How to totally reset a SIR-TS360

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Longshots

Original poster
Mar 10, 2006
Hi all. This is my first post, so please don't be too hard on me if I mess up too much. OK, I bought a Samsung SIR-TS360 off ebay to use as an over the air receiver. It powers on, searches for a signal and eventually says 'BOOT FAIL.' Now, Samsung has a FAQ that says I can bypass this and set the receiver to 'No Dish' in order to use over the air capabilities only. The problem is that the receiver give me an error message and wants me to insert an access card, and it gives me the 12 digit number, before it will let me in the setup menu. I have tried hitting the reset button inside the little door where the access card should go, but this only retries the satellite dish search, and eventually goes back to 'BOOT FAIL.' My question is as indicated in my title... is there a TOTAL factory reset procedure I can do in order to get this box to stop looking for the access card. The Samsung site says you can use this box as an over the air receiver without the access card. If this can't be done, does anyone have any other suggestions? THANKS!!!

To reset the Sammy 360 box:

- Hold menu and right arrow
- Choose commands, default settings

Do not know if that will fix your problem or not.

Jerry

Go to a garage sale and pick up an old Direc receiver with any old direc Access card for $5. Once you put in a card, (doesn't matter if it's married to another receiver or even if it's one of the original Direc cards) you can boot and set it to no dish.

Thanks for the responses. I'll try the trick with the menu when I get home tonight. If it does not work, I have seen plenty of cards on ebay for around $5. I'll let you know what happens.

If I remember correctly, during the searching phase there is an on screen button that is highlighted labelled Continue or something similar. If you press the Select button on the remote, it will allow you into the menu area where you can manually select the dish that you have, or in your case, no dish. This might save you the aggravation of finding and access card.

No Joy Yet!!!

So far I have had no luck. :mad: I can see the new menu using the menu and right arrow key sequence. I can even select commands. But I keep getting stonewalled by the 'insert an access card' message. I can only imagine that the unit was unplugged before the card was disabled. I can bypass the satellite check, but, as I said above, the menus will not give me access to any other functions without asking for the card. I wonder if this unit was just unplugged before it was 'deactivated' by DirectTV. I guess I will try to order a card from ebay. Thanks again to all who have responded... :)

Wooohooooooo

I purchased a used access card off ebay. Put that sucker in, hit the reset key, and watched it try to search for a satellite signal. Hit the 'exit' button and went to setups, and lo and behold, it didn't complain a bit!!! I set it to 'no dish' and then scanned for OTA signals. All I have hooked to it for now is a set of rabbit ears. It picked up most standard antenna broadcasts in our area, and several of the digital broadcasts. I have a Zenith SAT520 that I bought at the same time, and it seems to have pulled in a few more stations, and has a more consistent signal delivery. May end up reselling the Samsung on ebay. THANKS TO ALL!!!

Last edited:
Longshots said:
I purchased a used access card off ebay. Put that sucker in, hit the reset key, and watched it try to search for a satellite signal. Hit the 'exit' button and went to setups, and lo and behold, it didn't complain a bit!!! I set it to 'no dish' and then scanned for OTA signals. All I have hooked to it for now is a set of rabbit ears. It picked up most standard antenna broadcasts in our area, and several of the digital broadcasts. I have a Zenith SAT520 that I bought at the same time, and it seems to have pulled in a few more stations, and has a more consistent signal delivery. May end up reselling the Samsung on ebay. THANKS TO ALL!!!

Very good!!!:D

Just to let you know... if you have a dish pointing at the 101 satellite you can get the EPG to work... that is what i am doing with my 360...

Jerry

How to totally reset a SIR-TS360 or Using one without the access card.

I tried replying to / updating this thread, but it was too old and wouldn't take my reply -

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-hd-discussions/59156-how-totally-reset-sir-ts360.html

I also bought a Samsung SIR-TS360 on ebay and it arrived today (with NO access card!!:mad:). Now, I should have known, I know, but let's leave that for the moment.

Point being, I found that other thread (above) and found it very useful because I just happened to have an old DirecTV box from the '90's with an access card in it and it DID work in the TS360 to get me past the "insert access card" window and on to resetting the antenna to "no dish." After that, you've got full access to all menus and features and no longer need the card (tho' I've left it in anyway). So you CAN use any DirecTV card to get past that dreaded "insert access card" screen and use this box for OTA. Digital Dude was right on with that comment.

Also note that I did not get a remote and had been told that you need the remote to set it up, etc. That's not true. The buttons on the front of the box appear to do everything you need to do to set it up and to change channels. I imagine lots of universal remotes will work the thing for changing the channel, so there ya go.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention -- I love this box because it scans in ALL analog and digital channels your antenna is receiving. Thus I now have all my analog (both UHF and VHF) and digital channels from one source. My antenna gives awesome reception for some of the analog channels that I'm not getting digitally, but with my old VOOM box I had to switch wires around to watch an analog channel. Now I can just tune this box to it from my easy chair; that is, once I get one of my universal remotes working to change the channels (or get a remote for it off ebay).

Seems like a great box and they're currently going pretty cheap on ebay.

:)

... I can put this post into that thread if you wish..
Ya, by all means do it if you can. It might help the next guy that has that problem and finds that thread (like I did). I got there by googling "ts360 access card" (without the quotes).

If you're familiar, do you know if this box adds channels on a rescan, or replaces the previously scanned channels on a rescan?

My VOOM boxes add any new channels found without deleting (or "writing over") any previously-scanned channels. That's the way it should be because it's very common for us OTA guys to get different channels from different directions and you really don't want to be rescanning every time. The manual doesn't seem to cover it and I haven't yet had enough experience to tell.

I suppose I'll find out eventually. :)

Another quirk of this box is if you leave it unplugged long enough. It will not turn on right away. I had one I had disconnected for about 6 months and put it into my computer room with a small TV and went to plug it in and it did nothing.

I searched for issues and others said to leave it plugged in ovenight and it will eventually come on.

Sure enough, 18 hours after being plugged in it started booting up.

The receiver is also a good component switcher. I liked the options it gave me of hooking other items up to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)