How to transfer HR 22 recordings to Ext. Hard drive?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ftaisawesome

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Hey guys, I had a couple of questions about the whole hard drive thing. I did a search and found posts that said, an external hard drive replaces the internal in an HR22, instead of giving you extra storage space. I couldn't reply to that post cause it was from 2008.

Is that still the case?

Can you just put all of the contents of your internal drive onto an external? My drive is USB,
Firewire, or ESATA, so I'm good there.

If I can do these things, do I first need to format the external? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance for your help. You guys are great.

Yes, you still lose the internal drive when you plug in an external one.

You can not put data from one drive to another drive.

It should format and install all the information needed by itself.

Yes, you still lose the internal drive when you plug in an external one.

You can not put data from one drive to another drive.

It should format and install all the information needed by itself.

Thanks for the reply. That sucks. I can't believe there is no way to take files off of a hard drive and put them onto another. I could see them only being played by the Directv box but, not even being able to transfer them?

I figured technology evolved a little the last couple of years??

Thanks again.

Dishnetworks boxes VIP's do transfer Content to EHD and you can play the stuff you recorded from the EHD dont know why direct is not doing it?

Your existing external drive may or may not work with the directv box, it can be picky.

If you turn off the directv box, unplug your esata and boot it back up, it'll be on the internal drive again and you can watch content. But series links you set up on the external drive cant and wont record. But if you have a couple of hours where nothing is expected to record, you can flip over to the internal drive and watch stuff until you've seen it all.

There is a process that can be used to copy the programming and settings from the internal drive to a compatible external. But it involves opening the unit and removing the internal drive, putting it in a pc along with your external drive, and using a linux boot disk and the XFS copy program to schlep everything over to the new drive. Obviously not for beginners, and directv's lease agreement says you're not supposed to 'tamper' with the receiver. However, the only financial penalty the agreement specifies is if you break the receiver and return it in a non-working state.

The copy process can also take many hours. I've done it once when I upgraded from a 750gb drive to a 1.5gb drive. You can also do this between an old external with directv content on it and a larger new one without removing them from the cases.

If anyone wants to see the procedure, its in a thread over on dbstalk. I can find it and link it if its not readily found. I'd search for 'copy disk xfs' over there, that should turn it up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)