HR10-250 OTA Reception?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pinkfloyd

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
I am using a small outdoor antenna which pulls in all the local digital channels if I connect it to the TV directly or to an LG External ATSC reciever. However if I hook it up to the HR10-250 , I am only able to pull in WB and UPN, It wont pull in any of the big 4, sometime Fox but very pixelated.. I am in Wallingford CT. 06492. Signal strength is good when bypassing the HR10250.

The HR10-250 does not have a good OTA tuner. The H20 is much better because it's a newer generation tuner. We'll have to wait until the replacement HD DVR comes out to hopefully get the newer OTA tuner.

Using an Amplifier makes thing worse...

Using an Amp makes things worse.. I actually lose stations .. I am thinking the tuner in the Tivo unit is bad.

I have a radio shack indoor amplified antenna (kinda looks like the Enterprise from Star trek!! :D ) and 90% of the time works very well for all my local stations (signals in the upper 80s). I'm about 20 miles from my towers and in an area surrounded by houses and tall trees. My Hd tivo tuner is actually much better than the 811 I also have. So, maybe your tuner is not working properly...

Pinkfloyd said:
Using an Amp makes things worse.. I actually lose stations .. I am thinking the tuner in the Tivo unit is bad.
If an amp makes it worse, your problem may be multipath and not signal strength. As the HR10-250 has an older-generation tuner, it doesn't handle multipath well at all.

I've been told that an attenuator can help but I've never experienced this myself. You might want to check over on avsforum -- they should have a thread for your local area.

--chris

Thats what I heard too, that the H10-250s have bad tuners. One time I install an ota which is near the towers, I got 0 receptions, but I swap out the H10-250 with another H10-250 and most of my locals comes in. This happen to me and one of my friends too.

I have tried everything.. Still no luck. I get the channels through the TV tuner , but now I cant Tivo them. I hope they come out with a new DVR soon!

jckm78 said:
Thats what I heard too, that the H10-250s have bad tuners. One time I install an ota which is near the towers, I got 0 receptions, but I swap out the H10-250 with another H10-250 and most of my locals comes in. This happen to me and one of my friends too.

I tried an antenuator it does help, I am getting a few more stations now by using an amp & antenuator.

Hey Pinkfloyd, can you give some more details on what you used? I am in Cromwell and have the same problem as you. My Zenith receiver gets pretty much the channels I'm looking for, but the HDTivo is very spotty OTA.

I am using a channel master 3044 4-way distribution amplifier. I have it hooked up after a (Radio Shack) variable antennuator. You can get the antenuator for about $10 and the 4-way amp for about $30, I am using a small outdoor antenna , very similar to a square shooter, I have the antenna between pointed between waterbury and Hartford.. The WB WTXX-20 Comes out of waterbury, that is what I focus most on (It is the weakest signal for me) . I get the New Haven signals without even using an antenna..

jake14mw said:
Hey Pinkfloyd, can you give some more details on what you used? I am in Cromwell and have the same problem as you. My Zenith receiver gets pretty much the channels I'm looking for, but the HDTivo is very spotty OTA.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)