HR-21 to ever have OTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I still don't understand the logic of why they didn't include
the capability in the first place when going from HR20 to HR21,
instead of going backwards - I don't expect they'll make a lot of
bucks setting the add-ons!
Given the unimaginably stupid software implementation of OTA channel availability on the HR20, it seems like they've been toying with this for a while. My hope is that the new device isn't similarly hobbled (but I'm not the least bit optimistic).

Given the unimaginably stupid software implementation of OTA channel availability on the HR20, it seems like they've been toying with this for a while. My hope is that the new device isn't similarly hobbled (but I'm not the least bit optimistic).

Are you EVER the least bit optimistic?

A couple of times. I was rudely shaken back to reality though.

Do you have high expectations that DIRECTV will implement channel scanning in the external tuner?

Good question, actually. High expectations, no, but since the H20's have it, it seems that it could be done. It would be nice.

Good question, actually. High expectations, no, but since the H20's have it, it seems that it could be done. It would be nice.
It is obvious that it could be and has been done on every other ATSC tuning device in the free world, but I think there was a method to their madness which will carry forward. I believe that scanning is a feature that could be added to the HR20 if they chose, but I think they've unfortunately and decidedly chosen not to.

For all of those who say it doesn't matter, you're selfish. It matters to everyone who is not served HD LIL at all or is partially served to the exclusion of one or more major networks. The way things are going, even if DIRECTV is set up for 100% coverage of those capable of seeing all of their birds, if they don't solve the issues with LIN and others who can't come to an agreement, quite a few will be shut out of at least one digital channel.

Last edited:
Where's the external OTA Tuner??

So it's 3/5! Thought the OTA external tuner was going to be availalable in March? Anybody heard anything?

It is obvious that it could be and has been done on every other ATSC tuning device in the free world, but I think there was a method to their madness which will carry forward. I believe that scanning is a feature that could be added to the HR20 if they chose, but I think they've unfortunately and decidedly chosen not to.

For all of those who say it doesn't matter, you're selfish. It matters to everyone who is not served HD LIL at all or is partially served to the exclusion of one or more major networks. The way things are going, even if DIRECTV is set up for 100% coverage of those capable of seeing all of their birds, if they don't solve the issues with LIN and others who can't come to an agreement, quite a few will be shut out of at least one digital channel.

Are you switching from Dish to Directv? It sounds like it this matters to you.

Price of OTA tuner from Direct?

I thought it was quoted as $59? Why $99, did something
happen to almost double it?

Richard L.

There is a chance that when it actually ships the price will be the $59.00 that was mentioned. This info comes from another thread from a well respected source.

It is going to be released soon. In January, they said March, that could have changed since then.

The announced price at CES was $59. While that could change, I think it is just solid signal trying to make a markup - on something they can't even buy yet.

I pre-ordered one at the $99.00 from Solid Signal. If someone else (VE) gets their pre-order up for $59.00 I will cancel and go there. I hope that they don't ration them out like a loaf of bread in a third world country.

What do you mean by channel scanning?

The HR20 only shows the ota channels that are in it's database. The H20 will actually look for stations that are detected by the tuner.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts