HR10-250 Networking question....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

smitchell

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 23, 2004
Metro Detroit
Hi, just got the DirecTV TIVO HR10-250 & wanted to connect it to my router so I could access the TIVO aspects remotely so as to record programs from work. Is it true that DirecTV prevents this yet regular TIVO 2 has this functionality? It has a USB port, but apparently it currently does not work but will possibly in the "future", per DirecTV CR & the owners manual! But with the new MPEG4 stuff coming out relatively soon, seems like this feature will never work!

I did a search but didn't see anything related to this. Can anyone shed some light on why this is or provide any links for more info or perhaps have a work around? Sure would be nice to record something remotely if its forgotten to ahead of time!

Thanks!

Steve

Directv has no intentions of activating the USB port so none of the remote functions will be possible now or in the future. The MPEG-4 DVR's might possibly have this kind of functionality but nothing has been said for sure as of yet.

ramy said:
Directv has no intentions of activating the USB port so none of the remote functions will be possible now or in the future. The MPEG-4 DVR's might possibly have this kind of functionality but nothing has been said for sure as of yet.

Dish, unfortunately, has beaten DTV to the punch on the real use of the USB port, and has contracts in place for 20, 40, and 100 gig handheld media viewers, which will interface with Dish's high end 942 DVR, allegedly downloading an entire movie to the handheld in under ten minutes.

whether DTV decides to pursue the competition will ultimately decide when they activate the USB port, though a lot of adverse input from mad customers can't hurt, i email 'em all the time.

i'd like to take flicks to my computer without having to use capture programs in real time, and would also like to use my high speed home network to be able to view things saved on my office DVR out in the Living Room when that's more convenient, or if all the kids want to watch something i have recorded.

DTV is in no hurry, though, more's the pity.

jgs

Anyone have any reliable hack info or links that will enable the USB port for the DirecTV HD-Tivo. Just looking to access & record shows from work that I forgot to record beforehand!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)