HR-20 replacement cost?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ansdofuno

Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
SF
Hi,

If I "lose" or "completely destroy" my HR20 receiver, how much would DirecTV charge me?

I'm actually just shipping it cross-country and I just want to know how much I should insure it for.

Thanks!

Thanks.

That's good to know. I've already put in a bigger hard drive once already. :eek:

If it ever dies completely I'm only gonna be charged $250 for refusing to return it, maybe even less by the time it dies someday. It's still going stong right now.

Thanks.

That's good to know. I've already put in a bigger hard drive once already. :eek:

If it ever dies completely I'm only gonna be charged $250 for refusing to return it, maybe even less by the time it dies someday. It's still going stong right now.

Ever think of going external, that way your not voiding your contract by doing it ?

Ever think of going external, that way your not voiding your contract by doing it ?

I'm 100% sure you won't void the contract. Void a warranty and take a charge on return of the reciever maybe, but I'm sure DirecTV will still enforce the contract ;)

I'm 100% sure you won't void the contract. Void a warranty and take a charge on return of the reciever maybe, but I'm sure DirecTV will still enforce the contract ;)

You mean you can open up the recvr and place a larger HD in it without voiding your warranty ?
My HR24 has a sticker on itthat says Warranty voided if broken or removed.

Many of the directv receivers dont have any stickers on them. Mine dont. Some also had security torx screws, although that was sort of dumb because you can buy a set of torx security bits at sears for $5.

Directv specifies something about not 'tampering' with the box. I guess by definition, opening it and replacing the drive is 'tampering', but I think they're more concerned with anything that creates a theft of signal/service opportunity.

The only fee schedule they've published include the fee for not returning the box or returning it in a non-operating state. Do also note that they cleverly terminate the protection plan prior to your shipping the box back to them, so you cant say you have the PP if they receive a non working box and try to charge you for it.

Perhaps stuff like that is why they have the poor BBB rating and dropping customer service ranking.

So all they could do is if they detected that you had 'tampered' with the box, they could file a civil suit on you for non performance of the contract. They'd have to prove the 'tampering', establish a basis for damages as a result of your tampering, etc, etc. In short: not worth it.

All that having been said, the receiver logs at boot time record the manufacturer, model and serial number of every drive in the box and where its attached (internal or external), and those logs are sent up to the directv mother ship periodically. So they could easily filter those logs for any disk drive models/sizes that are mounted internally and not ones they installed.

The HR24 looks particularly problematic since internal pictures of the box seem to show that the disk drive is encased in some sort of black plastic box, and has a number of wires attached to that box. My guess from looking at it is that you might not have much of a chance of removing that disk and replacing it with another without leaving some evidence.

They also may have made a point of putting a 'warranty void' sticker on every HR24 while they havent been so consistent in the past. And it may be that they're using the newer type of security sticker that leaves a permanent mark on the box saying 'removed' or 'voided' when the sticker is peeled off.

My guess is if you put a disk in there, dont break anything, replace the original drive and the unit shows no signs of physical damage and works properly when directv gets it back, you wouldnt have much of an issue.

Many of the directv receivers dont have any stickers on them. Mine dont. Some also had security torx screws, although that was sort of dumb because you can buy a set of torx security bits at sears for $5.

Directv specifies something about not 'tampering' with the box. I guess by definition, opening it and replacing the drive is 'tampering', but I think they're more concerned with anything that creates a theft of signal/service opportunity.

The only fee schedule they've published include the fee for not returning the box or returning it in a non-operating state. Do also note that they cleverly terminate the protection plan prior to your shipping the box back to them, so you cant say you have the PP if they receive a non working box and try to charge you for it.

Perhaps stuff like that is why they have the poor BBB rating and dropping customer service ranking.

So all they could do is if they detected that you had 'tampered' with the box, they could file a civil suit on you for non performance of the contract. They'd have to prove the 'tampering', establish a basis for damages as a result of your tampering, etc, etc. In short: not worth it.

All that having been said, the receiver logs at boot time record the manufacturer, model and serial number of every drive in the box and where its attached (internal or external), and those logs are sent up to the directv mother ship periodically. So they could easily filter those logs for any disk drive models/sizes that are mounted internally and not ones they installed.

The HR24 looks particularly problematic since internal pictures of the box seem to show that the disk drive is encased in some sort of black plastic box, and has a number of wires attached to that box. My guess from looking at it is that you might not have much of a chance of removing that disk and replacing it with another without leaving some evidence.

They also may have made a point of putting a 'warranty void' sticker on every HR24 while they havent been so consistent in the past. And it may be that they're using the newer type of security sticker that leaves a permanent mark on the box saying 'removed' or 'voided' when the sticker is peeled off.

My guess is if you put a disk in there, dont break anything, replace the original drive and the unit shows no signs of physical damage and works properly when directv gets it back, you wouldnt have much of an issue.

All that said, I can add an EHD in a matter of seconds and sit it behind the TV and be done with it !!!!

However, I understand what your saying there. :)

I deactivated my HR20-700 a few weeks ago and the CSR said that the account showed it as "owned" and I didn't need to return it. That was a complete surprise to me and I wonder if after they reach a certain age (I have had it for a little over 3 years) Directv figures they aren't worth getting back.

I deactivated my HR20-700 a few weeks ago and the CSR said that the account showed it as "owned" and I didn't need to return it. That was a complete surprise to me and I wonder if after they reach a certain age (I have had it for a little over 3 years) Directv figures they aren't worth getting back.

I think she was mistaken, they have not told me anything like that.
Now I've been using HR20-700's since '06, thats not saying I'm using the same ones as I have had a few replaced, so that might have something to do with it.

All that said, I can add an EHD in a matter of seconds and sit it behind the TV and be done with it !!!!

However, I understand what your saying there. :)

I went that route and paid an extra $25 a year in electricity on top of having spent over $100 on external chassis and cables, had an extra box sitting on top of the tv, had problems related to external drives and esata cables, needed to have a ups to make sure that if there was a power outage that the drive didnt lose power so it'd be running if the dvr rebooted from a power failure, yada yada yada.

Colossal waste of time and money when the alternative solution requires two different torx drivers and about 7 minutes of time and has no major downside.

It was pretty easy for me. Remove the original hard drive, put in a larger one, close up the box, turn it on, everything works fine. No external drive to fit into TV setup area, no external power to plug in.

You mean you can open up the recvr and place a larger HD in it without voiding your warranty ?
My HR24 has a sticker on itthat says Warranty voided if broken or removed.

I was being funny. The post I replied to said "void the contract". :)

I was clarifing that I'm sure opening your box won't void your contract, they absolutely can still charge you the ETF / non-return fees.

Void the warranty, or create additional charges upon equipment return, that is more what the label is after.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts