How's it work: satellite,transponder,switch ?!?

hab

Original poster
Oct 21, 2004
I have had satellite TV for two years but never really paid attention to how it really worked. I installed the dish, pointed it in the right general direction and all was well. I recently moved and am now trying to re-install my system, but I am having trouble locking in.
I am hoping that someone could explain or point me to a URL that explains in general terms how the system works, so I can understand the impacts of satellite number, transponder and switch, and what each of these systems do.

In case it matters, the specifics of my system, are as follows:
- subscribed to BEV
- using 21" round dish with twin LNB, but using only one receiver. Dish is capable of being mounted with a second twin LNB, but currently blank.
- used to be in NW South Carolina and it worked great.
- now NW of Atlanta GA and having trouble. Satellite 91 and 82 seemed to be 20 degrees apart! How can I get both on one dish?

Thanks. :confused:

Hab

hab said:
- using 21" round dish with twin LNB, but using only one receiver. Dish is capable of being mounted with a second twin LNB, but currently blank.
Are you using a dual or twin??
The terminology gets mixed up alot.

dual = connects to one side of Y connector (BEV ships with a dual)
twin = connects to both sides of Y connector (2 LNB's combined w/ built-in switch)

If you're using a dual, you'll only get one sattelite (91 or 82), which would explain your problem.
To get both, use 2 dual's & a switch, or a twin (or quad)

Derwin,
I am using a dual LNB, so I guess that may explain it. But it seems to me I previously had both satellites with my dual, although I can't say for sure.
Also, won't I be missing channels if I only get one satellite? Which satellite would be better: 91 or 82?

hab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)