How to use a 1 meter dish for spot beam

Ron25

Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
Sequim WA
My local channels are Seattle, but I have a vacation cabin 600 miles away. I take my receiver with me when I go, but can't get the locals of course. I have a 1 meter dish I used for FTA years ago and want to use it for locals which I believe are on 119W. Somebody must have done this before. Any suggestions.

I seriously doubt that the Seattle spot beam goes out as far as 600 miles. It doesn’t matter if the locals are on 119. If the spot beam doesn’t get there you don’t get the signal.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Yeah, like Bobby has already said. It is not going to work. You can't defy the laws of physics!
If I put a bright light on a tower at my house. Assuming you have line of sight you will see that light at your house six miles away.
If on the other hand, I put a spot light on that tower aiming down at my yard, it will light up my yard quite well. However, it will not light up your yard six miles away.

Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
If your trips to your cabin are long enough to make it worthwhile, call or chat with Dish CS and move your service address to the cabin. You'll get the locals for that market then. You'll want to change it back when you return home of course. The other options would be OTA or streaming the locals.

Spot beams go, at most, about 300 miles so you are still too far out even at 500 miles. The website you linked kind of shows that. Dark pink is good, the lighter you go, not so good. You didn't mention what receiver you are taking with you. Do you have internet at your cabin? Just looking at various options. NYDutch is on the right track.

Reactions: HipKat
I'm only at the cabin 1-2 weeks in the spring and again in the fall. No cell service, or internet. Yes I'm really in the sticks.

Let's put this in a proper perspective. The OP is right in thinking that a larger dish will help fringe reception of spot beamed channels. But the dish will need to be set up for all reception from 119W not just the spot beam. So you would also need a LNBF pointed at 110W and 129W to complete reception of your whole subscription. Easy enough to set up if your dish at the cabin uses an external switch. The larger dish for 119W would also need a LNBF compatible with your Dish setup. If you can grab a discarded 1.2m PrimeStar dish, that would be ideal if you were close enough to the beam. But as others have indicated you probably are just to far away.

Reactions: TheKrell
Seattle locals are on the 110 spotbeam 4 transponder 45...is your cabin located in the map?..I switched to Dish pay as you go account that way I can use the app and change locals to any in my spotbeam

Attachments

• 2264-04s45-06.gif
    2264-04s45-06.gif
    27.1 KB · Views: 199
I looked it up in my kmz files.

nice strong beam at your location. 50+ dbw
In fact, a standard antenna might do the job.

Unless they have dialed down the power.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)