How to watch PyeongChang 2018 Olympics in 4K HDR

Why are so many people chasing hardware issues when it is quite clear this is Dish software blocking?
Even my 1080 tv wants to play the 4kHDR recording from H3 dvr but has a Dish software error-message block.

Yes, I think if it was hardware / HDCP issues those of us on non-HDR units wouldn't get any signal. You're getting picture on a 1080p, I'm getting picture on a 4k (non-hdr). The only thing stopping from watching is the alert which is done by software.

If this was a restriction due to HDCP issues of the newest version I'd expect we'd get something more like this
filestream.ashx

View attachment 131319
My 1080 tv connect to H3,
wants to show the dvr'd 4kHDR program,
Somehow down converted?
by either 1080tv or H3?
Shows program behind grey window and error message tile.
Error message forced by dish software on otherwise playable content.

It is quite possible that Hopper is capable of downconverting this channel to HD, but Dish has chosen not to allow that. I can see several possible reasons for that:

1. Licensing restrictions from NBC.
2. The downconversion is not working too well (e.g. wrong color space)
3. They want to avoid support calls from customers who would get the channel in HD, but not in 4K HDR as advertised.

Anyway, the purpose of this particular thread is to explain how to get the video in 4K HDR, not to speculate why things were implemented one way, not the other. We have other threads discussing that already. Let’s not derail this one.

I use the swap all the time watching 2 things at once in my main location. No pip on the Joey , no awap. .
Be easier to bring the tv to the hopper 3, but that would involve steps, and beer, and possibly a trip to Best buy for a replacement tv. :)
Lol

Say, didn't see the latest blue planet on 540 this time around, for at least the first few episodes. Am I missing it?
Thanks!!

Depending on how your house is wired, it might be possible in certain cases to swap the Hopper and the 4K Joey.
That’s what I did. Had to sacrifice one of the bedrooms though.
Don’t do that unless you have a really good understanding of how the Hopper MoCA wiring works!

If I wanted to swap one of my 4K-Joey's with the H3, isn't it just a simple unhook the cables and swap, then reattach the cables?

If I wanted to swap one of my 4K-Joey's with the H3, isn't it just a simple unhook the cables and swap, then reattach the cables?
It depends on your wiring. In my case it wasn't that simple: I had to deal with taps, splitters and also the OTA antenna cable.

If you mean can you just unhook one box and carry it into the other room and hook it up the answer is no. Joey's use client lines and Hopper's use host lines and they are very different.

If you mean can you just unhook one box and carry it into the other room and hook it up the answer is no. Joey's use client lines and Hopper's use host lines and they are very different.
Actually, you can do exactly that, but you also need to find the node and swap the two cables at that end also, so that the Hopper is connected to the host port and the Joey is on a client port. (If your setup is more complicated than a single node with Hopper and Joey connected to it, your mileage may vary)

Reactions: LQQK and pattykay
Actually, you can do exactly that, but you also need to find the node and swap the two cables at that end also, so that the Hopper is connected to the host port and the Joey is on a client port. (If your setup is more complicated than a single node with Hopper and Joey connected to it, your mileage may vary)

I checked the splitter Dish used. I'll be OK if I need or decide to swap box locations...Thanks.

Obviously he'd also have to change the wiring. That's why I specified that client lines and host lines are different.

Hopper 3's don't use nodes they use hubs and/or taps.

Hybrid Hub, that's it. I forgot the technical name for "the little box all the wires go to between the Hybrid LNBF and the Hopper 3"

Regardless what it is called, it should be RG6 coax from the hub host port to the hopper, and RG6 coax from the hub client port to the Joey; swap those when you swap the boxes.

On the splitter, there is an input (Dish feed) one Host and two client outputs.

Will I have a problem just swapping the H3 (Host Feed) to a client feed if I swap box location...Sure seems like I wouldn't have a problem unless the splitter has some electronic thingamajig instead of just pass thru?

On the splitter, there is an input (Dish feed) one Host and two client outputs.

Will I have a problem just swapping the H3 (Host Feed) to a client feed if I swap box location...Sure seems like I wouldn't have a problem unless the splitter has some electronic thingamajig instead of just pass thru?

How many Joey's do you have?

H3 & 2 4KJ's.

The Hopper 3 needs a single RG6 rated at 3Ghz directly from the host port on the hub to the receiver.

If all of your lines are 3Ghz RG6 and go directly from the TV locations to the hub then all you'd have to do is isolate which line is from the 4K Joey that you want to move and swap it and the Hopper line at the hub. If your lines aren't up to specs or if you have splitters in the line(s) then it gets more complicated.

*lines=wires or cables :)

The Hopper 3 needs a single RG6 rated at 3Ghz directly from the host port on the hub to the receiver.

If all of your lines are 3Ghz RG6 and go directly from the TV locations to the hub then all you'd have to do is isolate which line is from the 4K Joey that you want to move and swap it and the Hopper line at the hub. If your lines aren't up to specs or if you have splitters in the line(s) then it gets more complicated.

If I get the urge tomorrow I'll swap just to see what is what!

*lines=wires or cables :)
That's exactly what I was trying to say.

I did the exact thing at my Dad's house, the original installer put the Hopper 3 in the spare room for some reason, and a Joey at the primary TV where he is 95% of the time, he was complaining how slow the Joey was so thankfully this is all I had to do to swap them; of course I knew it was all new 3GHz RG6 cable, and where each one went and that there were no splitters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts