How to Setup and Verify Mechanical Limits for Bud Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsattv

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
I've been reading that its very important to Mechanically set the Limit Switches on a Bud Dish BEFORE hooking it up to my new V-Box III dish positioner. When I use a 12V DC Battery Charger the Dish Moves to the extreme East with the Actuator Shaft fully extended and stops on its own, and when I reverse the the wires the 12 Foot Mesh Dish drives all the way to the West direction until the Actuator Shaft is fully retracted and stops on its own. Would this be okay? Or do I have to somehow adjust the Cams on the Actuator?

It says in some directions that once you know your farthest East or farthest West Satellite then to go 6 - 10 degree ticks past that?? My question is how can this be done unless the Dish is already calibrated and setup and hooked up to the V-Box III dish positioner? Any replies would be much appreciated.

I would think you would want the limits set slightly past the last programmed position on both ends. That way you also have room to tweak the position a little if need be. Rather than let the limit stop it. The micro switches cut the power when the cam touches it to prevent mechanical jamming at the physical limit. I wouldn't touch that.

I have AMC 10 at 135 deg. my lowest and G3C at 95 deg. my highest presently for example on my BUD. Those sats are within my needs so I just stop there.

well most motors have a limit switch and the other switch to keep you from going past a certain limit. usually the analog receiver handles one limit switch and the motor automatically handles the other. but in your case the limits will need to be set on the v-box. ( to replace the limits from the analog receiver)

it doesn't have to be set first thing , you can still move the dish before it set ( but like Corrado you will probably need a range to set it at. ( or get one in mind on the range and satellites you want to pick up) mine is set to go from 72W to 135W ) but also on some motors you have to see how they handle a dish on the east side so you don't bind it with a load. when i set my v-box up i set it so it center on TS satellite ( at 000) and my east satellite goes to 930 and my west satellite goes to about 180 but i think every motor is just slightly different and each dish size might make a difference also.

A somewhat crude way to see what you need to stop each end at is use the physical locater site for the sat at each end of arc that you want to view ,find them with compass and a protractor ,with which you can get real close and set your limits a little further on each end.
I dont like stopping the actuator with the limit switches but instead use the limits set in the receiver. I also set the limits much farther so I can exercise the acutator several times a year to its fullest travel.
This will help keep it lubricated internally.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts