Hr 21 Hd Dvr Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Slick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2004
Hello everyone I have the HD dvr HR21 and I was wondering about the two internet ports on the back of this box is one in and one out? or both of them in?

The reason why I am asking is because I am going to run one or two lines down to my home theather from the computer because my new HD dvd player needs to be hooked up to the internet as well and I was wanting to know if maybe I can run one line down and into the back of the direct tv HR21 box and then out of it to my HD dvd player is this possable or not, Thanks for the help.. Cya Slick

I am going to do what Jag mentioned. My laptop, the HD-DVD player, and my dish box can all use the connection so I am running one line to an old router to make it easier.

There are also many different wireless options also so you don't have to run a cable through you house.

To answer the original question, With the HR21 you can use the second ethernet port to connect another device. The second port on the HR20-100 does not do this, however.

Thanks guys I just purchased this hub today thru newegg good price with the rebate, I dont like to go to cheap thats why I went with this one.. In the manual for my Toshiba A3 they say get a router and so I head over to my sister in laws computer store and I am like now way am I spending $50.00 just to run a line to my home theather room.. Then I talked to my buddy and he was like you can get away with a Hub switcher and I was like cool..

Newegg.com - NETGEAR FS608 10/100Mbps Desktop Switch 8 x RJ45 1K MAC Address Table 64KB Buffer Memory - Retail

Thanks Bob I did not know why the HR21 had two enternet ports on the back they had to be one in and one out made sence to me at least thanks for confirming what I thought was the case..Cya Slick

Has anyone had an experience with the Vizio remote on the HR21-700? I've tried just about every remote code imaginable and can't use my nice new Vizio remote on the Direct receiver.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone had an experience with the Vizio remote on the HR21-700? I've tried just about every remote code imaginable and can't use my nice new Vizio remote on the Direct receiver.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Most remotes will not work D*'s box, they normally don't give out the codes.
Most check to see if their D* remote will work their TV.

Unless you go the Universal route, those seem to work because you can program them to do so.

Jimbo

Vizio/Hr21-700 remote

Thanks Jimbo. I even tried Universal Electronics and the code they gave me didn't work. As many tvs that Vizio is putting out there, eventually either Vizio or Direct will come up with one. Thanks

Thanks Jimbo. I even tried Universal Electronics and the code they gave me didn't work. As many tvs that Vizio is putting out there, eventually either Vizio or Direct will come up with one. Thanks

Alot of guys have Harmony remotes and there are others, I don't know the brand names, you can check Universalremotes ....

Jimbo

I use a Harmony 880 with my Vizio and it works fine.

Bob,
How does it know what the D* code is ?
Does it do a search for the information ?

Is this one you can program with the computer ?
I understand that the D* remote works with it, but do not know how...

Jimbo

BTW, those links above are for ethernet switches, not hubs.

The 880 is programmed on the web via the Harmony website.
They have an extensive data base of codes. You just tell it what equipment you have and answer a few questions for each device.

Wireless

Hey guys im going to be upgrading to the HD21 Dvr. My Question can i use a wireless usb connection to connect it to my network. Thanks

Bob,
How does it know what the D* code is ?
Does it do a search for the information ?

Is this one you can program with the computer ?
I understand that the D* remote works with it, but do not know how...

Jimbo

It comes with a USB cable and you run an application which makes a web connection to Logitech's site (you don't have to enter a code). They have profiles for nearly everything stored and pick the model you have. It isn't perfect, but is a pretty good start. You can modify any of the settings and also commands can be learned from the DTV remote. I have done a fair amount of customizing so I have everything I use on a daily basis showing on the remote without having to page through the soft key settings. Your settings are stored on the web site so you don't have to re-enter anything when making changes. I picked the 880 because it has 8 soft keys but the cheaper models with 6 also work. Amazon and Dell often have pretty good prices (which change often) on Harmony remotes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)