How to Program Hannspree TV for your Dish Remote

GoGatorsLarry

Original poster
Jan 10, 2011
Florida
If you are reading this, you too have discovered that the Dish Remote does not have any codes for the Hannspree TVs. After researching the web, and many headaches, I have put together a short tutorial to explain how to program your Dish Remote to work with a Hannspree TV. This has only been tested on the Dish 20.0 IR Remote, but should work for the 21.0 as well.

Okay, so let's get started...

You must first program the Dish Remote with a code that enables some functionality of your Hannspree TV Remote

Step 1: Press and hold TV Mode button on your Dish Remote for several seconds until all the lights light up at the top

Step 2: Press the code numbers "506" and then hit the pound "#" key (the red TV light will flash 3 times)

Note: The code you just entered will give your Hannspree TV Remote "limited" functionality; like the razing and lowering the volume control on the TV, and the ability to turn the TV set OFF. Unfortunately, the functionality of the remote stops there, and you will not be able to turn your Hannspree TV back ON using the Dish Remote.

So, this brings us to the next process that will enable you to individually program the remaining buttons, starting with the Power button...

Step 1: Place the Hannspree TV Remote perpendicular to the Dish Remote, so the front of the Hannspree Remote is facing the left side IR window of the Dish Remote (closely)

Step 2: Press and hold TV Mode button on the Dish Remote for several seconds until all the lights light up at the top (the TV light will start flashing)

Step 3: Press the Recall button once (the TV light will stay steadily lit)

Step 4: Press and hold the "RECORD" button until the light goes out and comes back on again

Step 5: Press the "big" red POWER button "once" on the Dish Remote

Note: do not press the small TV power button, because you will not be able to program that button as it is only used in the SAT mode)

Step 6: Press and hold the Hannspree TV Remote "Power" button until the lighted TV button on the Dish Remote flashes "Off," and then back "On" again

Note: To add additional Hannspree TV Remote button functionality on your Dish Remote, simply repeat Steps 4 & 5).

Step 7: Once you have programmed all of the Hannspree TV Remote buttons, simply press the SAT button on the upper-left portion of your Dish Remote.

That's it! You are done! It's just that simple. If you need any help, please let me know and I will try to help you the best I can. This has only been tested on the Dish 20.0 IR Remote, but should also work for the 21.0 as well.

I created this tutorial to help those who might be as frustrated as I was with my new Hannspree TV. If this helped you, please post here and let me know it worked for ya. :)

Last edited:
I went through this myself a couple of months ago. I found that the NEC codes (506) were the ones that work for the Hannspree. Added several functions through the learning process as well. I can confirm that this also works with the 21.0 remote.

I would also recommend a Power Scan:

Step 1: Press and hold TV Mode button on your Dish Remote for several seconds until all the lights light up at the top.

Step 2: Press the TV power button (small red button below the main power button at the top of the remote) once. After doing that, keep pressing the channel up button on the remote till the TV turns off.

Step 3: Once TV turns off stop pressing the channel up button and press the record button (red button in the middle of the remote), this saves the code in the remote that works with your TV. Turn the TV back on and switch remote to satellite mode.

This is a sure way to find the code in our remote that will work with your TV, but the process has been known to take up to 7 minutes so please be patient.

I would also recommend a Power Scan:

Step 1: Press and hold TV Mode button on your Dish Remote for several seconds until all the lights light up at the top.

Step 2: Press the TV power button (small red button below the main power button at the top of the remote) once. After doing that, keep pressing the channel up button on the remote till the TV turns off.

Step 3: Once TV turns off stop pressing the channel up button and press the record button (red button in the middle of the remote), this saves the code in the remote that works with your TV. Turn the TV back on and switch remote to satellite mode.

This is a sure way to find the code in our remote that will work with your TV, but the process has been known to take up to 7 minutes so please be patient.

That will only get you to the "506" code, which only allows for partial functionality (as I described above). Thanks for your interest and reponse though... :)

I've got the 506 code programmed, so I can turn the TV off and adjust the volume. But I have a remote that says "6.4" at the top, and your procedure above doesn't work. When I get to the step that says "Press the Recall button once (the TV light will stay steadily lit)," my TV light just goes off. Any idea how to program a "6.4" so the power button will turn the TV on as well as off? I also note that "mute" on my remote makes the "info" box pop up instead of muting.

I was unable to edit my post above, so here is the same set of instructions in a more simplified way to make it easier to understand...

How to Program Hannspree TV for a Dish Remote

***Edited on 22 Jan 2011 to simplify the steps***
If you are reading this, you too have discovered that the Dish Remote does not have any codes for the Hannspree TVs. After researching the web, and many headaches, I have put together a short tutorial to explain how to program your Dish Remote to work with a Hannspree TV. This has only been tested on the Dish 20.0 IR Remote, but should work for the 21.0 as well.

Okay, so let's get started...

You must first program the Dish Remote with a code that enables some functionality of your Hannspree TV Remote

Step 1: Press and hold TV Mode button on your Dish Remote for several seconds until all the lights light up at the top

Step 2: Press the code numbers "506" and then hit the pound "#" key (the red TV light will flash 3 times)

Note: The code you just entered will give your Hannspree TV Remote "limited" functionality; like the razing and lowering the volume control on the TV, and the ability to turn the TV set OFF. Unfortunately, the functionality of the remote stops there, and you will not be able to turn your Hannspree TV back ON using the Dish Remote.

Now, Let's teach the Dish remote a few more buttons ...one at a time
Step 1: Place the Hannspree TV Remote facing the the left side IR window of the Dish Remote (within 4 inches)

Step 2: Press and hold TV Mode button on the Dish Remote for several seconds until all start flashing

Step 3: Press the Recall button once (the TV light will stay steadily lit)

Step 4: Press and hold the "RECORD" button until the light goes out, and comes back on again

Step 5: On the Dish remote, press the button you want "programmed/learned" once

Step 6: On the Hannspree Remote, press and hold the button you want programmed/learned until the TV button on the Dish Remote flashes "Off," and then back "On" again

Step 7: Once you have programmed all of the Hannspree TV Remote buttons, simply press the SAT button on the upper-left portion of your Dish Remote, and you are done.
Note: If you want to have the Dish remote learn additional buttons on the remote, simply repeat Steps 4 & 5).
I created this tutorial to help those who might be as frustrated as I was with my new Hannspree TV. If this helped you, please post here and let me know it worked for ya.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts