?

That one looks like a meter, not a beeper. Some people like that. Me, I prefer a toner - so I can keep my eyes on the bolts as I tighten them.

Took a quick look on eBay for the one I use (SatBuddy) but all that's there is a totally different, expensive one. I'll see if we've got manufacturer/distributor info at the shop.

Mine is a tiny unit. 2 F-connectors and a headphone jack. Retails for $20.

Ah! Found one: http://cgi.ebay.com/SF-100-Satellite-Beeper-Signal-Finder-DirecTV-Dish-RV_W0QQitemZ5833834058QQcategoryZ11726QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also here: http://www.wsidigital.com/sf100.htm

I hadn't seen those before Simon and you're right the one I posted is a meter not a beeper. It does the trick for me as I hear the tone when it finds something.

RandallA said:
I hadn't seen those before Simon and you're right the one I posted is a meter not a beeper. It does the trick for me as I hear the tone when it finds something.
You're saying it DOES make noise? If so, it's the best of both worlds - especially if it's got a speaker instead of requiring an earphone.

I currently have a 742 with a DISH 500 and a single dish pointing at 148. The only thing I get off of the 148 are the locals which I already get OTA. I was thinking of pointing that dish at 129 for ESPN2 HD and VOOM when they become available. I did see the documentation posted previously in this thread but it was for a DISH 1000 installation. Would the values be the same or is there a place where I can get the azimuth and elevation by zip code for a single dish pointing at 129?

You are correct those values are for a D1000 but the elevation angle can be used. You could go into the "Point Dish" screen in your receiver and enter your zipcode, select 119 and it will give you the Azimuth, Elevation and Skew angles for 119.

The elevation angle for 129 is almost the same as 119. For the azimuth, you just need to turn the dish just a bit to the West. As far as the skew angle, this applies for the D500 if you want to get both 119 and 110. So if it's going to be used for a single satellite, then the skew is 0.

For that dish pointing at 148, is it a D300 or a D500? Also most likely your locals have been mirrored to 129 if you have them at 148. What's your DMA?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)