How to remove mesh panels for refurbishing?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi all, I bought an old KTI 10' dish that has several issues with the mesh panels. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the mesh so they can be reworked and put back in. I don't see how to do it and am turning to the forum for advice. Please see the pics below. If I can answer any questions just let me know.

Thanks,
Alan
P1010439 (Medium).JPG
P1010442 (Medium).JPG
P1010443 (Medium).JPG

Attachments

• P1010444 (Medium).JPG
    P1010444 (Medium).JPG
    205.6 KB · Views: 226
Reactions: fred555
It's been a long time since BITD when I did one like that, for some hail damage. - and -Don't have a KTI myself, but by the last picture it looks like you remove the screws holding the mesh to the outer perimeter. Remove the outer perimeter piece, then slide the panel out of the channels in the radials.
Someone with a KTI will either confirm this , or blow it out of the water.

The way I do it is remove the screws and/or clips. Then take a broad headed flat screw driver or pry bar and very carefully: Push under the aluminum lip and slightly twist, to raise it a bit and slide down a 1/2 inch and repeat. Tedious and time consuming, but looks good once done. Anyway after getting it all the way around, gently pull the mesh out(by the big end) and away from the dish. Work the mesh over on a flat surface with a rubber mallet. Then slide back in and take the rubber mallet and tap back down the lip.

Reactions: FTA4PA and fred555
Remove the screws and clips like KE4EST said.Try not to break or loose those clips.If it's like my 7.5 KTI,the mesh will then slide right out toward the outer edge.(Unless some one put some caulk or something in the grooves to tighten it up) Mine needed no prying with a screwdriver.Straighten the mesh and install it in reverse.It is a PITA to slide them back in without extra hands...the mesh will try to jump out of the slots every chance it gets.Broken clips can be replaced by twisting thin aluminium wire in their place.

As I was warned here before: Place a dab of black caulking every few inches in the slots to secure the mesh.Otherwise the mesh can easily pop out.

EDIT: As far as the outer perimeter slot...my mesh panels would slide toward the center enough to come out of the perimeter slot.They're only in like 3/16".Then I pulled them back and out.

Reactions: fred555 and KE4EST
You may want to wear some long sleeves and gloves, you can thank me later.
I learned this lesson on a KTI.
The edges on that mesh can tear you up.
I didn't follow this advice on the first dish I fixed. :(

Gloves? I didn't use no stinkin' gloves!
Yeah,the edges of the mesh are jagged like if you cut some window screen wire diagonally.Those little loose wires on the edges are what makes it such a pain to slide back into the slots.And some break off and stick in your hands.

I posted a while back and mentioned how pleased I was because my second dish had a bazillion screws holding the mesh instead of the slots.

I reworked all the mesh on my 7.5' KTI and it was pretty much like posted above.

Worked my way around the dish with two panels out at a time- the one being reworked and the one about to be reworked. This let me have an open section to reach in and help guide the reworked panel back in.

The last panel to go in was the biggest challenge though.

My KTI-12 doesn't have screws holding the mesh in place, only clips. Removing the clips should allow the panels to slide out. You must be cutting your own mesh since you can't get the manufactured panels - good luck with that.

The original poster has a sectional type antenna, which has all of the disadvantages and precautions mentioned. Once you remove the screws it may sometimes be necessary to install a slightly larger diameter sheet metal screw, and or put a matching flat washer behind it to reinforce the mesh and to help prevent it working loose in the elements. Sectional antennas were designed for easy installation--one time. They can be disassembled and reinstalled, but always a challenge. This is why I preferred the knockdown design that Orbitron had on the SX series of antennas, and the CKD series from KTI. The mesh slides completely out and can be carefully reworked away from the antenna with a pair of pliers or other edge flattening technique. Mesh clips can be made or found from certain suppliers in the window glass business, and wire clips can be cut and bent into a J shape with a 1/2 inch widenose pliers after cutting from a roll of galvanized 17 AWG fencing wire..if you have a model with support rings behind the mesh.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)