How to point my OTA

chef-Patrick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Hi guys,

I got a quick question for you. I am trying to re-aim my OTA because where it was pointing I am getting squat. I assumed that you had to point the tip of the antenna to the bearring you wanted to get to (i.e. 206, 309 and so on).

Well the thing is I was able to get my local PBS (both sd and hd) which antennaweb.org say are located at 301. I now have a signal strength of 88 on that RF but my antenna is pointing at 209 ???

I found this out by accident trying to get some stations at 209 (FOXHD: Nascar baby :D ) which, by the way did not work :confused:

Any idea what is happening would be apreciated

well what kind ot antenna do you have if it is the sensor just aim the middle plastic part the way of you station if it is a boom antenna point the smaller end toward the station and you should be good to go.

tyork

TYORK said:
well what kind ot antenna do you have if it is the sensor just aim the middle plastic part the way of you station if it is a boom antenna point the smaller end toward the station and you should be good to go.

tyork

I was not home when they installed it. All I know is that it is the bigger of the 2 models VOOM offers. It's about 10' and it has a V pattern. I pointed the small end towards my goal station. Which is putting me about 100 degree away from the station I am getting now

You can probably only get that station at night. Has to do with radio waves/environment, etc. You probably won't get it in the daytime unless you aim towards it.

That is a highly directional antenna and at night I can be aimed at fox and be able to also pick up my cbs affiliate which is 70 degrees north. But if I try it during the day it won;t come in.

And yes the small end should be pointing to the tower. It looks back-asswards, but that is the way it goes.

I used a rotator to find the sweet spot to get all my UHF digitals at one setting. My UHF digitals are roughly at 20, 95, 145, 146 and 155 degrees. My VHF locals are at 20 and 340 degrees.

So, I used an 8-bay for UHF and a CM 3017 for VHF. The CM 7777 Titan2 pre-amp ties the two antennas together.

I have strong signal readings this way.

You can also use channel specific CM Join-tennas to combine two antennas in an effort to pick up an important station that a single antenna can't even though it receives every other. A Join-tenna is just a little box that only passes a specific channel from one antenna and combines it with the signals from the other antenna.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts