Roughly when will 942+ unit be released?

Brewer4

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 12, 2005
Hartford Connecticut
My friend is looking to go to Dish but it might better for him to wait for the 942+ receiver. Any idea when that will be available to the public?

No idea if it will EVER be available, Dish is testing a bunch of different things to make the upgrade to MPEG4 less painfull for their customers.

There will be a special Charlie Chat next month which will address all of this stuff. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
There will be a special Charlie Chat next month which will address all of this stuff. :)

Hope there is no dejavu happening here...I jumped on board the "next month tune in to Charlie Chat for info on ???" when the Superdish was being introduced along with the 921, 811, and other HD channels. How long did we here that line until something was actually said?

I've got my fingers crossed for actual info to be released waiting for my HD LiL! :hungry:

And I also hope Charlie makes his receivers price competitive with D*.

I still think if they are discontinuing 811's along with any other older receivers then they should do the swap outs. Why make people pay for the new recievers so we can see new programming?

We bought those receivers to receive the programming that was available at the time. DISH reserved the right to make additions and deletions. No promise was made about receiver lifetimes or future suitability. All products have a limited life. We bought DVD burners that could not be upgraded to +R or +RW. We bought cars that cannot be (practically) upgraded to air bags, ABS, etc. So they may be well within their rights to hold off any upgrade/trade in until we can no longer receive the programming packages (more or less) that we signed up for- and that may be long after we have been enticed to move on for other reasons- like new offerings.

That being said, almost certainly owners of recently sold items will be offered some sort of deal. There is just no reason to offer such deals now- there is no MPEG-4 programming now, and no offerings have been shifted from MPEG-2 to exclusively MPEG-4. I would not be surprised if little or no upgrade offer is made to 2600 owners. Probably 301 owners will get something- in a couple of years.

Since I plan to dispose of my 301 and keep my 721 & 508 I don't expect I'll have any choice but to buy or lease at full rate when I get my 622. Of course, with each passing day the 721 & 508 become worth less & less, so if the 622 if further off in the future than I think, I may have to reconsider.

what about the people who don't have the money like most on this board to go buy a 411/211 or 942 or any top of the line product out there? Not everyone is made of money and money certainly doesn't grow on any of my trees!!! I see guys on here talking about how they got this and that well it's nice to know you got the money and enjoy flaunting it.

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
what about the people who don't have the money like most on this board to go buy a 411/211 or 942 or any top of the line product out there? Not everyone is made of money and money certainly doesn't grow on any of my trees!!!

cost savings advice deleted by submitter

Last edited:
Scooby thats a choice you need to make. In talking with folks at Dish I can safely tell you that there will be no upgrade plans announced for at least 2 months.

The MPEG4 equipment out there now is for new customers, however if someone wants to upgrade now and pay $399 MSRP for the receiver, Dish has no problem with that. :D

FreddyvsJasonvsAsh said:
what about the people who don't have the money like most on this board to go buy a 411/211 or 942 or any top of the line product out there? Not everyone is made of money and money certainly doesn't grow on any of my trees!!! I see guys on here talking about how they got this and that well it's nice to know you got the money and enjoy flaunting it.
So because you can't afford to "play the game", you feel that it is necessary to lash out at those of us who can?