How to record two programs with vip 622

wildboys

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
I just got my new vip 622.Upgraded the 921 but if i
try to record 1 channel and change and watch another it says
i have two stop recording.Is there a setting to fix this?
With my 921 i could record one channel and watch another at the same time.Is there a setting on the vip 622 that enables this feature?

With my 921 i could record one channel and watch another at the same time.Is there a setting on the vip 622 that enables this feature?
There are two tuners, TV1, which is connected to the TV near the receiver, and TV2, which is probably in another room. (You may also have TV2 connected to the same TV as TV1 to use PIP.)

If you are recording on TV1, then that tuner is comitted to the channel being recorded; you cannot watch another channel on TV1. You can, however, record one program on TV2 and watch another on TV1. The recorded program can be played back later on either TV.

If you have the OTA tuner connected, you can record three programs at on time. If you are recording a sat channel on TV1 and want to watch or record an OTA channel, you must select it by using the program guide or entering the channel number (example 0081 for channel 8-1). You cannot use the channel up/down buttons.

There are two tuners, TV1, which is connected to the TV near the receiver, and TV2, which is probably in another room. (You may also have TV2 connected to the same TV as TV1 to use PIP.)

If you are recording on TV1, then that tuner is comitted to the channel being recorded; you cannot watch another channel on TV1. You can, however, record one program on TV2 and watch another on TV1. The recorded program can be played back later on either TV.
If you use Record Plus (menu/prefernces) enabled to TV2, all recording will go there by default.

After a few months of running my 622 in dual mode I realized that we RARELY watch TV2 at the same time as TV1, so I switched to single mode. This alleviates you having to worry about the recording source, enables PIP and in my case, displays better on TV2 (guide, aspect ratio, etc..).

You can always quickly change it to dual mode if you need to watch different content on the two sets simultaneously. Better to leave it in single mode in my opinion.

After a few months of running my 622 in dual mode I realized that we RARELY watch TV2 at the same time as TV1, so I switched to single mode. This alleviates you having to worry about the recording source, enables PIP and in my case, displays better on TV2 (guide, aspect ratio, etc..).

You can always quickly change it to dual mode if you need to watch different content on the two sets simultaneously. Better to leave it in single mode in my opinion.

I'm in the learning before buying stage of looking into Dish...what do you mean by "and in my case, displays better on TV2 (guide, aspect ratio, etc..)" when you are in single mode?
When you are in single mode, how do you display anything to TV2?

Thanks.

I'm in the learning before buying stage of looking into Dish...what do you mean by "and in my case, displays better on TV2 (guide, aspect ratio, etc..)" when you are in single mode?
When you are in single mode, how do you display anything to TV2?

In single mode, TV2 mirrors what's being displayed on TV1. Both outputs are common. It may be configurable and you may be able to turn the TV2 output off altogether but I don't believe it defaults that way.

If there's no TV2 attached there's no reason to run the 622 in dual mode.

Since you are in single mode - use the swap button to get to the other tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts