HR 21 to HR 24

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
I had 2 HR21's in my home which were connected to my home network (for MRV) and Internet (for VOD) for many many years. Well it turns out both IRD's decided to crap out on me and DirecTV replaced them with HR24's.

I hooked them not up exactly like I had the HR21's but heard the HR's have built in DECA meaning I maybe shouldn't have Ethernet connected to either? MRV is working fine and so is VOD. I've read online that connecting Ethernet isn't good and the built in DECA should be used.

Is this true? If I disconnect the Ethernet won't I loose VOD? What am I missing or doing wrong? DirecTV told me absolutely nothing when replacing my HR21's for HR24's.

Thanks in advance.

The hr24s have internal decas so if an ethernet is connected, then it can cause mrv problems and disable the internal deca. You can get a cinema connection kit wireless and connect wirelessly. If vod is more important than mrv then the ethernet is fine. If mrv is more important or they're equally important, then the cck-w may be the best bet. Or if you're eligible for a Genie upgrade, then that could solve both issues.

Called DirecTV this morning and they are sending me the Wireless Cinema Connection kit for free + $7 shipping. I guess then all I need to do is hook it up and disconnect the Ethernet cables to each of HR24's.

Called DirecTV this morning and they are sending me the Wireless Cinema Connection kit for free + $7 shipping. I guess then all I need to do is hook it up and disconnect the Ethernet cables to each of HR24's.
if those are the only 2 receivers you have, then you don't need a Broadband DECA. The ethernet cable (and disabling its internal DECA) only comes into place if you only have one HR24 connected to ethernet while others are on DECA and you no CCK. In fact, assuming you have those two HR24s only, you are better off using ethernet

the CCK-W is nice if you ever have to swap boxes again and they will automatically connect to it (or should at any rate). however if you find that you have to wait for the VOD to load more often then you're used to, connecting it with the Ethernet cable may be preferable.

Once you disco the Ethernet from the HR24s, they will need to be rebooted in order to switch on their internal DECAs.

So I got my wireless connection kit today. I honestly don't see the point of it. Yea I can disconnect the Ethernet from each box and the built in DECA kicks in for MRV but honestly having the Ethernet is no more slower then DECA for MRV. I don't use VOD all that often but is nice to have.

I was thinking I could put this in my "home run location" plug Ethernet into it then have Internet to my receivers through coax/DECA but this seems to be more for those who don't have Ethernet close and want to connect to their home wifi network from the receiver.

Can I move this between the power inserter and 8 way splitter? So like this... SWM LNB > Power Inserter > wireless Cinema Connection Kit > Splitter > Each HR24

it'll work, but you should generally try to have a splitter in between. apparently they think there's enough power coming out of the IRD side of the power inserter to damage whatever that's going to if it doesn't.

Can I move this between the power inserter and 8 way splitter? So like this... SWM LNB > Power Inserter > wireless Cinema Connection Kit > Splitter > Each HR24
you don't need to connect the CCK-W inline, it can connect to the splitter just as you would any other receiver.

SWM LNB > Splitter > Power inserter
> HR24
> HR24
> CCK-W

Of course, you want to install the CCK-W in a place that gets adequate signal from your router. And lastly, don't forget you can also use the CCK-W "backwards" like a BroadBand DECA.

it'll work, but you should generally try to have a splitter in between. apparently they think there's enough power coming out of the IRD side of the power inserter to damage whatever that's going to if it doesn't.
not sure where that is coming from. The signal to IRD port on the PI is no different than any other port on a the spitter.

Reactions: Hutch1814
not sure where that is coming from. The signal to IRD port on the PI is no different than any other port on a the spitter.

its probably in case of electrical breakdown on the PI itself causes current leakage. im just repeating what i've heard, never really put much stock in that one.

I'll give it a try. If it craps out on me I'll just call and get a new one. As long as it doesn't catch fire and burn my house down I'm good.

its probably in case of electrical breakdown on the PI itself causes current leakage. im just repeating what i've heard, never really put much stock in that one.
there are safeguards to prevent this from happening, same could be say about a splinter passing voltage to LNB. The fact is there is no voltage on the IRD output, and RF is just the same as any other spitter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)