HR 20 Update confusion

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rdyoung

Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Orlando, Florida
I just received the new HR20 update Ox10b on 12/19/2006 for the OTA signal. I went throiugh the setup and have all of my channels on the guide, however, when I click on the channel, I get the Searching for signal 771 prompt. When I run a test of the system it list OTA tuner 1 & 2 with 0% signal. I've had 2 Dtv tech out to the house tell me the HR20 can't accept OTA signals yet. Anyone else having this problem? I was receiving my OTA signal just fine with my Hughes E8 prior to the HR20.

Any insight would be appreciated.

I just received the new HR20 update Ox10b on 12/19/2006 for the OTA signal. I went throiugh the setup and have all of my channels on the guide, however, when I click on the channel, I get the Searching for signal 771 prompt. When I run a test of the system it list OTA tuner 1 & 2 with 0% signal. I've had 2 Dtv tech out to the house tell me the HR20 can't accept OTA signals yet. Anyone else having this problem? I was receiving my OTA signal just fine with my Hughes E8 prior to the HR20.

Heres a stupid question, but, did you connect your OTA cable to the OTA input on the HR20 ?
My installers did not, that could be why your OTA has no signal since your swap.
Also, YES the OTA tuner now works, my installer expected my OTA to work right out of the box 3 months ago, till I told them that they were not active yet.

Jimbo

Isn't a 771 message for satellite channels? Are you sure you are on the ota channel and not the D* channel?

Isn't a 771 message for satellite channels? Are you sure you are on the ota channel and not the D* channel?

raoul5788,
771 is for anytime your not getting a signal.

When I turn my receiver to a local channel, actually a different city that I do receive, (I would receive it once I turn my antenna) until I turn my antenna, I will get the
Seaching for signalon the off air tuner ....(771)

Jimbo

raoul5788,
771 is for anytime your not getting a signal.

When I turn my receiver to a local channel, actually a different city that I do receive, (I would receive it once I turn my antenna) until I turn my antenna, I will get the
Seaching for signalon the off air tuner ....(771)

Jimbo

Thanks for the clarification.

Jimbo,

I did connect the OTA cable to the OTA port on the HR20. I must have some other error in my connections. I just found it odd that 2 DTV tech that came out both stated that the aforementioned update didn't enable the OTA feature on the HR20. I will continue to try and figure out the right connections to get a OTA signal. I know its there.

Thanks

Jimbo,

I did connect the OTA cable to the OTA port on the HR20. I must have some other error in my connections. I just found it odd that 2 DTV tech that came out both stated that the aforementioned update didn't enable the OTA feature on the HR20. I will continue to try and figure out the right connections to get a OTA signal. I know its there.

Thanks

Are you using a rotor on the antenna ?
You do realize that the digital channel s you now trying to pick up are quite a bit more sensative to pick up than analog,
You have to be pointed directly at the towers, it's not quite as bad now as when we first started , due to the stations power has been boosted, in the early days most stations were only running at about 1/4 power.

IF you have your OTA signal split so you can use an HD tuner from your TV (if your TV has one) give that a try first.
Get your analog signal as strong as you can using the TV (D* receiver doesn't have a analog tuner anymore.) then move to the .1 channel and rotate the antenna slowly and see if you can then get them in.
Also, another dumb Q. but, you did run thru the OTA set up, I'm pretty sure you did that already.
Remember the OTA tuners were just activated less than a week ago, so unless you JUST now got the receiver, it's possible that the installer was not made aware of them working now, although you would think they would be made aware of it, seeing it's a big deal to most.

Jimbo

Jimbo,

I think I just found my answer. Unfortuneately, it's not a good answer for me. I just read a prior post about MPEG 4 and 5 Lnb dish and use of diplexors. According to that post about a year ago, I may not be getting the OTA signal because you can't diplex the OTA signal using the At-9 dish. I will have to get the signal directly from the antenna to the HR 20. I don't how the know how to do that, but it would appear that I will have to run another cable into each room I want the OTA signal in.

Does this seem right. If it is, will DTV run the cable for me and at what cost?

Jimbo,

I think I just found my answer. Unfortuneately, it's not a good answer for me. I just read a prior post about MPEG 4 and 5 Lnb dish and use of diplexors. According to that post about a year ago, I may not be getting the OTA signal because you can't diplex the OTA signal using the At-9 dish. I will have to get the signal directly from the antenna to the HR 20. I don't how the know how to do that, but it would appear that I will have to run another cable into each room I want the OTA signal in.

