HR-10 receiver defective

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amixam

Original poster
Jun 29, 2006
I have an HR-10 (HD DVR) that I received for free last year after calling customer retention. This receiver now keeps freezing up on me, forcing me to unplug and reboot the machine.

My question is, if I call them about this will they send me another HR-10, or will they replace it with the newer HR-20? Do you think they'll charge me for the HR-20?

As I understand it, I'll need the HR-20 to receive the new HD channels coming this fall. But when I spoke to Directv a few months ago, they told me that the HR-10 would receive these new HD channels. Were they BS'ing me?

Also wanted to ask if someone has the number to their customer retention department. I lost it.

Last edited:
They will probable send the HR-20. Can you get it for free? Don't know. Since you goe the HR-10 for free your chances are less. All new HD channels (Locals) and National launching this fall are Mpeg4 so you will need the new receiver if you want to watch them

They will probable send the HR-20. Can you get it for free? Don't know. Since you goe the HR-10 for free your chances are less.

Even though my current HR-10 is defective, they are going to charge me to replace it??????? Since the receiver is technically leased, shouldn't they switch it for free?

Also, since the new HD channels will require the HR-20, are people going to have to pay for it since the other receivers won't receive these channels?

Before you get too angry or excited, call Directv first, explain the dying machine and ask for a replacement (99% change it will be HR20). The likelihood that you will have to pay for a defective unit replacement is slim to none.

My Hr10-250 died last week. It was owned and I had the protection plan. They replaced it with an HR20. It was also a huge fight with them getting the HR20 listed as owned on my account instead of leased. Since according to their own policy owned receivers get replaced with owned receivers.

My Hr10-250 died last week. It was owned and I had the protection plan. They replaced it with an HR20. It was also a huge fight with them getting the HR20 listed as owned on my account instead of leased. Since according to their own policy owned receivers get replaced with owned receivers.

His is lease so this should be a no-brainer lease replacement. The only thing to watch out for is the extension of the lease contract which they will do 2 years from acquiring the HR20.

I just got off the phone with them. After checking my signal strength, the CSR offered to get someone out here to check the dish. I inquired about the new HD's needing the HR-20 and she offered me the a regular HD receiver (no DVR) for free, or the new HR-20 for $199. I told her I thought that was unfair and asked to speak to customer retention. She asked me to hold and came back offering the HR-20 with the 5 LNB dish for free ($19 S&H).

Also, it didn't require a 2 year extention!

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with them. After checking my signal strength, the CSR offered to get someone out here to check the dish. I inquired about the new HD's needing the HR-20 and she offered me the a regular HD receiver (no DVR) for free, or the new HR-20 for $199. I told her I thought that was unfair and asked to speak to customer retention. She asked me to hold and came back offering the HR-20 with the 5 LNB dish for free ($19 S&H).

Also, it didn't require a 2 year extention!

Good deal. Amazing how the tune changes when you mention retention.

Even though my current HR-10 is defective, they are going to charge me to replace it??????? Since the receiver is technically leased, shouldn't they switch it for free?

please clarify for me......is your hr10 leased, then they should replace it for free! if you own it, they should work with you to lessen your expense.

please clarify for me......is your hr10 leased, then they should replace it for free! if you own it, they should work with you to lessen your expense.

My HR-10 is leased. My thought was that they should replace it with another HR-10 (which they aren't doing anymore, according to the CSR) or upgrade to the HR-20 free of cost. At first she wouldn't budge on the $199, but after going back and forth for a while and after I asked to speak to someone in customer retention, I was offered the HR-20 for free.

I'm happy with the outcome. However, the process was not right in that she wanted to charge me the $199 initially. They should have offered it for free right off the bat since that original HR-10 is leased.

My thought is that if someone in my situation called for the same thing but was not as persistant, they would have had to pay the $199. That's just not right, all things considered.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)