How would I fix a 36" Ku satllite dish? Warped

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah show us a pic...all depends on your definition of warped....but like Iceberg said usually when its warped its gone.

If it looks like a taco, your pretty much done. If its warped just a little, might be able to bend it a little.

I have a 36" warped Ku satellite dish.
How would I go about fix it?

Thanks
There was a post by a member, upnatm, he used small mirrors glued to magnetic card, and checked the dish focus using Sun light. Others suggest using two strings or threads, slightly tensioned over the dish edges : one vertical, the other horizontal. They should just touch in the centre. Eyeballing from the dish edge is not exact enough.

Some dishes ship slightly warped, and you can "pop" them back into shape by holding the dish by the edges and applying pressure in the opposite direction of the warp until you hear a "POP" and the dish is returned to its proper shape. I've had to do this with Azure Shine-manufactured dishes on a couple of occasions. The good news is that the metal is solid, and will return to its original shape without any ill effects. Not sure if this will work with some of the cheaper dishes, and it certainly won't work with a creased or badly warped dish...

Place the Dish on a flat surface (or eyeball it) and if it looks like a Pringle Potato Chip, grab the Rim with 2 hands where it does not touch the surface so the Dish Face is up (so it holds water), and gently (gently) bounce the Dish once or twice. Recheck, repeat if necessary.

Hi, you might want to try placing it on a hard flat surface and then use old magazines to space up the high spots a little so you can push down on the dish to straighten it. Double check with the two string test and with a little elbow grease you just might be able to make it work again. If the rim is bent you might be able to pound it out with a mallet. Later, DC

Pics you wanted

Attachments

• P1110281.JPG
    P1110281.JPG
    293.9 KB · Views: 293
  • P1110278.JPG
    P1110278.JPG
    267 KB · Views: 307
Remove bracket, so you deal with the bowl only. Put a few books on a big table and small pillow or piece of sponge on the books. Get 2 pieces of styrofoam 2" x 4" x 8" each or similar size. Put the dish centre on the pillow. If the edges touch the table, add books so the lowest edges are about 1" above the table. Press the higher edges through the styrofoam ( the sides 2" x 8" sit on edges ). Perhaps you would need another person to help you. Cheers, polgyver

I would hold the rim like you were holding a steering wheel at 9 and 3 o'clock on the unwarped sides.Now take the dish and hold it to your chest and thrust it away from you and jerk it back quickly. Then check it on a flat surface or use the string method until it is perfect.I have done this several times and had great success.

Had a strong windstorm once. Both my Birdview solid and my one meter Winegard had no signal. The wind had twisted the BV mount on the pole. I don't tighten down too hard on it because I couldn't get the footing deep. I marked it and after the wind moved it, I lined it back up with the marks. That worked
fine.

The Winegard had gotten warped though. Not bent up. If you looked at it edgewise, before the windstorm,the edge lined up. Afterward, it was bent some. I was able to grab it from the back of the dish and pull it flat again. To strengthen it, I rigged it up with two skinny threaded rods from the back of the dish to the edges on each side. It works fine now, but I won't know if the threaded rods hold it in the wind until I get a storm like the one we had before.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts