HP buys Palm

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
If there is one thing you can't take away from Apple execs - they are business savvy people.

If profit margins are higher in iPhone than Mac - why invest in Mac? Regardless of the margins relative to Dell...
They even dropped "Computer" from its name.

It most likely will be left as-is and will slowly move to the status of AppleTV.
Unless a new angle is found to rejuvenate the platform.

Diogen.

You invest in the Mac because the iPhone/iPad/iPod market depends on the Apple ecosystem to survive. And that ecosystem just happens to work better on a Mac and on a Windows box.

And they can rejuvenate after someone figures out how to do Windows right, which in spite of W7, doesn't look too promising.

Top quality computers with a rock solid OS makes a compelling case for a thriving market, and that is exactly what Apple has right now.

"Top quality", "rock solid" are not business terms.
"How much does it make?" is.

Diogen.

Don't generally hear much about Mac computers in the first half of the year. Look for new stuff to be announced after the iphone is released in June. That seems to be their schedule of new stuff.
Lloyd is correct though, that in the past couple years the big desktops have become much less popular. People into the Apple way have embraced the laptop and that is why you see more of the Macbooks. Compare the number of Macbooks ( laptops) today on TV shows, in the movies, at business conferences, at airports and other busy places, while before, it was a rare sight. My last flight, I was the odd one with a Dell. Everyone around me were using Macs, working on spreadsheets, presentations, and word processing.

Apple has announced that they will be generating more consumer high tech stuff in the future, ref Steve Jobs, with if you were amazed by the iphone, ipad, wait until you see what we have planned for release next... The speculators think it will be an all inclusive home media system, an offshoot of the Apple TV concept that has yet to really take hold. That will tie into the iPad and iphone support system.

While HP, Dell, Microsoft are busy addressing the "computer" markets, Apple is making a paradigm shift of integration of technology into everyday use, not just by young tech savvy kids but also by those who never felt friendly toward a computer box, keyboard, and mouse.

I'm thinking it might be too late. With all the iPhones out there and Android picking up a lot of steam now, it sure seems like Palm's OS seems to be in a heap of trouble.

"Top quality", "rock solid" are not business terms.
"How much does it make?" is.

Diogen.

True, those things are not business terms. But then look at Apple's financials. They are making more money on PCs than any other producer per unit and selling a hell of a lot of units.

Just because one part of Apple might make more doesn't mean they would cut off a very profitable part of the product line. That would be a dumb move, imo.

The answer for 'how much does it make?' in Apple's case, all of their product lines are making buttloads of money with maybe the exception of the AppleTV.

Don, not just those that have embraced the 'Apple way' are buying laptops. All the major mfgs are reporting selling more laptops/netbooks than desktops and the trend is for that to increase.

And I agree that Apple is targetting the non-tech market, and doing a better job of it than anyone else, right now at least. Love 'em or hate 'em, Apple is hitting on all business cylinders these days.

May I request a new section under the name of "<Apple product> is great!" to be created?
Where Apple product can be Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad and whatever else gets released...

It is getting really tiring to read this peeing-in-its-pants-of-exitement fanboy posts regardless of the thread topic...

Diogen.

May I request a new section under the name of "<Apple product> is great!" to be created?
Where Apple product can be Mac, iPhone, iPod, iPad and whatever else gets released...

It is getting really tiring to read this peeing-in-its-pants-of-exitement fanboy posts regardless of the thread topic...

Diogen.

I listen to my closest friend rant and rant about how great Apphole is, and it drives me totally nutz. I hear "It just works" over and over. But I think Jon Stewart got it right last night.

That's all I have to say, I am going to go root my Droid. :D

With HP buying Palm, one question sits at the back of my mind. HP and Compaq both had PDAs in the past, and both of them were pretty good. I had an ipaq and loved it. But HP dropped them somewhere along the line. I wonder what the Palm acquisition brings to them that they didn't already have with the previous PDAs? Or why they didn't keep improving them?

lloyd- all the articles I have seen say it is the latest OS. Not the hardware. OS is HP's weakness.

PS I had the 6315 and loved it back then. My first PDA!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)