How to restore remote control wizard backups

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
My VIP722 failed (hard drive) and Dish replaced it for free with a 722K. It came with the new 2-way remotes (20.0/21.0). The remotes have a great feature that allows you to save settings.

After programming the learning remote and entering a lot of timers in the receiver, I used the System Wizard button on the remote to save both the receiver settings in the remote, and the remote settings in the receiver. The system wizard said that the process completed successfully.

Now I want to transfer the learned settings to the other remote control, but I do not see any Restore button, or any other way to restore the settings that you have backed up! Also, I do not see any way to restore the timers that are saved in the remote back to the receiver!

Does anyone know how to do this? What good is a backup if you have no way to restore it?

Good luck. I could never get a restore to work on a replacement remote (isn't that the whole idea?) and tech support was absolutely clueless about it. I was on the phone with them for about an hour and they were supposed to get back to me. They never did. I finally bit the bullet and reprogrammed all of my custom buttons.

Yeah, I had occasion to actually need to restore to my 722K all the data that I had saved on my remote, but NO Restore option available. It is supposed to Restore, isn't it? I read some time ago in another thread a number of people who could never get the thing to restore and questioned if it was even a real feature. There was one fellow who said he got it to work.

Wow! That is ridiculous! I can not believe that Dish has included a Backup option with no Restore! Without a restore option, this 'feature' is totally useless!

Does anyone out there know how to restore the remote control wizard backups? DIRT team, please help!

The restore option is used when you get a replacement receiver. If you have your settings saved in your old remote, when you get the new receiver, you used old remote and enter system wizard by holding the "0" button on the remote. It says it doesn't recognize the remote or that it found stored settings, would you like to transfer them. I have done this with a lot of 722k receivers

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

The restore option is used when you get a replacement receiver. If you have your settings saved in your old remote, when you get the new receiver, you used old remote and enter system wizard by holding the "0" button on the remote. It says it doesn't recognize the remote or that it found stored settings, would you like to transfer them. I have done this with a lot of 722k receivers

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

OK, my case was different, so I can see where it may NOT have had the restore option, but the problem is when my aunt RMA'd her 722K, I went to offload the data saved on her (722K) remote--2 successful backups--and there was no RESTORE option. It was frustrating. I never told her the stupid thing didn't work as advertised as that was the ENTIRE reason she got a 722K in the first place. I manually re-entered her timers for her.

So, we do need a DIRT member to check with engineering and chime in and let us know about this controversy.

I'm checking into this now. I just reset fact defaults on our test receiver (after backing it up), and am waiting on reboot. I want to see if I can find what you're talking about.

Thanks MattG for checking into this for us!

Could you also please check on how to restore the remote control settings (that are saved in the receiver) to a different remote control.

There is absolutely no information in the manuals on how to restore the receiver timers, or how to transfer remote control settings to a different remote control. Perhaps as jimmerinwi says, the restore option doesn't show up until you have a replacement receiver? Maybe transferring the remote control settings works the same way, and the restore option will not show up until you try to use a different remote?

The info we have listed is very vague.... "Hold 0 - select restore". :confused:

I'm gonna clear our test receiver, and play around with it a bit to see if the restore option is only available at a certain point or something (I couldn't find it either, it's almost like the options are no longer available). If you guys want, I'll post what we have on our internal site regarding backup feature and whatnot.

So... from what I've been told, the restore option should be, and is only available on a replacement receiver/new receiver. If the option is not showing up, engineering requested reports of accounts/receivers not giving the option.

So... from what I've been told, the restore option should be, and is only available on a replacement receiver/new receiver. If the option is not showing up, engineering requested reports of accounts/receivers not giving the option.

OK...So if I get a new receiver the Restore option should show up. (I have no way to test this because I only have one receiver...Have you actually been able to try this)?

Does it work the same way with remote controls? How do I transfer the remote control settings from my 20.0 remote to the 21.0 remote?

The user manuals really need to updated with better information on how to do this, otherwise the 'feature' is useless!

I had my 722K replaced last month, All I did was hold the "0" button until the menu pops up and press Restore.

If your restore option is not there, the remote has no backup data in it.

If you have a new remote, it will be blank, use the old remote, if you sent it back you are out of luck.

Settings cannot be moved from remote to remote, only from receiver to remote then from remote back to a receiver.

I've done this on multiple 722ks as well. Works as advertised. Not sure why it isn't showing up for some of you.

If you have the old remote simply do your restore with it and then back up to the new remote. Seems like it should work to me.

Sorry to make a necropost and revive this old thread, but I have never been able to get this option to work at all. When I try to save my settings to the remote all I ever get is an error, something to the effect of "Remote must be within 10 feet of the receiver, do not move the remote during the process". I have the remote sitting on the carpet 1 or 2 feet in front of the box and never touch it during the operation. I recently had my box replaced and had to reprogram like 85 timers, that sucked!

This took a number of hours because, outside of my regular primetime programs, then I had to go through the whole week's guide trying to find all my other programs like A&E on Tuesdays at 8:00, MTV on Mondays at 11:00, TRU TV on Wednesdays at 6:00, etc. I finally made an Excel spreadsheet after this fun experience.

Last edited:
On the last receiver which I received I had to hold the remote just in front of the IR window, touching the receiver to get it to record the data stream, and that took four tries. On other 722k's it has worked across the room... maybe another S/W jewel?

Actually, I am glad that Straybeat revived my old thread because I was about to do the same thing. Unlike Straybeat, I have always been able to save the settings, but I have never been able to restore them.

I used the System Wizard button on the remote to save both the receiver settings in the remote, and the remote settings in the receiver. The system wizard said that the process completed successfully. (Straybeat, I did have to get within a few feet of my 722K in order for the save to work correctly).

Now I want to transfer the learned settings to another remote control, but I do not see any Restore button, or any other way to restore the settings that you have backed up! Also, I do not see any way to restore the timers that are saved in the remote back to the receiver!

Does anyone know how to do this? What good is a backup if you have no way to restore it?

EDIT: Part of the question was answered above: If I had a new receiver, the Restore option should show up. However, now I am trying to transfer the learned remote control settings (stored in the receiver) to another remote control and I see no way to do that.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)