hr-20/700---so far so good...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

theslag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
I just got the Hr-20 yesterday, and so far so good. Half hour after the install installed the latest and greatest software. Its been running fine for the first day, Im glad that I could get rid of the extra box on top of my tv. I have been running a SD tivo and a h-20 for HD. It was change from the Tivo, but the only thing i dont like is not able to swap tuners, but thats just small in my book. I cant wait to try to hook up to my network to get my pictures and mp3, do you think they will support video off the PC??

They have come along way, but still have a ways to go. This box may miss recordings or need reboots (or just booted :) ) but it will get there, slowly but surely!

Just connected/activated my HR20 today... I had to leave for work so I can't really say anything except that it worked OK this morning.

Can anyone tell me if the ports on the back, specifically the SATA and Ethernet ports, are enabled? And if so, what can they be used for? (One would assume the SATA port is for an external HD, and the Ethernet port for networking (duh) but had read beofre that they were disabled.)

Just connected/activated my HR20 today... I had to leave for work so I can't really say anything except that it worked OK this morning.

Can anyone tell me if the ports on the back, specifically the SATA and Ethernet ports, are enabled? And if so, what can they be used for? (One would assume the SATA port is for an external HD, and the Ethernet port for networking (duh) but had read beofre that they were disabled.)

They are both active if you have one of the latest software versions which I am going to assume you should get on install. 12a is the latest but not sure if it was national released. The Ethernet is for future Video on Demand and other things. It also hooks to your router and Viiv PC so you can view pictures and music. Its alot to explain here but DBSTalk has some extensive information on how to hook to a pc. I have a Vista Media Center on an AMD chip and it works so it does not necessarily have to be Viiv.

http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115

You can hook up a ESATA Raid drive device or ESATA drive to the port. It will not ADD capacity to your unit. It will actually become THE drive for the unit. Again more info at DBSTalk but it essentially bypasses the internal hard drive. So folks are creating RAID configurations of 1 TB or 1000 GB of storage. Really cool if record that much.

Thanks for the info and links. Will peruse them at length. Will connect it to the network as soon as I get home.

Reading the networking doc, I came across a part that implied this could be used as your DVR's manner of connecting with D*... is this already enabled?

Could I not use the phone connection this way? I have Vonage and half of my receivers can't complete the call in.

I'm a (very) late adopter to the DVR world, this is my first, so I never got used to Tivo ar UTV, and so far I like what it does, and the fact that they built so many future-forward features into it.

The HR20 does not need to be connected to the phone line. It gets its updates via the sat. But you should be able to hook the phone line on the back to Vonage. I have Vonage and no issues. As for the D* internet use, its coming and not active yet but I see that feature coming to willing beta users real soon. Stay tuned for updates. There could be some surprises but we should see movie and show PPV via internet. See Showcases tab next to My Playlist. Not active but coming.

Very cool. I can't wait til the new features start coming online.

Neither my H10 nor H20 have ever had success connecting through Vonage. I took a look at my call records a couple days ago and there were hundreds of attempts made but no successful connections.
I'll connect the HR20 tonight to see if it can complete the call home.

I got the same HR20 connected to 3 different Monitors through an Octava 3x2 cross switch and an HDMI splitter. 2 of the monitors are HDMI to DVI and one is HDMI all the way. No issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)