How to use the Editor for the Openbox S9 HD receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phottoman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
OK, I have seen several people asking how to load their new Openbox receivers using the editor, so here is as simple a way as I can manage to help you.

Advanced users, would you please add to this so it will be easier for all people to use. I am only beginning at this and there is a LOT I don’t know (yet) but I am willing to learn.

First you’ll have to dump your *.asb file to a memory stick. I don’t think it matters what size stick you use. I am using one that is only 64M that I received with a CNX DUO several years ago. It’s small but does the job nicely.

Go to your menu on the Openbox, the fourth item down on the left side is a brief case, click on that.

On the right side you’ll see several options, the second from the bottom is “Dump by USB.”
If you don’t see this listed, you have an older file on your receiver and will have to find and load a newer file. I think from information I have seen, this was added sometime around May 2010.

Highlight and click “OK” to open.
At the top of the next screen you will see highlighted … DUMP MODE MISC FILES.

Click once to the right or left and you will see … DUMP MODE IMAGE FILES(*abs)
You want the image files highlighted here.

Click START
You will see two options, the HDS2_DUMP . ABS(image) file is the first, click the “OK” button on your remote. This will leave a blue check mark next to the file you want to dump. Now click the yellow button on your remote. The dump will go to your USB device, stick or hard drive.

Click “EXIT” once.
Drop down one item to “Remove USB Device Safely.”

After downloading is complete, click “Exit” on your remote twice, this will get you back to your TV programming on your receiver.
Remove USB Device and go to your computer.

Elbandido has been very helpful with giving us several different versions of the editor, I will try to add a copy of one of them at the end of this tutorial, but if I don’t have it there, do a search on any of several forums, including this one for “Openbox S9 Software” and you will have the editor. My intention here is not to give the software, but how to use it.
Before you get to far into this, the very first thing you may want to do it copy and save the file from your USB devise to a safe place on your computer. Once saved, feel confidant enough about yourself to go ahead with the following instructions.

Download and unzip the editor.
editor 1.jpg

Open the Editor.
editor 3.jpg

On the top row, under “File (F)” there is a small yellow folder, click on this to open the folder.
editor 4.jpg
Find the file you want to open. In my case I still had the file on the USB stick, so I opened the stick, and then changed the “Files of Type” to “Open Bin File (*.abs)”
editor 5.jpg

Highlight “HDS2 DUMP .abs” and click “Open.”
editor 6.jpg

This will open “Select Data Base.” Here we want to check the radio button for the second option “User Data Base.” Click OK.
editor 7.jpg

Now you will see the editor has added two items in the top left corner, “+ All Services” and “+ Favorite Groups.”
editor 8.jpg
Here you can open All Services (by clicking on it) OR click on just the “+” button to the left of “All Services.” To make things easier here (you can experiment later if you want), click on the “+” you will have a new “+ Satellite Information” and THIS is where we want to be.
editor 9.jpg
Click on the “+” in front of Satellite Information, this will open the entire list of satellites on your receiver.

Now lets stop here for just a moment. On this page, you can rename satellites, or rearrange them, delete unwanted satellites, start experimenting here and you may have a lot of fun.

The biggest problem seems to be wanting to add the CWs to the satellite list, so that’s where we are heading.
Find the 91W C Band Satellite. Left click on this satellite and go to “add information.”
editor 10.jpgeditor 11.jpg

In the box that opens, add the Frequency, Polarity and Symbol rate of the channel you want to add. For CW East that would be 3720, Horizontal, and 26700. and click OK.
editor 12.jpg
Go to the new transponder you just added to the list under your satellite and click on that. On my example I already had the CWs loaded so I created a new channel by changing the SR to 30000, rather than the correct 26700, did you catch that? Other than the SR, everything else here will now be the same.

Go to the large white field to the right of the list of satellites and left click anywhere. You will open a dialogue box, scroll down to “insert channel.” Fill in the information for pids and name the channel.
editor 14.jpg

editor 15.jpg
That’s it, you now have CW on your lineup.

Go to the “File(F)” at the top left corner and click, scroll down to “Export.”
editor 16.jpg
In the “Save As” box, scroll down to the “Open Bin File (*abs)” and click on the existing “HDS2 Dump .abs” listed. A box will open telling you that that file already exists, do you want to replace it. Click “Yes” and you are done editor 17.jpg

Extract the USB devise from your computer and take it to your receiver.

Put the USB devise into your receiver, go back to the screen where you dumped to the USB devise, and click on UPGRADE BY UBS.

Once you click on that you will open a screen that allows you to upgrade your *.abs file.

Now, Here is where I could use some help from the other experts.

Every time I have done this I have been extremely happy with the results, except for one thing. I have had to go back and reset the motor controls. I have tried dumping everything to the stick before adding transponders or anything, then when I go back I find that uploading the *.abs file changed something, I'm not sure what, but it is relativly easy to go through and change the motor settings.

Other than that small price, this is all you need for getting the CW's on your Openbox.

Photto

Last edited:
Oh Photto you're the man!!!!!!!!!! This is a STICKY. Ice, make sure this instructions are secure. They are clear enough that if you follow them there shouldn't be any problem to do it. I already PRINT them and they're going straight to my REFERENCES LOGBOOK. This is A+

Carlos, as a matter of fact, after seeing several postings by you for this information, that was why I decided to do this. I have been working on this since 6:00 AM this morning.

