Openbox s12,s16 signal-quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.

onlysamiam

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I am considering buying a new openbox s16. OK...I already read all the comments of it just being next number etc,etc. I would like to know if the signal and quality bars are easy to access. In particular can they be viewed while a picture is on the screen. This would be nice for antenna set-up. I have an old used coolsat 7000 and I have not figured out how to do the above. Besides the coolsat took a rather hugh dump and I can no longer receive signals on it. The antenna is fine as it works with my viewsat. Thanks for the replies, Sam

Reading other boards across the pond, I have heard mostly bad about the S16, it is a very unfinished box and they still don't have proper working firmware for even over there where they are made for. I would go with the GEOSATpro microHD. If though you have to have an Openbox go with the X3 or Skybox F3. Way better receiver than the S16. I think you would be happiest though with the microHD.

so for fun I checked out the "new" S16 on Fleabay and saw this in the description from a seller in Hong Kong (its in bright red)

Please do not Upgrade Software & Update Channel Database Through USB2.0 Port

Note: Don't upgrade the products for it may result in inoperation of the products.
We will not be responsible for the disfunction of the products caused by your upgrade

so if you try and upgrade the software you will probably brick it....hmmmm

oh wait...the S17 will be out tomorrow with that feature "fixed" :rolleyes:

Now you got me actually LOLing...that is too funny. (btw I usually hate the use of lol)

Yeah the only way I would have an s16 is if somebody gave me one, just so I could see how bad it is. I keep reading more myself about the S16 problems and people saying "don't buy one you will be sorry".

Ice you just made my day with that post...Its like buying a car and they tell you not to open the hood or it might stop working. :D:D:D

Ok, I get the point on the s16...Grenade! What other receiver or receivers would you recommend in the under $100.00 range with shipping? I have read a lot of the post on the MicroHD. Would love to given one a shot, however the problem is it is about $50 over my budget. I would have bought one when they were first released, but at that time I had just purchased a new system and had problems with a pice of (insert experlative here).Dynosat receiver nor having enough power to properly move my motor.

There are actually 2 different types of s16 floating around out there.
The more common says s3606q on the sys info screen and uses the upgrades off the net.
The oddball receiver says s3606d on the sys info screen and will get into a recycle loop if loaded with the common upgrades.
There was an upgrade back in june just for that processor.
The s16 firmware isn't encrypted,so would be ideal for playing with other brands of similar firmware.

Now you got me actually LOLing...that is too funny. (btw I usually hate the use of lol)

Yeah the only way I would have an s16 is if somebody gave me one, just so I could see how bad it is. I keep reading more myself about the S16 problems and people saying "don't buy one you will be sorry".

Ice you just made my day with that post...Its like buying a car and they tell you not to open the hood or it might stop working. :D:D:D

I did it just for fun (was looking for something else) and just wanted to see what "model" some were up to and what the prices were :)
I didnt expect to see that

Ok, I get the point on the s16...Grenade!
I didnt mean to spook you. I posted it more of a funny

What other receiver or receivers would you recommend in the under $100.00 range with shipping? I have read a lot of the post on the MicroHD. Would love to given one a shot, however the problem is it is about $50 over my budget. I would have bought one when they were first released, but at that time I had just purchased a new system and had problems with a pice of (insert experlative here).Dynosat receiver nor having enough power to properly move my motor.
you could always go with the older models of the Openbox like the S9, S10 or the Solomend (all pretty much same thing with different name on it)

Found several s10's

I found several openbox s10's on Ebay. The price with shipping is between $79-$83. they are US sellers.
Does anyone know of a better USA price? Also I am a little concerned with running a motor, I have a stab hh90.
I am connected with 50' of cable. In some of the post; power supply issues were of concern.
Thank you,
Sam

Ok, I looked at it. I am surprised that he said:(can't say a good thing about it.), that kind of scares me coming from a pub member. I realize that new market products always have some bugs-problems. Perhaps he expected perfection out of the first runs. How would I go about contacting him?

I sent him a PM too...no response

onlysamiam said:
After no response from (microHD for sale), I am leaning towards a new s10. Does the s10 support and have a good blind scan feature?

I would get a MicroHD. If not a MicroHD then either rs-1933 or dbs6000HD. Don't buy an illegal imported STB even if it's a US seller that's even worst if they get raided they got YOU.

If it was me I would wait to Sunday evening. That's a great price and If you order a s10 today it will not ship till monday.

While both of the receivers you suggest are seemingly good choices at approximately $140-$150 range; they are beyond what I have to expend. One of the reasons, at this time I am not buying a new microHD is COST. Another is they are a completely new desigh as I am sure they are a very good stb, I prefer to wait 6 months till I see how they are going then. Unless I miss my guess there will be more for sale used. Any time a product receives as much hype as these did here; people who purchase them are most likely to have a blind eye and see what they want to see. I realize some of the evaluations ere completely fair and unbiased, others will be tainted. So...I sit on my tail for six months and see how the waters look then. Perhaps I will have more coin then.

onlysamiam said:
While both of the receivers you suggest are seemingly good choices at approximately $140-$150 range; they are beyond what I have to expend. One of the reasons, at this time I am not buying a new microHD is COST. Another is they are a completely new desigh as I am sure they are a very good stb, I prefer to wait 6 months till I see how they are going then. Unless I miss my guess there will be more for sale used. Any time a product receives as much hype as these did here; people who purchase them are most likely to have a blind eye and see what they want to see. I realize some of the evaluations ere completely fair and unbiased, others will be tainted. So...I sit on my tail for six months and see how the waters look then. Perhaps I will have more coin then.

I have a few older DVBS STB in the basement your free to have one just pay shipping.

onlysamiam said:
After no response from (microHD for sale), I am leaning towards a new s10. Does the s10 support and have a good blind scan feature?

I picked up an S10 from Amazon because it was cheap ~$60 and because it does S2.

Blind scan is good, not very fast but I go put the kettle on if I'm scanning both polarities and wait. "quality not speed".

I was shocked at how small the S10 was but then my MicroHD turned up :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)