How to repair fascia after dish removal

kahtov

Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
cary nc
Hi!

I want to remove a satellite attached to the box end/fascia on the side of my house. The house has vinyl siding...I'm assuming the fascia is a aluminum material. What's the best way to patch up after the removal?

Thanks!
John

IMG_0493.JPG

Replace the aluminum is the "proper" way. You can't really patch it.... Best alternative would be take the same (4) fasteners and put them back in the holes and then paint the heads white to match the flashing.

Take the aluminum fascia off, and replace it.
Should cost you around $20

Take a punch and hit the nails right through the old aluminum.
You might need 2 ladders and another hand.

Replace the aluminum is the "proper" way. You can't really patch it.... Best alternative would be take the same (4) fasteners and put them back in the holes and then paint the heads white to match the flashing.
I'd squeeze a few dabs of a solvent based/polyurethane sealant/caulking in the holes too before putting them back in as well.

I'd squeeze a few dabs of a solvent based/polyurethane sealant/caulking in the holes too before putting them back in as well.

Ditto.....why make a project out of 4 holes?......Im sure you have more important things to due?

I
Ditto.....why make a project out of 4 holes?......Im sure you have more important things to due?

Thank you all for your helpful answers. I'm not doing the project myself, but having a handyman do it (I have no experience on a 2 story ladder). I just wanted to make sure I have it done correctly, so I'm managing it. :) I am having real difficult time trying to find someone to do the job in Cary, NC!!!

All the handymen I have so far say they wanted to fill the holes with silicone ... but I recall silicone does not hold up too well to the elements. Is there any particular polyurethane based sealant recommended I could buy from Lowes/HD?

Average charge is $75 for the job.

Thanks!

Never tried that seal stuff on the tv adds, but according to their commercial, you can use a screen door as a boat bottom. Would be worth atleast looking into.

I would not replace the AL unless it is absolutely necessary or unless the exiting is almost new. The weather will have faded your exiting some and the new will not be an exact match. You will need to replace a fairly long piece to get to a natural break point if the color is off to hide it.

Get quad caulk made by osi at Lowes for about six dollars. Fill the holes smooth it with your finger a little wider than the original holes and you are done .

Most all window/exterior white caulks are now acrylic latex with silicone. They hold up great. Some are even claiming 40 years of service now

I have been installing Windows and doors plus siding for 30 some years the caulk is no where as good as it was thanks to the EPA . ( you can still buy lead base face paint for Halloween from China for the kids ) acrylic with silicone is fine for the indoors its water clean up,out side use the good stuff .

Just but the new fascia as previously advised. Stupid not to. REAL stupid.!!!
Agree, It looks like a Nice house.
Caulking is the redneck way to fix things.
You are always going to see those holes even when it's caulked and it going to alway look more Dirty then the rest of the aluminum.

But hey do what you want.

There's no way I'd go through the expense of replacing the fascia over 4 lag bolt holes.

Solar seal is by far the best long term sealant out there. The places I've used it when I installed my siding is as good now as it was 15 yrs ago. This stuff is the best. Mine came from abc supply but amazon has it also. Amazon product ASIN B009R6IW6C

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts