HR 23 / 700 Will not phone home

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TeeDC

Original poster
Jul 31, 2010
United States
I had my HR23 setup about 3 months ago. It's networked using my Linksys BEFSR41 Router and DOWNLOADS VOD just fine.

It is NOT connected to an analog phone line. It is connected to my home network.

All network and system tests complete normally (except for phone line test).

Network setup reports "Successful", yet I cannot download any more movies. I have "5" stored in the system, but the system apparently will not phone home so that I can purchase more.

I have called DirecTV numerous times and I am not impressed with the first level techs. Some of them have even told me that I MUST have an analog phone line connected to order movies. Finally I talked to someone (Carla) in the network support team that said my box is not calling home. She sent several requests while I was on the line....still nothing.

I can still order via Internet, but I want to be able to order via my remote. I DO NOT want to string an analog phone line to the unit. I have tried both STATIC and DHCP-both work to download VOD. But I still get "777" when trying to order PPV.

System shows 5 purchases in the INFO section but the unit still wont call home. DirecTV said the system has not called home since the install (phone line).

I'm an MCSE and have checked all the obvious network issues including DMZ'ing the box's IP. Anybody know what else I can check?

UPDATE

After reading this thread on the DirecTV forums:

Whoever you speak to must change the IPPV from telephone to Internet of each of your receivers. If a live Internet connection is attached to a DVR before it is plugged in the first time the activation for IPPV will occur automatically. However if no phone or Internet connection is made at the time of activation, the DVR will shut down IPPV and you'll get the fault message you're seeing.

UPDATE!

I called DirecTV after seeing this thread...just to double check if IPPV was turned on for this box. It wasn't.

They turned it on and it still didn't work.

Then they requested a callback from the unit....three times over an hour period, but the unit had not called back in three months.
Requesting a callback did not fix the issue.

Then a network tech support person (Kent) deactivated the box and reactivated it.
SUCCESS!! Now I can order movies via my remote using my LAN connection.

THANK GOD!!

Now...why did I have to go through talking with 13 different people (many of which did not understand their own hardware, one of which was extremely rude) before they were able to correct this problem?

Nonetheless...I am happier now, despite having to find the answer myself.

Apparently, I spoke too soon. Still having problems. Calling Dish tomorrow, as it seems DirecTV doesn't know what they are doing.

Apparently, I spoke too soon. Still having problems. Calling Dish tomorrow, as it seems DirecTV doesn't know what they are doing.

Call them back, tell them to turn on you IPPV, that should allow it to call home. Otherwise if it's broken, tell them the box is bad and send a new one out.

Dish won't be able to help you :rolleyes:

In order to use the REMOTE to order movies you need a phone line plugged in...
It's always been that way, unless it's read thru the internet, but I have never heard of this option, so I doubt that it does that.
I know you can d/l from the internet connection, but that would not work with the remote.

Dish won't be able to help you :rolleyes:

In order to use the REMOTE to order movies you need a phone line plugged in...
It's always been that way, unless it's read thru the internet, but I have never heard of this option, so I doubt that it does that.
I know you can d/l from the internet connection, but that would not work with the remote.

According to this page on the Directv website, you can order PPVs through broadband internet:

DIRECTV Ordering DIRECTV Cinema

Cool, I knew you could d/l , was not aware that you could order online with the remote thru the internet.

Yeah, well. I am going on a year now with no resolution to the IPPV problem. TVApps has never worked either (301 message). Still, I can download free movies all day long. All network tests pass with flying colors.

Apparently, lots of people are having this issue with this box, but DTV doesn't want to swap it out. For the 11th time, I am told this case was escalated to an engineer that will call me back :rolleyes: - that never happens.

I really think it's time to do away with my analog phone line, which means bye bye DTV. :mad:

I'm surprised that you let 7 months go by without an to this thread.
Have you tried calling again in these 7 months?
Maybe a re-authorization using the website will work followed by a restart.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)