You will need to ask D* about that.

IF you are not using any channels from the MPEG4 stuff, 99* and 103 , right now, then the MPEG4 is not your problem.
However you figured out something you will need to take care of anyways.
YES Diplexing with the new 5 LNB is a no no, because of different frequencies the KA side uses conflicts with the OTA signals.

Jimbo

You will need to ask D* about that.

IF you are not using any channels from the MPEG4 stuff, 99* and 103 , right now, then the MPEG4 is not your problem.
However you figured out something you will need to take care of anyways.
YES Diplexing with the new 5 LNB is a no no, because of different frequencies the KA side uses conflicts with the OTA signals.

Jimbo

I am successfully diplexing with the 5 LNB dish with no problems. Now that the HR-20 has been updated, I'm getting the OTA channels just as I did with my old Sony HD receiver. The installers never said anything about any problems using the diplexers. I'm in the LA market so I think I'm getting MPEG-4 stuff with no problems.

Jimbo,

Right now diplexing will work the way you have always done it, so using diplexers should not ahave any impact on your OTA. But in 2007 when the new satellites DirecTV 10 and 11 launch they will generate signals which from your dish will be in the Ka-lo band and overlap OTA, so your current diplexing
won't work. Running an additional OTA cable to each room is the best solution, but there are others - relocating the b-band converters to the output from your multiswitch and then using diplexing after the b-band converter is one way...

As far as your current problem is concerned, what is your zip code and what type of antenna are you using??

Right now diplexing will work the way you have always done it, so using diplexers should not ahave any impact on your OTA. But in 2007 when the new satellites DirecTV 10 and 11 launch they will generate signals which from your dish will be in the Ka-lo band and overlap OTA, so your current diplexing
won't work. Running an additional OTA cable to each room is the best solution, but there are others - relocating the b-band converters to the output from your multiswitch and then using diplexing after the b-band converter is one way...

As far as your current problem is concerned, what is your zip code and what type of antenna are you using??

Tex,
Thanks for re-typing my post, maybe he didn't understand what I was trying to say, you said it differently with the same results.

Jimbo

Tex,
Thanks for re-typing my post, maybe he didn't understand what I was trying to say, you said it differently with the same results.

Jimbo

There's a lot of confusion about this. people post that they are using diplexing with 5-lnb and MPEG-4 and it works fine so what is supposed to be the problem? Anyone who uses diplexing will find that it works today, even with the 5-lnb dish and sats 99 and 103.
As per from brucehvn QUOTE:I am successfully diplexing with the 5 LNB dish with no problems. Now that the HR-20 has been updated, I'm getting the OTA channels just as I did with my old Sony HD receiver. The installers never said anything about any problems using the diplexers. I'm in the LA market so I think I'm getting MPEG-4 stuff with no problems.UNQUOTE

The problem will only occur when the new DirecTV 10 and 11 satellites launch in mid to late 2007. These satellites which will also be in the 99 and 103 slots will broadcast a signal which when converted by the LNBs in the dish will be in a frequency band which overlaps OTA. Current diplexing schemes will therefore fail - you will not be able to see the new satellites, and most of your OTA signals will be screwed up.

There's a lot of confusion about this. people post that they are using diplexing with 5-lnb and MPEG-4 and it works fine so what is supposed to be the problem? Anyone who uses diplexing will find that it works today, even with the 5-lnb dish and sats 99 and 103.
As per from brucehvn QUOTE:I am successfully diplexing with the 5 LNB dish with no problems. Now that the HR-20 has been updated, I'm getting the OTA channels just as I did with my old Sony HD receiver. The installers never said anything about any problems using the diplexers. I'm in the LA market so I think I'm getting MPEG-4 stuff with no problems.UNQUOTE

The problem will only occur when the new DirecTV 10 and 11 satellites launch in mid to late 2007. These satellites which will also be in the 99 and 103 slots will broadcast a signal which when converted by the LNBs in the dish will be in a frequency band which overlaps OTA. Current diplexing schemes will therefore fail - you will not be able to see the new satellites, and most of your OTA signals will be screwed up.

But not till the new sats are up and running, so someone could potenually use this set up for another 6 month before they may have any trouble.

jimbo

But not till the new sats are up and running, so someone could potenually use this set up for another 6 month before they may have any trouble.

jimbo

Absolutely. The danger is that if they don't know about the issue they will suddenly start having problems but won't know why....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)