Before you print too much, go back and re-read everything, I have been making changes ALL DAY.

My fingers are tired, my wrist aches (because of the cast) and it has been a BEAR to get done with all the corrections I did.

Good luck.

Photto

(PS: and thank you elbandido for getting me started, it was YOU that posted the several versions of the editor that got me started on this. THANK YOU elbandido)

Phottoman,
I think the problem your having is your dumping the whole firmware
image. I select (Misc Files) then arrow down to (Select & Dump)
Select the TP_PROG.dbs file then hit yellow button to dump.
To be able to open this file in the editor you need to change
the extension from .dbs to .abs. After editing and saving,
change it back to .dbs
Use your same procedure to upgrade only again, use Misc Files
and arrow down to Select & Upgrade to select the file.
This only downloads - uploads the Satellite and Channels info.
It's quicker too. Hope this helps.

Hindu55 - Jim

Photto, Great job! Hopefully this can be posted as a sticky so it doesn't get buried and no one can find it a month from now.
I've had the editor for quite a while and it makes it easy to make changes...Blind

Modified Editor

Here is a copy of the channel editor that I modified to overcome the lowest symbol rate entry limit of 1000. In this version you can enter a symbol rate as low as 100. I have confirmed that this receiver will indeed tune symbol rates below 1000--you just have to be able to enter them.

Attachments

• PVR800-Editor.zip
    354 KB · Views: 1,112
Here is a copy of the channel editor that I modified to overcome the lowest symbol rate entry limit of 1000. In this version you can enter a symbol rate as low as 100. I have confirmed that this receiver will indeed tune symbol rates below 1000--you just have to be able to enter them.
Thanks Copykat, I'll try this next time I do any work on the SSO.

Photto

Phottoman,
I think the problem your having is your dumping the whole firmware
image. I select (Misc Files) then arrow down to (Select & Dump)
Select the TP_PROG.dbs file then hit yellow button to dump.
To be able to open this file in the editor you need to change
the extension from .dbs to .abs. After editing and saving,
change it back to .dbs
Use your same procedure to upgrade only again, use Misc Files
and arrow down to Select & Upgrade to select the file.
This only downloads - uploads the Satellite and Channels info.
It's quicker too. Hope this helps.

Hindu55 - Jim

Hey, thank you. As I said in my post, I am always willing to learn. And it seems you DID add something that I asked for, eh?

Photto

See, there ya go, I didn't have to do all that work after all (smile)

Photto

NO NO NO NO. Yours is most detailed!!! If you take the time to read this one you will see there are some details missed. At least in this one its cover how to do it using only the sats and channels settings only. Thanks for all your efforts!!

First, THANKS. Good Work, I was trying to figure this out a week ago and had a couple editors already installed. Yesterday, without reading this, I downloaded a dump file somewhere with the CW's in place on 91w (and 2 cspans on 85w?). Anyhoo, I thought I opened my dump (added the CW's, my way, hehe), hit save and upgraded my openbox, voila, I had the 3 CW's but had lost my Favorites and all channels scanned in except the 3 cw's and stuff on g16. Ouch! (at least I got to reorganize my Favorites as I rebuild it. ) NOTE when I rescanned 91w I lost one of the CW's (east) - it's Symbol rate changed.

My advice here is keep a backup of the original TP_PROG.dbs dump and work on the copy. If I had done this (and I'm a pro-backup advocate from way back), I could have just dumped the orig dump back in and not lost anything, nor have to rescan every sat.
I also went looking for a ready-built channel list for North America and there are some for EUROPE but not for NA. Wondering why? (wouldn't this be a generic type piece of info these boxes are capable of sharing?)
Too bad these channel lists (like the 3 CW's) can't be merged into a dump file landing in the correct sat transponder list.

Don't know what Im doing wrong but I have no sound on my CW's.TP_3720_H_26700. Service id 0/vid pid 101/ audio pid1 101/ audio pid2 102/ audio pid3 101/ pcr pid 102/ stereo / mpeg2(and so on with west and central). Vid is perfect (openbox s9)(PVR800-Editor).

It took me 2 days but now I found by hitting the AUDIO button on my remote and picking sound 2; I now have sound on CW : )

This mighty nice of you. I hope this comes in handy when needed.

Last edited:
Hi Copycat. I tried your modified PVR 800 editor and cannot get it to work. I can get another version to work, just not on adjusting the symbol rate below 1000 for my openbox s9.On your version the satellite list will not come up. I know this is a old post but I cannot find a editor that works. Or maybe I am not doing something right. Please help me if you you can. Thanks" subway248"

on some old firmware you had to transfer from stb to pc and save as .abs file(protocol 1.0)
Then select user database,the sats should show up then.
Alieditor is up to v2.3.0b and also includes the elusive template file.
In the pulldown file menu you have a choice to open script or load template.
If there is no script.ini,the program attempts to make one from the template.h file.
If you know how to program you can tweak the template file to match your receiver.
Search the net for comag alieditor 2.3.0b
Don't forget to edit the alieditor.ini,some were set by default chip type=m3329c which
has to be edited to match your processor.
Or try using the script.ini from a version that works with the alieditor you can use low sr with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.